Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Alternative Views - Click Here to Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #1
zeek

Default A word on behalf of Bro. Joel Stigale

Joel Stigale is a missionary with Miami Youth for Christ who has dedicated his life to youth ministry and reaching people in the Hip-Hop culture with the life-saving message of Jesus Christ. His parents were faithful members of the LCM in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami FL. He founded the Catalyst Hip-Hop program 14 years ago with the desire to positively impact the lives of youth and give them a safe place to develop their talents. For more information about Catalyst, please visit our website: catalysthiphop.com

Joel was recently diagnosed with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF). IPF is a progressive scarring of the lung tissue. There is no known cause and there is no cure, except for a lung transplant.

Joel had been having some trouble with his lungs since the end of 2013. At first doctors thought he had severe double-pneumonia, but 10 weeks after his initial hospital stay they did another chest x-ray and his lungs looked the same. So, they decided to do a lung biopsy. The results of the biopsy came back inconclusive, but they did show that his lung tissue had some scarring. At that time, his pulmonologist said that we just needed to keep an eye on it.

Until a few months ago he felt fine. He did have some shortness of breath from time to time, but he was able to do most day-to-day things without any problems. Then, toward the end of July, he got a chest cold and breathing got really difficult. We went to see his pulmonologist who sent him immediately to the hospital because his Pulmonary Function Test showed that his lungs were functioning at 20% capacity. They were hoping that it had to do with the fact that he had a cold, but after treating him with antibiotics & steroids for 10 days, his lung function did not improve. Then came the official diagnosis of Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis or IPF.

His condition has progressed rather quickly, to the point that he is in need of a double lung transplant asap.

He is currently at Jackson Hospital undergoing a lung transplant evaluation, which consists of medical and psychological testing to make sure he is a good candidate for a transplant. Our first prayer request is that we would pass all of these tests with flying colors so that he can get on the transplant list as soon as possible.

Next, from what I understand, due to Joel's critical condition, he will remain in the hospital until he gets a match. This is good news because it could be sooner than the typical 1-3 year wait for a donor, but bad news because he will be in the hospital for a few weeks or months while he waits. It's sobering to realize that someone must die for Joel to live.

Finally, the family asks for prayer that Joel's condition would not get any worse while he waits; that he would get new lungs soon; for God's grace and strength to glorify Him through this situation; and for His provision for all of their medical expenses.

Thank you for taking the time to read Joel's story. The family appreciates your prayers and your support!

https://www.youcaring.com/joel-stigale-461387

I have no further information about Joel at this time. I am simply relaying this message because Joel's parents were kind friends to me when I was in the local church and I have known Joel since he was born. I haven't seen him in years but we recently became Facebook friends.

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86

zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:16 PM   #2
zeek

Default Re: A word on behalf of Bro. Joel Stigale

"Update on Joel: Today was an exciting day! The amazing team here at Jackson worked hard to get Joel this special bed that goes into a standing position. This bed will help him to regain strength in his legs as well as his balance, so that it will be easier for him to eventually stand & walk. Also, for the past couple days they have been weaning Joel from the vent by gradually lowering the settings so he's breathing more & more by himself. They did another "T-piece" trial today which is when they put a special piece on his breathing tube and turn off the vent support so he can breath on his own. This time he was able to tolerate it for 10 minutes- that's 5 minutes longer than last time! Baby steps, but with God's help & your prayers we'll eventually get there! 💗
"You have granted me life and favor, and Your care has preserved my spirit."
(Job 10:12)"

Vivian Stigale's post on Facebook today.

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86

Old 12-31-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
"Update on Joel: Today was an exciting day! The amazing team here at Jackson worked hard to get Joel this special bed that goes into a standing position. This bed will help him to regain strength in his legs as well as his balance, so that it will be easier for him to eventually stand & walk. Also, for the past couple days they have been weaning Joel from the vent by gradually lowering the settings so he's breathing more & more by himself. They did another "T-piece" trial today which is when they put a special piece on his breathing tube and turn off the vent support so he can breath on his own. This time he was able to tolerate it for 10 minutes- that's 5 minutes longer than last time! Baby steps, but with God's help & your prayers we'll eventually get there! 💗
"You have granted me life and favor, and Your care has preserved my spirit."
(Job 10:12)"

Vivian Stigale's post on Facebook today.
I knew his Mom and Dad in the church in Ft. Lauderdale. They were wonderful saints, great and loving people. Thoughts and prayers to Joel and his family.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
aron

O Lord Jesus have mercy. We praise and bless Your name. Amen.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #5
zeek

Vivian Stigale's post on Facebook:
Today is the 2 month anniversary of Joel's lung transplant! On one hand it seems hard to believe it's been two months already, but on the other hand it seems like a lifetime ago because so much has happened since then. God has brought us so far! This morning as I drove to the hospital the song "Great are You Lord" came on the radio and as I listened to the words I just worshiped the LORD and thanked Him for all He's done:
"You give life, You are love
You bring light to the darkness
You give hope, You restore
Every heart that is broken
Great are You, Lord
It's Your breath in our lungs
So we pour out our praise
We pour out our praise
It's your breath in our lungs
So we pour out our praise
To You only"
We thank each one of you with all our hearts for walking with us through this journey. Your prayers and support have made a world of difference to us during this time. God has demonstrated His love for us through each one of you! 💗
"If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together." (1 Cor. 12:26)

A Breath of New Life for Joel
Joel Stigale is a missionary with Miami Youth for Christ who has dedicated his life to youth ministry and reaching people in the Hip-Hop culture with the life-saving message of Jesus Christ. He founded the Catalyst Hip-Hop program 14 years…
YOUCARING.COM

Old 05-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #6
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

Default zeek do you have an update on Joel Stigale?

zeek do you have an update on Joel Stigale?

