Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Spiritual Abuse Titles

Spiritual Abuse Titles Spiritual abuse is the mistreatment of a person who is in need of help, support or greater spiritual empowerment, with the result of weakening, undermining or decreasing that person's spiritual empowerment.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:53 AM   #1
aron

Default Re: Whistleblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
I'd add to the list of sinful behavior by these elders: cowardice, ambition and idol worship of Witness Lee.

Nell
In the LC we were told to "take Christ as our person", but instead we got a persona, an act, covering a man-made system that invited abuse, up to and including sexual abuse. Everything was for the system, which was deemed sacrosanct. In this the LC was no different from the RCC, Miramax, or PSU Football. Evil men abused the system, and "system men" (and women) abetted their abuses.

The "Christ" of the LC didn't care for the poor, often denigrated women, didn't care for righteousness ("we don't care about right and wrong, but about 'life'"), was all about man-pleasing, and was only interested in the scripture inasmuch as it could be used as a prop for the system.

The person of the Bible is Jesus. He would never do this stuff, he would never condone this stuff, he would never look the other way and pretend. Never. No chance.

He hung out with sinners, which shocked many, but he himself was righteous, compassionate, giving, and holy. He would not and could not participate in schemes of deceit and treachery. He was full of respect (love, compassion, care) for others. None of us match him in full. At best we can faintly reflect him in part. But let's not kid ourselves, and presume to be something we're not.

If we focus on him, and him alone, all other reality will emerge. "Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made" ~John 1:3 NIV
Old 03-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #2
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post
In the LC we were told to "take Christ as our person", but instead we got a persona, an act, covering a man-made system that invited abuse, up to and including sexual abuse. Everything was for the system, which was deemed sacrosanct. In this the LC was no different from the RCC, Miramax, or PSU Football. Evil men abused the system, and "system men" (and women) abetted their abuses.
Constantly in the system we were indoctrinated that the "ministry was for the churches," but all the evidence was to the contrary. When the Midwest received anonymous mailings of chaos in Anaheim, we were all told by TC, "shame on those elders," and the "mistakes of my spiritual father are none of my business." But who stood up for righteousness? And who asked the Lord what we should do?

We were indoctrinated in a system watching all the brothers regularly rebuked by the "master," both in Anaheim and Cleveland. Yet simultaneously we were warned that the master was never to be critiqued. Remember what happened to Noah's son? Cursed. Remember what happened to Moses' sister? Leprosy.

What teaching could create such a dangerous system as the Recovery? Deputy authority. The teaching that one man on earth in every age stood in place of God to rule over others. Such a man alone had the oracle of God, and such a man alone was above reproach, the recovery's version of "the infallibility of the Pope." A recipe for abuse and corruption. The license to abuse others and personally escape all culpability. With these ingredients, abuse happens every time. With the Lee family, it was happening all the time.

Never forget that abuse breeds more abuse. Brothers abused then abuse others. I've seen it. I've lived it. I'm guilty too. Apostle Paul, on the contrary, was gentle towards all, as a nursing mother, night and day with tears. Examples of his love for the saints are sprinkled throughout the N.T. Never forget that love breeds more love. Brothers loved then love others.

Regarding the abuses suffered in the Recovery, it's amazing how a little sunshine could have healed us by exposing the sin. This has always been my biggest complaint about Witness Lee. It's one thing to have rotten kids, it's another thing to let them damage the children of God. Lee not only let "the damage" run wild, but he would smear the reputations of any and all whistleblowers. Then for months in the aftermath we would be instructed how evil these whistleblowers were, and how Lee himself was brutally "victimized." Disgusting! Just disgusting!
Old 03-14-2019, 07:34 AM   #3
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
What teaching could create such a dangerous system as the Recovery? Deputy authority. The teaching that one man on earth in every age stood in place of God to rule over others. Such a man alone had the oracle of God, and such a man alone was above reproach, the recovery's version of "the infallibility of the Pope." A recipe for abuse and corruption. The license to abuse others and personally escape all culpability. With these ingredients, abuse happens every time. With the Lee family, it was happening all the time.
Yes, the potential for corruption is built into the model. I've made the point before that corruption is inevitable in church group that operates under the deputy authority model, because (1) such power corrupts and, (2) once the corruption starts, the model must cover it up and destroy whistleblowers to preserve the image of the deputy authority, which the model needs to continue. So the very preservation of the model itself ensures someone is going to get run over.

In the LR, this is just part of the routine. Everyone there is either ignorant of it or in denial about it.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #4
JLBW

I'm not sure if posting here had anything to do with what is happening in our life right now but we left our LC recently but last night we learned of gossip and are now being quarantined.....for leaving due to sexual abuse that we kept covered except for sharing with a few trusted friends. I guess it's time to make a formal announcement!?
Thankfully we are out but this song came to mind last night and I wanted to share

"Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face.
They livin' it up at the Hotel California
What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise), bring your alibis

Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said, 'we are all just prisoners here, of our own device'
And in the master's chambers,
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
'Relax' said the night man,
'We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!'
JLBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:38 AM   #5
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBW View Post
I'm not sure if posting here had anything to do with what is happening in our life right now but we left our LC recently but last night we learned of gossip and are now being quarantined.....for leaving due to sexual abuse that we kept covered except for sharing with a few trusted friends. I guess it's time to make a formal announcement!?
There you go. The other shoe drops. Quarantined for sharing and responding to the truth about being abused. That's "the Lord's Recovery" for you. Where down is up and up is down. How could such a place ever seriously make the claim of being "God's best."

From what I've seen of you, sister, you have a strength and confidence that is impressive. I think that and your faith will get you through just fine. Life throws us bewildering curve balls. I recently went through a quite unexpected divorce. I have two teenagers. Traumatic doesn't even begin to describe it. But I have learned, like never before, how God can cause bad things to work for good. That he will do if we just keep trusting and give it all back to him.

But at least you can be clear that this group, for all the good things there, is nothing special, and in fact has many problems which should lead Christians to avoid it. Take the good with you, including any friendships you can maintain. Leave the bad behind. Be positive and forward-looking. Walk in freedom. Be big-hearted. But... remain as wise as a serpent.

Great song, too!
Old 03-14-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
JLBW

Thank you brother! I believe my marriage will survive now that we left but it was really hard while we were meeting. Here's a song I found thanks to this DB where people share hymns.
https://youtu.be/8mrhPqeQRgI
You are correct Im a fighter!
Old 03-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
Cal

Quote:
Thank you brother! I believe my marriage will survive now that we left but it was really hard while we were meeting. Here's a song I found thanks to this DB where people share hymns.
https://youtu.be/8mrhPqeQRgI
You are correct Im a fighter!
Old 03-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #8
Ohio

Quote:
Thankfully we are out but this song came to mind last night and I wanted to share.
Like Igzy said, be wise as a serpent, JLBW. Seek wise counsel, and make sure your close friends and support system are on board. Pray much, that the Lord gives you clear leading. Do so as a part of your own healthy journey in the Lord, and not as retaliation.

If God is for us, whom shall we fear? And if the Lord allowed King David, a man after His own heart, to be exposed for every one else in history to see and to learn, then none of us can hide in the darkness with some "fig leaf" covering.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
JLBW

I'm a professional counselor so I'm not going to get baited into anything that would put me in the public eye. I'm pretty private actually. So I will need to be careful and allow the Lord to lead. But I'm not getting pushed around any more either. You all have been so gracious and kind. The Lord is alive and well in the saints!
Old 03-15-2019, 04:21 AM   #10
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Quote:
Thankfully we are out but this song came to mind last night and I wanted to share
Quote:
I'm a professional counselor so I'm not going to get baited into anything that would put me in the public eye. I'm pretty private actually. So I will need to be careful and allow the Lord to lead. But I'm not getting pushed around any more either. You all have been so gracious and kind. The Lord is alive and well in the saints!
JLBW, you know what you're doing. If you think a formal announcement is appropriate, I trust your judgment. You were assaulted by an elder. You were bullied into silence, now you are being quarantined by gossipmongers ... for what? NOT speaking out?

You might consider writing your statement, that every word be established. First read it to the criminal, and his wife. This is scriptural. Record your meeting, tell them it’s being recorded. If he doesn’t make it right with you and your family, to your satisfaction, take the next step. If you follow Matthew 18:15-17, the next step would be to go and take with you witnesses. Next is "tell it to the church". There is a Witness Lee/LC perpetrated myth out there that "tell it to the church" means "tell it to the elders". Not true. Telling the elders only is an invitation for covering sin...as we have seen ad nauseaum.

"Tell it to the church" means TELL IT TO THE CHURCH. Tell the faithful. Tell those who could be effected by the sin of others. "The church" is not restricted to a geographical location. If there are two locations effected by the sinning brother, there is no reason they should not be included.

For elders, it's worse:

I Timothy 5:19-21 Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses. 20 But those elders who are sinning you are to reprove before everyone, so that the others may take warning. 21 I charge you, in the sight of God and Christ Jesus and the elect angels, to keep these instructions without partiality, and to do nothing out of favoritism.

You've already done this. One elder abused you, and another bunch abused you by their sinful cowardice.

The sinning elder should be the one making a formal announcement. That would be a start. It’s his mess to clean up. He is responsible, along with those cowards who covered it up. Don’t make any threats. You don’t need to. If he can’t figure out what he should do, that’s his problem. What you do shouldn’t be contingent on what he does, or doesn’t do. If you give him an ultimatum, he could use it against you. Don't give him or the cowards anything they could use against you.

Just my thoughts...

Nell

Last edited by Nell; 03-15-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #11
JLBW

Thanks nell!
I'll let God be the final judge. It's time for my family to move on. Besides I'm almost positive that men involved in this cover up are aware of how I feel now that I've posted it on this DB. They know that I feel they should do the honorable thing and repay us for the cost of their cover up. I'll let God be the judge between us. He's very good at being God!
May God bless all of you on here and keep us all going on in spite of our wounds and suffering. Please pray for my family as we are all still working on healing.