Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Alternative Views - Click Here to Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 01:23 PM   #1
Boxjobox

Default Cremation

Ok, here is a topic we can all comfortably discuss and learn from our differences of opinion. In the liturgical calendar, we are nearing All Souls Day, Dia de los Muertos, Hallo Ween. For the young people that will live for ever, this is probably a boring subject, but for those of us who are “ getting up there” in age, we have considerations.

So my questions is: how do believers feel about cremation? Is it just a quicker process to returning the old body back to dust? Is there a scriptural reason for not being cremated? Is it an affront to God in any way? What think ye?
Boxjobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:36 PM   #2
SerenityLives

Default Re: Cremation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxjobox View Post
Ok, here is a topic we can all comfortably discuss and learn from our differences of opinion. In the liturgical calendar, we are nearing All Souls Day, Dia de los Muertos, Hallo Ween. For the young people that will live for ever, this is probably a boring subject, but for those of us who are “ getting up there” in age, we have considerations.

So my questions is: how do believers feel about cremation? Is it just a quicker process to returning the old body back to dust? Is there a scriptural reason for not being cremated? Is it an affront to God in any way? What think ye?
Hello! My grandmother was in the LC and she was cremated. They even had an LC funeral for her. This was in Taiwan so it might be different. My other grandmother was also cremated and her family was Taoist. My grandfather was buried first and then later exhumed and cremated. I dont think there is a scriptural basis for how we return to dust, except that we know in the OT and NT, I think most of them were buried (examples: Joseph asking his descendants to bring his bones back from Egypt, Ruth wanting to be buried with Naomi, Jesus in the tomb and Lazuus in the tomb). There was no prohibition aginst any kind of burial, cremation or otherwise and honestly, I dont think God really cares. For me, I’m still young, but I would like to be buried under a flower tree. I dont mind cremation either, just scatter my ashes among some flower trees so my loved ones can visit and enjoy the flowers.
SerenityLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #3
Ohio

Default Re: Cremation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxjobox View Post

I have heard about how Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, etc. all wanted proper burials, but what about all those martyred saints, Old and New, who never got a decent burial, a viewing, a headstone, or an obituary? Did any of the apostles get buried?

I think each family has personal choices and preferences concerning this matter. But I should add that the LC faithful, especially out in SoCal, prefer proximity to their leader WL at the Grace Terrace Memorial Association in Rose Hills Cemetery. Listen to WL's teaching about Abraham's burial.