Are his parents still in the Local Church?

Thanks.
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #7
zeek

Default Re: zeek do you have an update on Joel Stigale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
zeek do you have an update on Joel Stigale?

Are his parents still in the Local Church?

Thanks.
Joel posted this on FB today. "Finally removed the trachea collar! I am officially free from wires, feeding tubes and iv's. All that's left is the nasal cannula for a small amount of oxygen, (2%). Hopefully I can get to room air soon. Final stretch!!!"

Joel's father, Paul, passed away years ago. I don't know if his mother is in the Local Church or not.

If you're on FB you can look Joel up. He's got a remarkable story.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #8
zeek

Joel was discharged from the hospital!

http://www.local10.com/video/man-lea...ung-transplant

Old 05-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #9
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

Wow. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

7 months in the hospital? This man is now ready for anything!

Thanks zeek for the update.

-
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #10
zeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
Wow. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

7 months in the hospital? This man is now ready for anything!

Thanks zeek for the update.

-
Amen, bro.......

Old 06-04-2016, 09:05 AM   #11
zeek

Joel Stigale's testimony on FB:

Quote:
I have been through it. Many times over. I grew up in such a strict church culture that we didn't have a tv in the house, would rent one to watch the olympics. No earrings, no tattoos, no style to our hair. We didn't listen to radio, didn't wear shorts and didn't do anything on Sunday's. Except church. And I was at church 6 days a week. Never saw an alcoholic beverage in my house. When my father passed away some people he had a heavy impact on refused to come to the funeral because some thought him a heretic because he challenged the church system. Then I was kicked out of church after church because of being too Biblical and too much of a free thinker. I was told by countless people and pastors that what I believed God had called me to was a sinful path. I have been stabbed repeatedly in the back by several churches. I have been there, made the very severe mistake of walking away from the church while "maintaining a relationship with God" and found out the hard way that we need the body of Christ, no matter what. I don't serve myself, I serve God. It's our choice to take Him at His Word or not. I have nothing to do with it. I keep my eyes on Him, do my best to love His fallen people, and reach all I can. At the end of the day it is the relationship between Christ and man. Not "so and so" and Christ. Thankfully I never lost faith in God, even as I struggled recently breath to breath for 7 months on what almost became my deathbed. Only one pastor visited me, and he initiated the visit. However the church body collectively prayed for me, provided for me, and visited me faithfully. We are all fallen, but He is resurrected. That's where my faith is. I wasn't judging anyone, it was as much a message to myself as anyone else.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #12
awareness

Vivian Stigale with Joel Stigale. Facebook.
13 hrs ·
Joel David Stigale, born November 6, 1974, was called home and received ULTIMATE HEALING at 8:56pm on the Lords' Day, Sunday, August 14th. He was surrounded by his family & friends and went into the arms of Christ peacefully as the warm afternoon sunlight streamed into his hospital room window. It truly was beautiful and God's presence was felt powerfully.
Today is 9 months 1 day since Joel's lung transplant and I feel like he was reborn in heaven today with a perfect body that will never get sick & will never die again.
It's hard to find adequate words to express my gratitude to you all for being on this journey with us. I will give you more information regarding his memorial service once we have made arrangements.
As I was looking through pictures of Joel trying to find the perfect one to share with you all, I found this one that was taken exactly one year ago today. This is how we will always remember him. Before sickness & hospital beds & oxygen tanks. Joel at Catalyst 💗
"For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down that is, when we die and leave this earthly body, we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands. We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long to put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing. For we will put on heavenly bodies; we will not be spirits without bodies. While we live in these earthly bodies, we groan and sigh, but it’s not that we want to die and get rid of these bodies that clothe us. Rather, we want to put on our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by life. God himself has prepared us for this, and as a guarantee he has given us his Holy Spirit. So we are always confident, even though we know that as long as we live in these bodies we are not at home with the Lord. For we live by believing and not by seeing. Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord. So whether we are here in this body or away from this body, our goal is to please him. For we must all stand before Christ to be judged. We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in this earthly body."

(2 Corinthians 5:1-10)
https://www.facebook.com/joel.stigale
Old 08-19-2016, 11:17 PM   #13
zeek

Quote:
Stigale’s life came to an end on Aug. 14 at age 41 of complications from a November double-lung transplant that was done soon after he was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis. But his mission will move forward, Bonnie Rodriguez, Miami Youth for Christ executive director, said in his obituary.

“In honor of our beloved Joel, Miami Youth for Christ and Catalyst Hip-Hop are moving forward with plans to purchase a building in the Hialeah area where kids can congregate in a safe place, and where they can develop their gifts and talents that God has given them to reach the lost and abandoned in the hip-hop culture.”
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy