Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Oh Lord, Where Do We Go From Here?

Oh Lord, Where Do We Go From Here? Current and former members (and anyone in between!)... tell us what is on your mind and in your heart.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
Ohio

Default Re: Tips on Making Leaving the LC Easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
Although certainly we are supposed to seek the input of other believers in our life, the extremes to which the LC emphasized this principle was ridiculous. I believe it put in us an idea that was fundamentally wrong, and which if not rooted out, will always hinder us.

This wrong idea, for me, can be summed up as simply, "believing something just because someone else does."
For me personally, I would like to add to your maxim ... "believing something, contrary to either the scriptures or our conscience, just because someone else does."

In the years since we have left, my wife and I often have this experience: while listening to some healthy ministry, either in a book, or on TV, or in person, we would look at each other and say, "that's not how we were taught." And in one more area, we find ourselves being re-calibrated, de-toxed, and un-leavened.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
For me personally, I would like to add to your maxim ... "believing something, contrary to either the scriptures or our conscience, just because someone else does."

In the years since we have left, my wife and I often have this experience: while listening to some healthy ministry, either in a book, or on TV, or in person, we would look at each other and say, "that's not how we were taught." And in one more area, we find ourselves being re-calibrated, de-toxed, and un-leavened.
I think you are perhaps still missing my point (not to take away from yours).

What I'm saying is not to say 'well my leader said it, so I'm going to believe it until I have a good reason not to.' No. Say, 'my leader said it, but I'm not going to believe it until I have a good reason to believe it.' Until then, belief is going to have to wait. If that hurts your leader's feelings, that's his problem.

Don't believe things to go along to get along.
Don't believe things to show your "oneness."
Don't believe things to show you are a team player.
Don't believe things because you respect the source.
Believe them because you know they are true. Until then, don't.

What's the hurry to believe them, anyway? How many more beliefs do you really need?

Remember how in the LC we were so quick to "Amen" everything? I watched a video of a table meeting. The amening was mindless. That's what I'm warning about--that need to show solidarity, however mindless it may be. Or, the mistaken idea that God honors our mindless support of directives for no other reason other than to show support. I don't think God likes that. I think he expects us to carefully consider what is valid before we say "Amen!"

Here's the thing. If you just believe something because some leader told you to, you really don't even believe it. Because if all you know is that he told you to believe it then you don't understand it. So when push comes to shove you are just accepting someone else's thinking. This is how the LC controls people. It's how to create clueless disciples who can't think for themselves. Eventually that person is going to be lost without someone telling him what to believe. Of course, that's what the LC wants, so they are fine with that. I don't think God is fine with it at all.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
I think you are perhaps still missing my point (not to take away from yours).
No, not at all, I'm not missing your point.

I'm just fitting it into my own value system. After all, isn't that what is meant by "LC Discussions" in the truest sense? And you wouldn't want me to take your word just because you said so, would you?

Actually I have taken this maxim to heart in these recent years even before you wrote this. One such arena common to nearly all Christians is tithing. Every church I visit, presents this as a given article of the faith. I cannot believe it, and have rejected it. One prominent minister, though not unique, claims that tithing is our covenant with God. Our blessing as children of God hinges on our commitment to faithfully tithe. I won't believe it just because my pastor, or the many teach it. In fact I believe exhortations to tithe are manipulative and self serving in nature, and often breed corruption.

I use this as just one example of my "not believing things to go along to get along, to show my "oneness," to show I am a team player, or because I respect the source." I will not believe it until I "know it is true."
Old 03-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
OBW

It's a tough row to hoe.

We should be imitators of certain ones. We should follow those that we determine are truly following Christ. It is unhealthy to go it completely alone.

Yet we should also be on guard as we watch for wolves in sheep's clothing. As we see the evidence of mishandling of the word and misuse/abuse of the trust of the flock. That even means don't just accept that what someone calls a wolf is so because they may be doing the old misdirect. The old bait-and-switch.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
No, not at all, I'm not missing your point.
I'm glad to see we understand each other.

What set this off in me is I noticed recently I still have this thing in me that thinks I'm supposed to believe things just because my leaders say them, as if that's part of honoring them. I noticed how it makes me feel compromised and resentful, even though I wasn't always aware I was having those feelings.

I think you can still be supportive of leaders without having to believe their take on everything. I have great respect and admiration for my pastor, but I disagree with him on much. He doesn't need me to pretend I agree with him, though I once thought that was a duty of mine.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote