Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Alternative Views - Click Here to Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
ZNPaaneah

Default Recipe

I just learned a new recipe that will change your life.

My dad made the best coffee I ever had, yet I never learned the secret. I thought I knew how he did it, but my own attempts were a failure.

But then I discovered this explanation online, it was virtually identical to what I had witnessed with my dad, so I tried it and sure enough, it is the coffee I remembered.

There are a few things we all know -- you have to grind the beans prior to brewing, you have to keep the beans in an airtight container, and keep them as fresh as possible.

You also want to use good water. That generally would mean filtered water unless your tap water is really terrible (i.e. Flint Michigan) in which case bottled water.

You also need to use a drip method (not perk).

But here is what I didn't know:

1. 2 Tablespoons of coffee beans per cup of coffee (that is about 3 times as much I used before).

and

2. Don't use boiling water. You want the water at 190 degrees F, which is about 10-20 degrees less than boiling. Why? Because some of the bitter flavor comes out if you use water over 200 degrees.

If you do this you won't need sugar in your coffee and you will almost certainly not want to buy that expensive Starbucks or DD, etc. So although you use extra coffee it will still be more economic.
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #2
Evangelical

Default Re: Recipe

I do 2 Tablespoons and 2-6 minutes brew time depending on how strong i want it.

Sometimes I add a little pinch of salt to make it less bitter.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:31 PM   #3
awareness

When I read the title of this thread, thinking I know ZNP, I expected it would be some kind of Biblical hermeneutics recipe. What's that about ass'u'me?

I take it you really like coffee bro. I'm a green tea kinda guy. Any tips there?
Old 11-04-2016, 07:40 PM   #4
Ohio

My wife makes the coffee. She makes it the way she likes.

It was a major accomplishment for her to go from Folgers Classic (yuck! ) to Sam's Club beans, fresh ground, with filtered water.

Salt in my coffee? Never heard of that!
Old 11-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
When I read the title of this thread, thinking I know ZNP, I expected it would be some kind of Biblical hermeneutics recipe. What's that about ass'u'me?

I take it you really like coffee bro. I'm a green tea kinda guy. Any tips there?
The man said a pinch of Salt!
Old 11-04-2016, 08:34 PM   #6
awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Good point. He is unpredictable.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #7
zeek

I'm a honey and locust kind a guy myself.

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86

zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:02 AM   #8
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
I have heard that before but decided I didn't want my coffee to be delivery system for salt, or sugar.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:04 AM   #9
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post

I mix my jasmine green tea with oolong. About 50/50. I like the smell and flavor of Jasmine, but think it is too strong to all by itself.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:44 AM   #10
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
I have heard that before but decided I didn't want my coffee to be delivery system for salt, or sugar.
I prefer just 2% milk. When the color is right, so is the temp.

Problem is, no coffee shop provides it, and I don't like the taste of cream.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:53 AM   #11
Evangelical

Quote:
Honey is a good alternative to sugar in coffee.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #12
awareness

Quote:
I mix my jasmine green tea with oolong. About 50/50. I like the smell and flavor of Jasmine, but think it is too strong to all by itself.
I'm gonna try that. Thanks. But no pinch of salt?
Old 11-06-2016, 08:50 PM   #13
Evangelical

As an alternative to salt it is possible to use salted butter. The salt reduces the bitterness and the butter makes it "creamier".

There just so happens to be a website called

putting weird things in coffee dot com, which describes adding peanut butter or various spices to coffee

https://puttingweirdthingsincoffee.com/

I can testify the following works:
peanut butter
butter
chili powder
salt
honey
cocoa (or drinking chocolate)
protein powder (cold coffee)
Old 11-07-2016, 05:56 AM   #14
ZNPaaneah

I calculate that I use $0.50 worth of beans per cup of coffee. I am using organic beans so I assume this is healthier than anything a franchise would sell. Overall cost is less, yet healthier.

