Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Orthodoxy - Christian Teaching

Old 11-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
Sons to Glory!

Default "God, if I could, I'd live without You . . ."

""God, if I could, I'd live without You . . . but THANK YOU that You don't let me!!!"

That is what one brother shared at our fellowship breakfast this morning, and it was perhaps the most brutally honest and refreshing thing I've ever heard! We then had some great fellowship regarding how that is what the flesh would ultimately lead us to. The so-called "American Dream" is to work and get to that point where we don't have any worries or major concerns at all, and just sorta drift along in neutral (right into the grave). We would do our best to bring everything under our control (as the Hebrews said, "We will do it!") for high tides and smooth sailing.

But PRAISE THE LORD He doesn't let that happen! He brings along all sorts of things to cause us to realize our utter inadequacy and supreme need for Him - what a mercy!

(We also talked about how 2 Corinthians 4:17 says we all have employees - "Momentary light affliction is working for us an eternal weight of glory!")
Old 11-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #2
Sons to Glory!

Default Re: "God, if I could, I'd live without You . . ."

Also part of this morning's fellowship was that we don't have the goods in us to love God or others, or do ANY of the things the Bible says (think of the 10 Commandments or the so-called beatitudes)! We don't have it! The only thing ol' Adam is good for is death on the cross, so that the life of the Last Adam may come forth from us! Nothing seen and of our efforts makes it - only the Unseen One in us through faith wins the race.

The only thing we are really good for is responding to God's invitation to come and dine! Doesn't matter what we've done (good, bad or ugly) or not done - there's no condemnation, just turn and eat Christ! And when we eat physical food we don't do anything about it after we eat, except just to let the food digest - our internal organs do all the work of assimilating it into our bodies. So also is Christ.

Consider that in light of this verse: "Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God Who operates in you." (Phil 2:12-13) The impression I had was that this means is to be faithful to turn and eat Him, and then The Spirit/Word does the working in me.

So He has to get us to the point where we are reminded, once again, that all we can do is to take Him in the midst of whatever . . .

(BTW - I sorta wish all radio/TV preaching of the word I hear would have this stated at the end: "Whatever you have just heard, remember that not one whit of it is possible without turning to Him and letting Christ operate in and through you!")