Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Glorious Church Life!

Glorious Church Life! Discussions regarding the beginnings of the Local Church in the USA/North America. Emphasis on the 60s and 70s.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:19 AM   #1
IDon'tKnow

Default The 1966 rebellion in the far east

I remember Lee at one point referring to the younger coworker's who rebelled in 1966 in taipei as having stated something to the effect of "the older ones (Witness Lee) were dead and belonged in coffins". (It would be interesting to compare this to the things which Lee said in the late 80s). Anyway I just recently read the Morris Fred 1968 theses which does speak somewhat on the split and reference to any such statement is noticeably absent. So I was wondering did Witness Lee make said statement concerning the coworker's in the 1966 rebellion?(:edit In "The High Peak of theVision and the Reality of the Body of Christ" in the last chapter he says "In those days the dissenting ones in Taiwan said that they had seen the vision and that the leading co-workers had become old and were ready to be put in a coffin." Is this refering to the 1966 split?) Secondly is said statement in any way true?

Interestingly the overall impression which I got from the theses is that Lee got threatened by the fact that the coworkers weren't simply parroting him. He fired them and kicked them out of their homes, and that would seem to be the major reason for the split.
IDon'tKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

Default Re: The 1966 rebellion in the far east

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDon'tKnow View Post
Interestingly the overall impression which I got from the theses is that Lee got threatened by the fact that the coworkers weren't simply parroting him. He fired them and kicked them out of their homes, and that would seem to be the major reason for the split.
There were so many "rebellions" that it's hard to keep track. It is my understanding that Titus Chu was involved in some sort of "young peoples rebellion" there in Taiwan, however I believe that one happened in the early 60s. It is interesting that part of the current rap against Chu is that he "teaches different" (translated from LocalChurchese: "weren't simply parroting Lee"). Yet the times I've heard Chu speak - live and on the numerous videos - he sounds more like Witness Lee then any man I've ever seen or heard. His intonations, gestures and liberal use of metaphors and allegories are virtually identical. In fact, I have told several people if they want to know Witness Lee then they can watch the videos of Titus Chu.

Anyway, it should not be surprising to hear that Witness Lee got a lot things thrown back in his face by numerous "rebellious" followers. When one is constantly berating and belittling people the ole law of "what-goes-around-comes-around" (aka reap what you sow) catches up sooner or later. Also when one is constantly making one fantastical, boastful proclamation after another, and people start comparing and contrasting the outrageous claims with reality, some eventually "snap out of it". Even 12 years after Lee's departure we see the same process in action. (you go concerned brothers and sisters, you go!)

-
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
Indiana

Default Re: Taipei church history

http://www.twww.twoturmoils.com/TaipeiHistory.pdf

Larry Chi wrote a book that included the history of the church in Taipei and some other churches in Taiwan, after he left the recovery in 1985, (approximately). The book included a word about the young Titus Chu who had come onto the scene and became involved in giving training sessions, and became a concern to others, including Witness Lee. He is still a concern, whether or not it should be so great as "advertised".

The word about him is not included in the link above; but some very interesting historical accounts are given, including what is referred to as the 1965 massacre, which should relate to the 1966 so-called rebellion.

I can't confirm Larry Chi's accuracy, but he was certainly burdened to give his viewpoints, based on his experience and observation. He was in his 80s when I contacted him last in CA, both by phone and email, 5 years ago. He was referred to me by another dear Chinese brother in his 80s, from Sydney, who has since passed away. Both brothers were very much concerned for the developments that took place before them in the recovery under the leadership of Witness Lee.
Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:21 AM   #4
IDon'tKnow

Quote:
Larry Chi wrote a book that included the history of the church in Taipei and some other churches in Taiwan, after he left the recovery in 1985, (approximately).
Can the book be found online anywhere? I assume that the link is not the book in question.
IDon'tKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
Ohio

Quote:
Can the book be found online anywhere? I assume that the link is not the book in question.
IDK, I think it is -- the link is an 8 page pdf online "book."

Thanks again Indiana for all your investigative work.

Let me add a point here, as a typical, long time GLA LC'er.

We heard very little about this 60's "rebellion." Here's what I heard. When WL introduced the matter (Hope has since told us that WL only stole the credit for this.) of "calling on the name of the Lord," many saints had rejected this because they were "old and set in their ways." The "moral of the story," so I was told, was whenever the Lord made a "fresh turn" in His Recovery, some saints inevitably would not "make the turn" and would be lost.

I bought into that story, as I did with all other snippets of LC history passed down to me. I now question all LC history I received, unless it was confirmed by second sources. Both WL and TC both used history for their own benefit. In every story they told, they came out "smelling like a rose," while every other brother was "just a thorn."
Old 04-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

Others were meeting in Taiwan before Witness Lee came and set up shop? How dare they! Shame on them. They should have just stayed home and waited until Lee could get there and tell them how to do it.

Oh well, another Lee legend down the drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
...I now question all LC history I received
Yep, pretty much

-
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
Indiana

Default Re: Strange Bedfellows with BBs

Quote:
I received two copies of the book from Larry Chi, written in Chinese. This might have been in 2003. Just part of it was on the history and I had that part alone translated by a Chinese professional. The rest of the book was on teachings, which I was not interested in at the time, and it would have been far to expensive to translate. The book is not online anywhere.

The two copies of the book are in the hands of two Chinese brothers, one of them being a brother who runs the concerned brothers site. He could confirm the word spoken about Titus, which for some reason is missing from the document I posted. I must have removed that speaking for some reason at one time, but haven't been able to retrieve the information.

The book had been circulated among Chinese to some degree, but no one had it translated into another language, particularly English. I wondered how this could be that the book was written in the eighties and I come along in the 2000s and have it translated. The price was high ($680) and the Chinese could have done it themselves for the sake of English readers, but for some reason no one did. I was told it was a cultural matter just as there was no warning from the Chinese about Daystar at its inception. Don Hardy had mentioned this that the Chinese saints, including Samuel Chang, could have given the history of WL's failed business ventures in the Far East and warned at least the elders in Southern CA who were cooperating with the hype for Daystar. Don said not a word of warning was given and that the brothers would have stopped him had they known.

What Ohio said about Titus likening WL to a father and giving him a pass at every turn is the heighth of cultural interference with God's moving and working in the Body in genuine display of spiritual authority and activity. In this matter I do not appreciate Titus Chu and the passivity of those under his influence in the GLA, as they do make strange bedfellows with those on LaPalma avenue in preserving the lies that prevail in the churches, and in keeping their Idol shiny, clean, and APPROVED - instead of smashing it into a thousand pieces.
Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote