Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Alternative Views - Click Here to Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 03:41 AM   #1
Ohio

Default Re: Politics and the Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons to Glory! View Post
I read something yesterday that my (very conservative) dad sent it to me, about how impeaching Trump would be a good thing. It talked about how when formal impeachment proceedings occur, Trump's team would then have wide latitude to subpoena anybody they want. So, as the piece went, they could bring to light all the rumors about supposed underhanded dealings against Trump.

As most seem to agree, it went on to reiterate that the Republican Senate would never vote to remove Trump. But all this shadowy stuff from the left would have been brought into the light, which potentially could be very damaging to democrats - and would thereby insure Trump's reelection.

Politic is like an evil chess game . . .
Ahh ... But at least chess games have rules which both sides agree to. This Current impeachment "inquiry" is not following any rules. No House vote. Not led by Judiciery Committee. Meetings held in secret. Manuscrpts not available to Minority. "Whistle blower" working with House Committee. Etc.

As I watch the media propaganda in operation, I now understand how totalitarian regimes can use the Press to control the minds of its people.

The good thing is we still have alternative sources to find the truth. I have concluded long ago that nearly without exception everything the Trump admin is accused of is exactly what the Left is doing. The current events surrounding Ukraine is a classic example of this. Romans 2.1 has always defined evil.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
TLFisher

Default Hiding History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Ahh ... But at least chess games have rules which both sides agree to. This Current impeachment "inquiry" is not following any rules. No House vote. Not led by Judiciery Committee. Meetings held in secret. Manuscrpts not available to Minority. "Whistle blower" working with House Committee. Etc.

As I watch the media propaganda in operation, I now understand how totalitarian regimes can use the Press to control the minds of its people.

The good thing is we still have alternative sources to find the truth. I have concluded long ago that nearly without exception everything the Trump admin is accused of is exactly what the Left is doing. The current events surrounding Ukraine is a classic example of this. Romans 2.1 has always defined evil.
One thing about the current state of American politics is it reminds me so much of the Local Churches I left behind.
Talk about rules and how the current House changed the rules back on August 12. Ironically the same day the whistleblower sent in her/his letter.
Much the same was the local churches in the mid to late 80's when LSM co-workers changed the rules by which many elders had operated by for years. They felt undermined and manipulated. I'm sure many of those GOP in the House ore Representatives are voicing much the same.
Just as the left is accusing Trump of what they're doing, the LSM co-workers accused Ingalls, So, Mallon, etc of doing what they the LSM co-workers were doing.
Whenever Speaker Pelosi is declaring Trump as being lawless, I say "mirror". She, Schiff, etc are projecting exactly what they are doing. When there was talk about investigating into Ukraine, why the backlash? What is there to hide? Crowdstrike? Nepotism? Just like the LSM, the liberals in power of US Government have something they are desperate to keep hidden.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #3
Ohio

Default Re: Hiding History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
One thing about the current state of American politics is it reminds me so much of the Local Churches I left behind.
Talk about rules and how the current House changed the rules back on August 12. Ironically the same day the whistleblower sent in her/his letter.
Much the same was the local churches in the mid to late 80's when LSM co-workers changed the rules by which many elders had operated by for years. They felt undermined and manipulated. I'm sure many of those GOP in the House ore Representatives are voicing much the same.
Just as the left is accusing Trump of what they're doing, the LSM co-workers accused Ingalls, So, Mallon, etc of doing what they the LSM co-workers were doing.
Whenever Speaker Pelosi is declaring Trump as being lawless, I say "mirror". She, Schiff, etc are projecting exactly what they are doing. When there was talk about investigating into Ukraine, why the backlash? What is there to hide? Crowdstrike? Nepotism? Just like the LSM, the liberals in power of US Government have something they are desperate to keep hidden.
Yes, the similarities of lawlessness are seen everywhere.

Many comparisons between today's Impeachment and the Whistler Quarantine Kangaroo Court.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #4
awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
If you don't want to impeach Trump, and toss him out of office, you aren't part of the 51% of the recent Fox poll.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
If you don't want to impeach Trump, and toss him out of office, you aren't part of the 51% of the recent Fox poll.
Never trust a Fox poll. But if right, so what? Do we allow the latest mood of the tyranny of the majority to guide us?

I live by convictions, not what everybody in the majority happens to think. Or not.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
Sons to Glory!

Quote:
Never trust a Fox poll. But if right, so what? Do we allow the latest mood of the tyranny of the majority to guide us?

I live by convictions, not what everybody in the majority happens to think. Or not.
So again, impeachment is not a bad thing and doesn't mean removal, which the Senate will likely never do. But the whole thing will bring many things into the light of day - shenanigans done by those on both sides.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
OBW

Quote:
I can agree. But I also recognize that a government of the people will necessarily respond to the majority. It is through reliance on the decency of people that the majority doesn't just jail everyone else (at a hyperbolic extreme). But it requires a majority to do anything. And sometimes it takes compromise between two or more minorities to achieve a majority.

If there is no majority — by a single group or a collection of groups — then nothing happens. But with a majority, things can, and often do, happen.

And when we are in the majority, we like what happens. But when we are in the minority, we don't like what happens.

But either way, we are not the only ones who comprise the right (correct) or only reasonable course of action. And we are not the only reasonable people on the continent. And all of the reasonable persons do not agree on everything. And, unfortunately, the unreasonable (and ignorant) are part of what helps make almost any group into the majority on any particular issue at any particular moment.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #8
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
I can agree. But I also recognize that a government of the people will necessarily respond to the majority. It is through reliance on the decency of people that the majority doesn't just jail everyone else (at a hyperbolic extreme). But it requires a majority to do anything. And sometimes it takes compromise between two or more minorities to achieve a majority.

If there is no majority — by a single group or a collection of groups — then nothing happens. But with a majority, things can, and often do, happen.

And when we are in the majority, we like what happens. But when we are in the minority, we don't like what happens.

But either way, we are not the only ones who comprise the right (correct) or only reasonable course of action. And we are not the only reasonable people on the continent. And all of the reasonable persons do not agree on everything. And, unfortunately, the unreasonable (and ignorant) are part of what helps make almost any group into the majority on any particular issue at any particular moment.
But what all sides require, regardless of party or policy, is a "somewhat" fair, honest, and unbiased Press. Unfortunately this has slowly deteriorated over the years. Without an honest Press, all we have is unprincipled propaganda. Forget about the two sides working together. We have one side who refuses to admit that the President was democratically elected. Without this, there is no democracy. The people have no ability to peacefully express their will.

Now we have one side, using the power of the Press, and the power of our intelligence community, continually demagoguing every news event. We are constantly subjected to one outrageous accusation after another. Like a revolving door, every day brings fresh charges, and forgotten defenses of old charges. Except for some Trump-polemic websites, there is no way to even know that these endless accusations have been constantly debunked.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #9
OBW

Quote:
But what all sides require, regardless of party or policy, is a "somewhat" fair, honest, and unbiased Press. Unfortunately this has slowly deteriorated over the years.
What we like to think about the near past ignores the more distant history. At the time of the founding of our nation, most newspapers were owned by the wealthy. Generally one wealthy person per paper. His thoughts drove how that paper wrote and reported. There was no such thing as an unbiased press.

To get the news, you had to understand the bias of the owner of each newspaper. Of course, there were many newspapers in those days. It has only been in the past 100 or s years that it began to consolidate into 1 or 2 broadly-published local papers. And even there it was often that one was more to one side of things than the other. That is the way it was in Dallas until the Times Herald folded into the Morning News (in the 90s?). Neither was strongly to either side, but now there is only one. (And depending on the side you are on, you swear it leans to the other.)

So what it really requires is an educated population that is not easily swayed by fake news. And despite my leaning to the right on things, I find much more truly fake news to come from the right (especailly FOX News) than from the others. I may not always like where the editorial content of the others goes, but I trust their basic reporting far above that of FOX. FOXy gets a failing grade from me.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #10
awareness

Quote:

Must still be LC slooshing around in there somewhere. In that case, there's a new wave in the Trump cult. Now it's :

Lock Him up! Lock Him up! Lock Him up! Lock Him up! Lock Him up! Lock Him up! Lock Him up!

Oddly, the left agrees.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #11
Ohio

Just amazing how the Left elects idiots . . .

Old 10-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #12
Ohio

And they want to see Trump's taxes . . .