Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Writings of Former Members > Writings and Concerns of Steve Isitt

Old 04-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
Indiana

Default Punished for Being Truthful

Punished for Being Truthful
(China Since WWII excerpt)

“Historians today estimate that 20 million Chinese died of starvation from 1958 to the early 1960s. Communist officials became aware of the growing disaster but were afraid to criticize the Great Leap Forward because it meant attacking Mao Zedong’s ideas. But in July 1959 Peng Dehuai dared to call the plans unrealistic at a Communist Party meeting in Lushan. Mao was angry that someone had dared question him, but he accepted responsibility for the failure. On July 23 Mao admitted, “It is I who am to blame.”

"After that meeting, the CCP retreated from the Great Leap....

Mao the All-Powerful
"Even though Peng had been accurate in his assessment of the situation, he was punished for being truthful. He was dismissed as minister of defense and spent many years in forced labor camps. Mao was so powerful that it was dangerous to challenge him even when everyone knew he was wrong. His power stemmed not only from the positions he held but from the deep reverence most Chinese had for the leader of the Communist revolution.

"Mao displayed this power during the meeting at Lushan. After accepting the blame for the failure of the Great Leap, he told the other Communist leaders that if his apology was not good enough he would go to the countryside to lead the peasants to overthrow the government. If those of you in the Liberation Army won’t follow me, then I will go and find a Red Army, and organize another Liberation Army.” The officials knew that Mao’s threat was not an idle one. They backed down on criticizing him any further because they feared that Mao could lead another revolt that could topple their government.”
…………………………………………………………………

Fair Comparisons of Lee to Mao
The Fermentation of the Present Rebellion is a fabrication of church history involving men who were punished for speaking the truth. In Brother Lee’s final words of dishonor about them, he said, “instead of excellent Christian virtues, what we see in the present rebellion are exaggerated criticisms…” (p. 75). But the facts tell the story and put the blame where it belongs. At least Mao in communist China could capitulate to the truth - "It is I who am to blame." However, this "excellent Christian virtue" of confessing the truth escaped Brother Lee, and it also escapes Local Church leaders who have followed him closely.

http://www.hidinghistoryinthelordsrecovery.us/Mao.pdf
Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 04:07 AM   #2
aron

Default Re: Punished for Being Truthful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana View Post
Punished for Being Truthful
(China Since WWII excerpt)

“Historians today estimate that 20 million Chinese died of starvation from 1958 to the early 1960s. Communist officials became aware of the growing disaster but were afraid to criticize the Great Leap Forward because it meant attacking Mao Zedong’s ideas. But in July 1959 Peng Dehuai dared to call the plans unrealistic at a Communist Party meeting in Lushan. Mao was angry that someone had dared question him, but he accepted responsibility for the failure. On July 23 Mao admitted, “It is I who am to blame.”

"After that meeting, the CCP retreated from the Great Leap....

Mao the All-Powerful
"Even though Peng had been accurate in his assessment of the situation, he was punished for being truthful. He was dismissed as minister of defense and spent many years in forced labor camps. Mao was so powerful that it was dangerous to challenge him even when everyone knew he was wrong. His power stemmed not only from the positions he held but from the deep reverence most Chinese had for the leader of the Communist revolution.

"Mao displayed this power during the meeting at Lushan. After accepting the blame for the failure of the Great Leap, he told the other Communist leaders that if his apology was not good enough he would go to the countryside to lead the peasants to overthrow the government. If those of you in the Liberation Army won’t follow me, then I will go and find a Red Army, and organize another Liberation Army.” The officials knew that Mao’s threat was not an idle one. They backed down on criticizing him any further because they feared that Mao could lead another revolt that could topple their government.”
…………………………………………………………………

