Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Apologetic discussions

Apologetic discussions Apologetic Discussions Regarding the Teachings of Watchman Nee and Witness Lee

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2018, 05:22 AM   #11
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: Apostles in The Church: Yesterday and Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
2Co 11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
Why do you think Paul warned about "self transformers?"
I find this whole concept of "Apostolic authority" bizarrely interesting. Yes, it is mentioned once in the NT:

So in the same section where Paul tells us everything he didn't do -- his appeal does not come from delusions or impure motives [reminds me of the MOTA], nor was it motivated by deceit [again, reminds me of the MOTA]. He spoke the gospel, not as a way of pleasing people to gain power and popularity. He didn't speak with words of flattery nor with a pretext for greed. He didn't seek glory and honor from people. In this context he also tells us he didn't assert his authority as an apostle. (1Thess 1:3-6).

Think about that, it is the only place in the NT that refers to "apostolic authority" and it is referred to as something that Paul did not assert. Nor do we see Peter asserting it when Paul rebukes him. On the other hand John refers to Diotrophese asserting his authority when he refuses brothers sent by John because "he loves the preeminence among them"

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems to me this whole "MOTA" and "apostolic authority" refers to those who love preeminence in the church, like the false brothers who wanted to bring others into bondage.

The authority that was given to Paul, which he refers to in his epistle to the Corinthians, and which he does use is the authority that was given by the Lord in Matthew 18 to those who are meeting in the Lord's name.