Because I don't use sugar (or honey) I calculate that I am saving 50-100 calories per day (2 cups of coffee). That works out to 5-10 pounds of calories per year. I also calculate that this reduction in calories and sugar is also healthier. Of course it also keeps the cost down.

I also save about 10 minutes per day. I put the coffee into a carafe in the morning and so have a second cup later on.

Better, cheaper, healthier and saves time.

400 million cups of coffee are consumed daily in the US. Imagine the benefit over the course of 10 years if the people consuming that coffee consumed 50 to 100 pounds less of calories in the form of sugar. This could have a huge impact on obesity and diabetes.

Like they say, the cause for most of the ills in this world is bad coffee.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:38 AM   #15
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
As an alternative to salt it is possible to use salted butter. The salt reduces the bitterness and the butter makes it "creamier".

There just so happens to be a website called

putting weird things in coffee dot com, which describes adding peanut butter or various spices to coffee

https://puttingweirdthingsincoffee.com/

I can testify the following works:
peanut butter

butter
chili powder
salt
honey
cocoa (or drinking chocolate)
protein powder (cold coffee)
I like coffee too much.

I like all nut butters too much.

But together?!?
Old 11-08-2016, 03:15 AM   #16
Evangelical

Quote:
I like coffee too much.

I like all nut butters too much.

But together?!?
The article here recommended it:

https://puttingweirdthingsincoffee.c...ee-om-nom-nom/

Reading the comments, I noticed someone also added jelly - you know where this is going - pb and j coffee!!

As it says the problem is the PB goes sludgy, but if you mix less of it with boiling water so it is kinda runny, it's better.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #17
ZNPaaneah

If you add a star of anise to your coffee pot (maybe 2 or 3 depending on how many cups) it will give it a hint of licorice. That can be used as a substitute for sugar or honey.

I calculate that if you eliminate sugar or honey from your coffee it could save you 10 lbs a year in calories.

Of course it depends on how much coffee you drink and how much sugar you add. However, if you drink 2 cups a day with as much sugar as Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts routinely put in (based on caloric estimates they print on the menus) you can double that estimate to 20 lbs a year.

This is not just an issue of obesity. All of that processed sugar is going to have an impact on diabetes. Americans consume close to 150 billion cups of coffee a year. The average coffee drinker consumes two cups per day in the US, and that is roughly two thirds of the population.

Imagine the health benefit to the US if 200 million americans cut out 10-20 lbs of calories from sugar in their coffee each year.

The combined cost of diabetes and obesity to the US is $500 billion per year. By comparison the "wall" that Trump is proposing is only estimated to cost $25 billion as a one time charge (with a smaller yet significant cost on a yearly basis).

Perhaps eliminating sugar in coffee could cut the cost in half, that would save us $250 billion a year. If it only cut the cost by 10% that would still be $50 billion a year.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:55 AM   #18
ZNPaaneah

With coffee there are several spices that are really important.

1. Coffee is like the wind section of an orchestra. Not bad, but it can certainly be improved with some other spices.

2. Cardamon is like the strings. I find 9/10th coffee, and 1/10th cardamon is a great combination.

3. Star Anise is like the cymbals -- just a little bit.

4. Cloves are like the percussion. They are awesome, but just a tiny bit.

5. Nutmeg and Cinnamon are like a harpsichord or triangle or some other holiday sound.

In addition to this different coffee beans are like different wind instruments. Mixing Columbian with Indonesian and African could be like having flutes, oboes and horns.

Once again I would point out that coffee may be the single biggest delivery system for processed sugar to the American public which is horribly obese and diabetic. Eliminating processed sugar from coffee could be a huge step towards cutting our national healthcare budget. This can be done by making the coffee with a little care.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:46 AM   #19
ZNPaaneah

take one piece of your favorite bread, toast it with a little oil from a can of sardines.

Smear it with avocado

Put the sardines on top (they could be fried if you want them hot)

Add a little garnish like parsley, soy sauce marinade

Since avocado has 75% dietary fiber to carbohydrates you could use white bread or any kind of bread for this. Makes a very healthy, simple and quick snack or even meal.