Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Spiritual Abuse Titles

Spiritual Abuse Titles Spiritual abuse is the mistreatment of a person who is in need of help, support or greater spiritual empowerment, with the result of weakening, undermining or decreasing that person's spiritual empowerment.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default When God Becomes a Drug, Leo Booth

"Religious addiction can be just as destructive to the family as any other addiction because the addict is in denial and isn't facing his real problems nor accepting responsibility for his recovery.

The biblical mandate for healing and recovery is simple but not easy, but it's the only way to recovery: "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed."

Last edited by Nell; 08-08-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
"Religious addiction can be just as destructive to the family as any other addiction because the addict is in denial and isn't facing his real problems nor accepting responsibility for his recovery.

The biblical mandate for healing and recovery is simple but not easy, but it's the only way to recovery: "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed."
I think the key word in the above quote would be "religious addiction" !

I am sure that a persons religion can become a "drug", but I would not say that "God" can become such.

I think W Nee referred to this as obsession. I think I would expand the idea to include any attempt to reach God, apart from the Spirit of Christ;; which is probably my working definition of the word "religion".

I would hope that we wouldnt confuse such addiction with the genuine, real, and felt need and dependence of the Lord.

Grace.

Arizona
Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
countmeworthy

One could say I'm addicted to GOD. But God is not Religion.

I LOVE talking about the things of God and God Himself. However, I enjoy having conversations about any number of subjects. God is MY life and so everything I do, the Holy Spirit accompanies me. I took art classes last year. I took the LORD with me to the classes.

We had some funny students who would crack me up with their stories. We talked about our paintings. I was known as the 'bird lady' 'cause I always picked sceneries of birds to paint.

A couple of times, I prayed for people by laying hands on them. They welcomed me to pray over them as I blessed them.

In my short tenure in the LC...and grant it I was a youngster both in the Lord in human age, the way we/I was taught to get 'addicted to God' was warped. We shared the gospel the way we were taught to share the gospel and of course, we were also reeling them into 'the church'.

Not a day goes by I don't talk about GOD to someone. But I AM very sensitive to the Holy Spirit's guidance. If HE does not want me to say anything about GOD, I WON'T!!!! That happens sometimes.
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote