Thread: A Word of Love
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #96
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: A Word of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
Does the gospel fall apart if this passage actually was very intentionally spoken only to the 11? I'm not saying that it definitely was. But if that is what actually happened, what does it change?
For the sake of clearing up confusion I didn't want to quote your post at all, rather focus on the passage in question. However, for the sake of the thread I felt this was a critical question. It seems central to the discussion, and helps with the continuity.

The passage in question is from Matt 28:16-20 (not Acts 1:8 which is the verse that charges the disciples to go into all the world).

28:16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
28:17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

This is the conclusion to the book of Matthew. In this passage the Lord says that "all power" or "all authority" has been given unto him in heaven and in earth. Matthew presents Jesus as a king, it concludes with his being given all authority in heaven and in earth. This is why anyone who confesses that Jesus is Lord shall be saved (Romans). This verse is spoken to every believer. This gospel records the fact that it was spoken to the 11 disciples, but it also records the fact that these disciples were commissioned to disciple the nations, teaching them all things, and that is what Matthew is doing in the gospel. So saying that the word was spoken to the 11 is fine, but then you also have to agree that the gospel was written for every believer. You say that this great commission in Matthew was only spoken to the 11 and was not for the average Christian, that includes this word that is the conclusion to the entire gospel. What was the point of being crucified? What was the point of the earthly ministry? Obviously the gospel of Matthew falls apart if you take away the fact that Jesus is now Lord!

Go Ye -- you have made this verse to mean that the Lord was charging the 11 to go on missionary journeys. I understand this word to mean that the disciples, and the believers, and the church that Jesus promised to build in Matthew, is charged to actively do a work. If your congregation is actively involved in discipling the nations and teaching them all things that Jesus commanded, then your congregation is actively responding to this commission. If you are serving within the congregation, then your services is also part of this work. Paul was called to be an apostle (Rom 1:1). Every single believer that received Christ has also been called. (Rom 1:6). No one is saying that they also have been called to be apostles, perhaps they have been called to be a sanitation worker that expresses Christ. But that calling is according to the Lord's burden to disciple all the nations. That is the commission that is given to the church:

Ephesians 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
1:19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
1:21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
1:23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Finally, there is a promise "Lo I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen" Yes, if you tell me that this promise is not for the average believer it diminishes the gospel of Matthew, yes it changes a lot.

Now you are the one who is asking what happens if this passage is not spoken to all believers. This is why I am astounded you would even ask such a thing. You seem to have confused Matt 28 with Acts 13:2