Fair Comparisons of Lee to Mao
The Fermentation of the Present Rebellion is a fabrication of church history involving men who were punished for speaking the truth. In Brother Lee’s final words of dishonor about them, he said, “instead of excellent Christian virtues, what we see in the present rebellion are exaggerated criticisms…” (p. 75). But the facts tell the story and put the blame where it belongs. At least Mao in communist China could capitulate to the truth - "It is I who am to blame." However, this "excellent Christian virtue" of confessing the truth escaped Brother Lee, and it also escapes Local Church leaders who have followed him closely.
One of the interesting things about the truth is that there is a price. John Ingalls paid the price, Godfred Otuteye, as did Steve Isitt. When I was new in the Local Church, one day I stumbled upon two brothers discussing recent affairs. I had heard oblique references in the meetings, but it was being hush-hushed. Nobody wanted to give information. There was a "storm". I read the book Fermentation of the Present Rebellion and was shocked at the language Witness Lee used. Somehow, the divine and mystical veneer had pulled back, for a bit.

So, when I heard this discussion, I asked them what was going on. They both looked down and one said, "We don't talk about it." Now, at that point, I was on fire and sold out and wrecked (LC terms of commitment) for what I thought was God's move, I was in corporate living with other college-age brothers, and immersed in the so-called church life 24/7. So, I adopted the group norms, and didn't say anything more. Silence was the watchword. Don't ask, don't tell.

The monopoly of silence was broken when Steve Isitt was in a meeting and heard Witness Lee say, "We need to find out what happened to those who left", and took him at his word. What Steve didn't realize that this statement, and charge, was window dressing to keep up appearances, that WL didn't really want the truth to come out. When Steve tracked down those who had left, and brought their stories to the local elders, they were aghast. No! Not the truth! Eventually, Steve was given the ultimatum: conform to the Local Church traditions of silence, or hold to the truth. Either way, he was going to pay a price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ingalls
Dick Taylor, an elder in Long Beach, started with a lively, full-of enjoyment kind of testimony, such as Dick is well-known for, thanking the Lord for the door-knocking and the Gospel preaching in Long Beach, but ending with an honest word about the depression and the discouragement among some of the saints. This was unusual for Dick but he was telling it like it was. Other brothers followed who also spoke very honestly about dissensions concerning the new way and discouragement among the saints in their localities, for which they were very concerned. In some places divisions had arisen over the new way.

John Smith, an elder in San Diego, ended the time of sharing with an honest account of his concerns for the saints in his church, mentioning how he feared that with the overemphasis on methods, numbers, and increase the saints would become activity-centered instead of Christ-centered.

What was extraordinary was the elders speaking up in such an honest and forthright way, knowing that such reports were not what Brother liked or wanted to hear. We were not accustomed to doing this due partly to a sense of intimidation. To my knowledge this was the first time that had been done. This was encouraging. But Brother Lee was visibly bothered, and later reacted strongly to the brothers’ speaking, saying of one brother’s sharing (John Smith’s) that it was like pouring iced water on him.
https://bibleread.online/all-books-b...read-online/5/

Last edited by aron; 03-31-2024 at 08:01 AM.
aron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:05 PM   #3
PriestlyScribe

Default Re: Punished for Being Truthful

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post
The monopoly of silence was broken when Steve Isitt was in a meeting and heard Witness Lee say, "We need to find out what happened to those who left", and took him at his word. What Steve didn't realize that this statement, and charge, was window dressing to keep up appearances, that WL didn't really want the truth to come out.
Window Dressing - that really could apply to certain portions of WL's ministry, like this odd recording where he exhorted elders to take care of the saint's souls: The Elders Should be Shepherding the Saint's ''SOULS'' (1min - mp3)

Below is another example of WL appealing to common sense and scripture when it comes to valuing people - yet he would a few years later talk only about the need to seek good material. Crazy making inconsistencies abound with Lee.

And it's even possible that WL learned this "Window Dressing" technique directly from Mao.

P.S.
Therefore seeing we have this ministry, even as we obtained mercy, we faint not; but we have renounced the hidden things of shame, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by the manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God. [2 Cor 4:1-2 ASV] - Our YouTube Channel - OUR WEBSITES - OUR FAVORITE SONG, ''I Abdicate''
PriestlyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote