Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Regional Concerns

Old 07-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Former LC member

Default A Christian Sister in New Zealand

Just writing to introduce myself and also to say that I don't know what is happening down in this part of the world. I have been in the local church for nearly 30 years and live in the capital city of Wellington. Various saints I meet are still sweet and seem to be carrying on as if nothing has happened. I surmise that most do not know what has happened in the USA. I myself feel as if I am in an alternate reality. I got to know about Titus Chu's quarantine seemingly by accident. Since then, as I like to know the truth, I have ferrited out what happened to him and the churches in the GLA. I have read A Future and A Hope with great pleasure and viewed videos of the recent Mountaintop Conference with excitement and tears. I have not been happy with many practices in the church for a while. Now, I feel that due to the latest papal structure of the BB's and the divisiveness being encouraged among the members, I cannot be part of this organisation any more. I feel quite lonely and keep hoping to find some other christians that feel like me. At the moment, my family are going along to a local baptist church, as we are desperate for fellowship. We know some LC saints here and will pop in on them as well from time to time. I am encouraged when I see how the saints are going on in the GLA, but am not sure what we can do down here.
Any information you could pass my way would be great.
God bless.
Former LC member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:39 AM   #3
Suannehill

Welcome dear sister to our fellowship. Please feel free to ask anything you'd like. I am from the Great Lakes Area and also met with the Local Church for more than 30 years. There was much turmoil here in the city of Mansfield, Ohio and it is not settled yet. LSM backed a group for a lawsuit to get the property here and it is not over.
I have stopped meeting with either faction...it just got to be not about Christ anymore. At this point in time, my husband and I meet beside our pond with a few neighbors.
I'm so glad you found us! May the Lord be your peace!
Sue
Suannehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:22 AM   #4
countmeworthy

Default Welcome!

Glad the LORD led you here dear sister in Christ!

We all know what it is to be frustrated & discouraged. I remember singing 'Home-Home in the church...where we've ended our search'.

But if JESUS is not KING & LORD in our gatherings, it is because He is not KING & LORD in our personal lives.

And yet......in spite of our roller coaster journey in the LC, many of us are still connected one way or another because of our time there.

It is a unique albeit sectarian group of believers..who once had the anointing of the Holy Spirit strongly in our lives, our meetings. He departed when the LC became Witness Lee & the Church...not Christ & the church.

May I suggest you also visit some 'charasmatic' church gatherings along with your fellowship with Baptists. What visiting charasmatic churches do is give you an insight on how people praise & worship the Lord. It's just a different flavor. And not all Charasmatic/ Word Faith churches are the same.

Watch a number of different Christian preachers/teachers on TV...for the mere purpose of getting a different perspective. Listen to Christian Radio.

Not ALL Christian preachers/teachers are anointed. Many mix a good message with the prosperity 'name it claim it' gospel. Name the car you want and claim it. But there are a great number of teachers/preachers who are inspirational.

Ask the LORD..the Holy Spirit to guide you. Ask Him to bring people to you will bless you, encourage you in the Faith and who you will be a blessing to.

Read books by different Christian authors. There are a GREAT number of excellent books.

Currently I'm reading 'Seductions exposed' by Gary L Greenwood. It deals with the Transfer of spirits. Very, very insightful.

Don't be sad at the turn of events. Look at it with the view that your Heavenly Father is taking you to higher ground now. Your season in the LC is up. He is PROMOTING YOU & your husband! You are BLESSED and HIGHLY FAVORED! You are a CHILD of the KING. You will live and not die! You are Royalty! God is looking to bless and prosper you but couldn't release His full blessing on you while the LC stifled you !

Give Honor & Praise with gratitude & thanksgiving for releasing you..setting you FREE. He wanted you there for a season...and a long season it was! But the LORD is moving MIGHTILY & Swiftly on the earth these days...for the KING is coming & He's coming SOON !! Halleluia to the LAMB of GOD!!

Praise YOU JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
aron

I have one bit of advice, and that is to stay 'local' in your fellowship in Wellington. I have seen the saints get cut off from one another due to 'extralocal' things influencing their relationships. Suannehill's testimony of what happened in Mansfield, Ohio is an example of the tragedy that can occur when extralocal factors become the determinants of assembling together, rather than faith in Jesus Christ.

If you, or others around you, are led to take a stand 'for the BB's' or 'for Titus Chu and the GLA churches', or some other thing, you will be easily divided one from another. Many saints, in your area as well as elsewhere, are trying to avoid that question by being as ignorant as possible of what is happening extra-locally. That is understandable, but I don't believe that is the necessary path, either.

We don't have to be forced into a stand for anything. God took a stand for the dying human race by sending His Son. And we have received Jesus as our Savior, and we can receive the believer next to us as our neighbor. I try to be intensely 'local', receiving whatever christian is next to me, regardless of if they are Baptist or Pentacostal or Greek Orthodox or local churcher. If they name Jesus, we are one. I don't like extra-local litmus tests. I am one with the believer next to me. God made us one. I believe it.

There is a saying, "Blood is thicker than water"; this I usually hear in reference to family relationships trumping other relationships (business, social, etc) when there is any conflict between the two. The connotations are usually negative (The Philip Lee Affair comes to mind). But I would like to use it anyway. The blood of Jesus is our tie, it is our binding element. The covering, cleansing, redeeming blood, and then the poured out Spirit. This is our connection, not Witness Lee's teachings or the 'ground' of locality. This is the tie that binds us, and I prefer to think that nothing can break it. The blood of Jesus is thicker than anything the religionists can dream up. So I receive the fellow pilgrims near me who have also seen the power of this blood.

I am glad you can have fellowship with both christians there in the denominations and in the LC. I pray that the Lord Jesus would keep any divisive spirit away from you all. Grace and peace to you and thank you for sharing.

Last edited by aron; 07-17-2008 at 07:56 AM. Reason: spelling
aron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Former LC member

Red face

Thank you so much for all your kind and encouraging words! It is so good to know there is a group of people out there who understand.
I will continue to read your posts. I find them more helpful than the Berean site, though they have some interesting reading there, as they view LC people as a cult. Here, we have all come from the same place and so understand the journey we are on.
Although we have been in the LC so long, we have lived in some isolated spots and moved about a great deal, so the Lord has kept us away when the more negative things were happening. Also, we have quietly disagreed with various teachings for a while. Our children all love the Lord, but due to being homeschooled, are able to think clearly for themselves, which is great. We have not handed them over to any institution- school, training centres etc.
We stayed because we loved the concept of oneness, but that has been blown apart recently[for me] over the Titus Chu debarcle.
Personally, we have as a family considered all christians to be in the church, and have met in the home of a family from the baptist church for 7 years. This is before a recent move to Wellington. So, we have never been a good fit really. However, thoughts that WE have all the truth and that christianity is pitiful, still remain. Also, the thought that the LC has the proper ground.
I am trying to shed these notions. Some in the family are finding it harder than others. We cry a lot and argue, but praise the Lord, we are still all together and are a strong family unit. The recent victory we had, was my husband decided to take us to the local baptists. All the children enjoyed it and were spiritually refreshed. They were a bit critical about the simple songs, but loved the friendly attitude of the christians there. Will we join up? No, but I thinl it would be great to build them up in the Lord. I have met a local catholic lady on the bus, and 2 LC people live near us. I hope we can fellowship with them, God willing. We all feel terrified, but also a bit excited too. Some are feeling that they have lost their extended family, but others in our family feel they are just starting to find their true family- the whole body of Christ.
Thankyou again for your good advice. Would love some prayer that we could all survive this time and go on together.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
Former LC member

Default Recent developments

Hello again dear saints. Quite a lot has happened in a short time for our family. After attending a local church meeting, everyone decided to go to meetings there in the future. I am going along too, as they asked me to. I love my family and am encouraged that they want to go on with the Lord, but I must admit I am torn. I have told them that I would love to be with them and the saints there, but if anything comes up that goes against my conscience, or is divisive, I will not participate. We have been going for a month now and it has been a rocky time. Part of the meetings are very living, where the saints sing and testify. But when the second part of the meeting comes, after the Lord's table, the focus is on the HWFMR books. My family hates this part and the others in the meeting look mostly unhappy. I think most are trying to ignore what is happening and try to focus on the Lord, but still, the deadening effect is felt.
Of course, we have lively discussions about it on the way home and this leads to arguments. I am concerned about two things. Maybe some can give me advice on what has helped them. First, How do I maintain an openess towards the saints, when inwardly I am not agreeing with some of the doctrines and practises. I am trying, but it is a struggle. I have little trouble looking away from the individual peculiarities of each saint. But inwardly I am now resisting what I see as a movement that is deviating from the truth. I don't want to be part of this movement, but I do want to be part of the people involved.
Secondly, I find the booklets they go over dead boring and confusing at best. However, the writings from Nigel Tomes and John Myers I happily devour. This is leading to a difference between myself and others in my family. Not that they enjoy or read the booklets themselves, but the history we have is from the local church. But now I am changing and they do not understand when I talk about what I have read. This has led to tenseness and I am not too sure what to do about it. Anyone else with this problem?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:35 AM   #8
Suannehill

From my experience here in Mansfield, you are sitting on a powder keg, ready to explode.
We too had many things that bothered us, but loved those that we had been with for so long. We tried for years to just ignore the things that were divisive from LSM.
If they figure out (LSM) that you are wavering or not 100% for "the ministry" there will be a war to purge the church. There will be a push to "choose", because you must choose LSM. This is the pattern of events here in the Midwest. No materials other than LSM will be permitted to be read. They will lie and bring lawsuits, all is OK to protect "the ministry".
Sorry to be so glum about it, but here families were divided for "the ministry", fellowship was destroyed and there was financial hardship all to protect "the ministry".
Just enjoy Jesus and I believe He will keep you and protect you! We will remember you before the Lord!
Sue
Old 12-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Former LC member

Default Re: a need for prayer

Hello dear ones.
I would really appreciate some prayer today. My husband got a call a few days ago from an elder in our locality. He told us that I had been 'spotted' on this forum. Of course, I have not participated in a hidden way. I used my name because I like to be open and above board. Also, I hoped to become well known by the people here, so that I could have deeper fellowship for my and my family's sake. In my heart I also wanted the suffering ones to know they had a friend "down under".
Today this elder is meeting my husband for a chat. I don't know what will come out of this. Of course I feel a bit fearful. But I would like you all to know that I am not ashamed to call you brothers. And I will continue to post here.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
YP0534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna Tysoe View Post
Hello dear ones.
I would really appreciate some prayer today. My husband got a call a few days ago from an elder in our locality. He told us that I had been 'spotted' on this forum. Of course, I have not participated in a hidden way. I used my name because I like to be open and above board. Also, I hoped to become well known by the people here, so that I could have deeper fellowship for my and my family's sake. In my heart I also wanted the suffering ones to know they had a friend "down under".
Today this elder is meeting my husband for a chat. I don't know what will come out of this. Of course I feel a bit fearful. But I would like you all to know that I am not ashamed to call you brothers. And I will continue to post here.
The Lord be with your spirit.
Grace be with you.
Let each walk as the Lord has distributed to each, as God has called each, and in this manner I instruct all the assemblies. 1 Cor. 7:17
YP0534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #11
TLFisher

Quote:
Hello dear ones.
Joanna, my prayers are with you and your husband. May you each find strength and be strengthened in Christ our Lord.

Terry
TLFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #12
countmeworthy

We're all members of the Body of Christ. We are to uplift and encourage one another in the Word of God and in the FAITH. We all want to grow in Christ Jesus and in His Word...and we are instructed to LOVE the Brethren.

Let not your Heart be discouraged or troubled. If God is for YOU, what can man do to you? Pray for BLESSING...

The LORD is NOT mad at YOU!

Keep us posted. May the Lord strengthen your heart and your mind in Christ Jesus.

Quote:
Hello dear ones.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #13
Former LC member

Default Re: a christian sister in New Zealand

Thank you for your prayers everyone. I do not feel so alone.
The meeting with the elder went OK. He is a lovely soft brother, who genuinely wants no harm to befall us. His concern was just that if we did not agree with all the local church is doing, how can we be one. I can see his point. For now all is well. We are allowed to attend meetings. Some are cautious about us apparently. My husband and I are praying that the log will be removed from our eyes. It is only too easy to see the speck in other people's eyes. How to remain one with the brethren outwardly, but also heed the spirits working within- that is the trick.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
YP0534

Quote:
His concern was just that if we did not agree with all the local church is doing, how can we be one.
Did he suggest a verse to show that basis of the oneness of the believers meeting together?

I'm not familiar with that doctrine myself but I'd sure like to show it to a couple of folks I know if I could!

Thank you!
Let each walk as the Lord has distributed to each, as God has called each, and in this manner I instruct all the assemblies. 1 Cor. 7:17
YP0534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #15
TLFisher

Quote:
The meeting with the elder went OK. He is a lovely soft brother, who genuinely wants no harm to befall us. His concern was just that if we did not agree with all the local church is doing, how can we be one. I can see his point. For now all is well. We are allowed to attend meetings. Some are cautious about us apparently. My husband and I are praying that the log will be removed from our eyes. It is only too easy to see the speck in other people's eyes. How to remain one with the brethren outwardly, but also heed the spirits working within- that is the trick.
Joanna, I am much relieved the elder expressed concern and care rather than overreacting.
May your fellowship with the brothers and sisters continue.
What was meant "how can we be one"? Was it meant to imply outwardly or inwardly?

Terry
Old 12-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #16
Cal

Quote:
Joanna,

If I may, don't kid yourself. The "trick" is undoable in the long run. You can honor and respect those brothers. But if the Holy Spirit is requiring something of you that they do not agree with then remaining "one" with them (if oneness means going along with them) requires disobedience to God. There is no getting around this, unless you believe that when push comes to shove God Himself submits to elders.

Igzy
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #17
countmeworthy

Quote:
His concern was just that if we did not agree with all the local church is doing, how can we be one.
Uhhhhhhh. Our ONENESS is CHRIST. Isn't that what they preach???

I have friends who are Catholic. I have friends in the LC. I have Christian friends who don't meet with anyone..or go to church but are truly BORN Again.

How am I 'one' with them? I fellowship around the Word of GOD...Christ Himself. All we have to say to each other..WOW..Isn't GOD sooo AWESOME? Surely HIS GOODNESS and MERCY follows us everywhere we go...all the days of our lives. That's what Psalm 23 tells us and His WORD does not lie!

I RARELY get into the politics of the church stuff. Obviously I don't agree with a lot of Catholic dogma for instance but they DO believe in GOD the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost! So I try to stay away from all the other junk. I pray the LORD opens their eyes as HE opened mine. AND IF I am led by the Holy Spirit to enlighten them in a certain area I do. Otherwise, I leave it alone. I talk about the JOY of the LORD and the Power of Prayer and Repentance. But I don't try to 'convert' them.

Same with my LC friends. They want to read the Word in their sing-song way or say AAAAAAmen, uttingtosleep: & it might IRK me to no end but I leave it alone. They want to read from the RcV no biggie from me. I read from whatever translation I am led to. I don't get into the LSM/LC ministry junk...just so long as they don't try to 'convert' me back to the LSM/LC ministry.

Glad the meeting wasn't a knock down-knock out punch!

May the Glory of the LORD shine upon you Joanna!
Old 12-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #18
Former LC member

Hi there.
Obviously the oneness they are talking about is merely outward. No, we must be led by the Lord Jesus and not man, at the same time giving others the freedom to do likewise. What I meant by seeing what he meant, is that if people are in disagreement, it does foster a certain atmosphere. People know something is wrong and become concerned at best and suspicious at worst. This is a 'normal' human reaction. And where this feeling is growing among people, it is hard to be comfortable with each other and therefore hard to get close to each other. The distance prevents people feeling they are 'one', regardless of what each others true heart condition is.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #19
countmeworthy

You make a valid observation Joanna. Totally agree with your perception.

Quote:
. What I meant by seeing what he meant, is that if people are in disagreement, it does foster a certain atmosphere. People know something is wrong and become concerned at best and suspicious at worst. This is a 'normal' human reaction. And where this feeling is growing among people, it is hard to be comfortable with each other and therefore hard to get close to each other. The distance prevents people feeling they are 'one', regardless of what each others true heart condition is.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #20
TLFisher

Quote:
Hi there.
Obviously the oneness they are talking about is merely outward. No, we must be led by the Lord Jesus and not man, at the same time giving others the freedom to do likewise. What I meant by seeing what he meant, is that if people are in disagreement, it does foster a certain atmosphere. People know something is wrong and become concerned at best and suspicious at worst. This is a 'normal' human reaction. And where this feeling is growing among people, it is hard to be comfortable with each other and therefore hard to get close to each other. The distance prevents people feeling they are 'one', regardless of what each others true heart condition is.
Joanna, to a certain extent it is possible to disagree without the practical oneness being affected. I know a brother who did not want to take the Holy Word for Morning Revival, so he took the Bible instead. It wasn't an issue and it didn't affect the practical oneness. The practical oneness is not affected is a brother or sister choose to leave directly after the Table meeting is over. This was the case in the locality I used to meet in.
In the local churches when the practical oneness is affected is if a brother or sister wants to involve other ministries besides Living Stream. Practical oneness is affected when a brother or brothers are quarantined, and saints choose not to observe the quarantine. Practical oneness is not about being one absolutely. To me it's more about being in practical agreement that is not to be confused with spiritual oneness. Anything other than that is just putting up a front or facade.
Practically we can disagree and still be spiritually one. That has been my experience with many on this forum.

With grace,
Terry
Old 12-18-2008, 02:54 AM   #21
Suannehill

Quote:
My dear sister I prayed for you and your husband.

The genuine problem is not "oneness" it is "fall in line". Your brother may be able to cover and stand with you for awhile but eventually the pressure will ramp up and he will need to leave or make you leave. It is the nature of the LSM beast. It is a story repeated around the world. Folks at LSM have a need to control...as much as it is denied...it's there.
I did my very best to remain "one" with everyone. However, I saw that there was no genuine caring for the "oneness". All that was required was for everyone to "fall in step". I did not reject any of them, they rejected me.
2 years later, I got a letter welcoming me back...however, the rules are clear and there is no fellowship without LSM. In order to fellowship I must buy the materials and ONLY their materials, I must use only the Recovery Version (which I still use)...it's an old story.
If there are localities that do not require use of all materials it is a most unique place. As soon as the hard liners find out, there will be pressure to conform. Again, the loss of discernment leaves us with no choice but to conform, it is a story as old as the church.
You have remained in my heart since you appeared here.
Your sister,
Sue

When people lose their spiritual discernment it is easy to fall in line.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:18 AM   #22
Former LC member

I enjoy each ones contribution.
Obviously most have had hard experiences, but a few were accomodated. Lets hope for the best. The saints here will be having their conference in Hamilton soon and my husband and I are off to see family.
There may be some decision reached during this time concerning us. I will let you know of further developments. The saints in NZ need prayer as well, as four well known saints are dying of cancer at the moment. We are very saddened at this.
God bless
Old 01-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #23
Former LC member

Hello to all. Our little family is till doing well down here is NZ.
The local church meetings have resumed and my husband and I have attended 3. The saints here have continued to treat us as a member of the Lord's body and welcome us into the meetings. So, we are happy for this.
The elder who met with my husband formerly, has had another lunchtime meeting with him and there was sweet fellowship between them. I think my husband will try to see him again so that they can encourage each other.
So there we are. Maybe New Zealand is a little behind the local churches in the USA in the matter of quarantining. I hope so.
We will continue to meet with them until the Lord shows us otherwise or until man stirs something up. He is in control and we can trust him. At the same time, we are starting to read the Word more and pray for each other. We are feeling more content as we learn to be simple and trust the Lord's leading.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #24
countmeworthy

Thank You for sharing Joanna.

I personally don't know if I could attend another LC meeting...one that is reading from the morning revival booklets and from the RcV exclusively.

In fact, because I don't agree with some of Brother Lee's teachings and wouldn't feel free to 'disagree' with his viewpoints...such as 'the outerdarkness of 1000 yrs and a couple of other teachings, I wouldn't fit in.

I love reading books by different spiritual, anointed writers and talking about things that are not talked about in the LC environment.

That said...if you can bless them with the LOVE of Christ, infusing them with the Word of God as the Holy Spirit leads you into the dear brethren and they in turn are a blessing to you........GO FOR IT!

Btw,...did you ever hear of Barry Smith? He was a very good teacher of end times prophesy. He went to be with the Lord in June 2002. He was from New Zealand. I have been watching some of his meetings on GodTV he had in 2002 before he passed away.

If you did..I hope you enjoyed his messages. I have.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #25
finallyprettyokay

Quote:
The saints here have continued to treat us as a member of the Lord's body and welcome us into the meetings. So, we are happy for this.
Joanna:

I have rather mixed emotions reading this. I am really, really happy for you and your family that you are being treated well. This life is complicated, seldom as 'neat and clean' as we may wish. I understand that you are meeting where you need to at this time, for many different reasons.

On the other hand (don't you love those 'other hands'?), the people you are meeting with should treat you as members of the Lord's body -- just because you are! Shouldn't be optional.

God be with you, sister.
finallyprettyokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 AM   #26
Suannehill

The most wonderful part of all of this is your fellowship with your husband...treasure it.
Sue
Old 01-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #27
Former LC member

Yes, susanhill, our fellowship together as husband and wife has made the biggest difference to our lives. Suddenly, we both feel more content and our trust in the Lord has exploded. We also pray for each other as we go about our daily work. It's amazing what the Lord can do. And of course a little bit of pressure sure helps
Countmeworthy,-Yes, there is some of Witness Lee's teachings that I don't agree with either. We don't enjoy the HWFMR booklets. I find them confusing at best. The family always leaves before these are brought out in the meetings. That way we get to enjoy the Lord and His table and some of the sweet things shared by the saints. So far we are accommodated and are able to keep our conscience clean. We are both waiting to see what He wants us to do. It is sometimes confusing! I am sure the Lord will make things clear as we go along. I am doing my utmost to lean on Him and not my own understanding.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #28
Former LC member

Default Re: A Christian Sister in New Zealand

Hello to all.
Just a short note to let you know that we are about to move. We are leaving the capital city of Wellington and are moving up the West coast to a town called Paraparaumu. This is an hours commute from the city and my husband and our kids will commute each day. We have bought a house there and I will be based there workwise as well.
We have not been back to the LC meetings for a while. There seems to have been a slow cutting off from that fellowship. I do not mind at all.
The children have been enjoying fellowship with a local assembly here in the city and my husband and I go along sometimes.
I will be looking for a community style church or some little home churches when we get there. However, I will pray before deciding where to meet. I must endeavour to let the Lord lead and not impose my all too rash decisions on Him.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #29
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

Default Re: A Christian Sister in New Zealand

Thanks for the update Joanna, so good to hear from you!

We will be praying for you and your family as you seek his face. Always remember that He IS a rewarder of those who seek Him! If you find a group of believers that honor and love God's word ABOVE ALL ELSE you will not go wrong.
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #30
UntoHim

Default 7.8 quake strikes off NZ; small tsunami generated

7.8 quake strikes off NZ; small tsunami generated

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – A 7.8-magnitude earthquake struck off New Zealand's western coast Wednesday generating a small tsunami. No injuries or major damage were reported.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii warned that a tsunami was generated, but it later said the waves were less than 8 inches (20 centimeters) in height and the warning was canceled after about an hour.
The Joint Australian Tsunami Warning Centre also issued a tsunami alert for eastern Australia that was still in effect late Wednesday.
"All available New Zealand and international data about the earthquake and sea levels showed that there is no tsunami threat to New Zealand," said John Hamilton, director of the Ministry of Civil Defense and Emergency Management.

The quake's epicenter was 100 miles (161 kilometers) west of Invercargill, off the west coast of New Zealand's South Island at a depth of 21 miles (33 kilometers), the U.S. Geological Survey said. It hit at 0922 GMT on Wednesday.

The quake was felt widely across South Island. Police in the town of Tuatapere said they had reports of minor cracks in buildings and stock falling from supermarket shelves.

However, no reports of serious damage or injuries were received, police said.

Scientists with New Zealand's Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences were working with their U.S. counterparts late Wednesday to reconcile their readings with those taken overseas. The quake was reported locally at 6.6 magnitude before reports from the U.S. listed it at 7.8 magnitude and as high as 8.2.

"We've had big differences in the measurements of the quake, ranging from 6.6 by GNS Science, to 8.2 by a tsunami warning center in Hawaii. We're issuing a precautionary message," Vince Cholewa, an emergency management spokesman in Wellington, told the domestic news agency NZPA.

Scientists in New Zealand reported aftershocks, the first of 6.1 magnitude occurring 19 minutes after the main temblor.

New Zealand sits above an area of the Earth's crust where the Pacific and Australian tectonic plates collide and records more than 14,000 earthquakes a year, though only about 150 are felt by residents. Fewer than 10 temblors a year do any damage.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:56 AM   #31
UntoHim

Default "We may well be witnessing New Zealand's darkest day."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_re_...and_earthquake

------------------------------------------
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand – One of New Zealand's biggest cities lay in ruins Tuesday after a powerful earthquake toppled tall buildings and churches on a busy weekday, killing at least 65 people in the country's worst natural disaster in decades.

It was the second major quake to hit Christchurch, a city of 350,000, in five months, though Tuesday's 6.3-magnitude temblor caused far more destruction than a stronger September quake that struck before dawn on a weekend.

"It is just a scene of utter devastation," Prime Minister John Key said after rushing to the city within hours of the quake. He said the death toll was 65, and may rise. "We may well be witnessing New Zealand's darkest day."
--------------------------------------------------

Let's all keep the nation of New Zealand in our thoughts and prayers.

I know God is no respecter of persons, or of names of cities for that matter, but with a name like Christchurch, I can't help but think that somehow the Lord will use this tragedy for his glory.

I have sent a message to our Sister Joanna Tysoe to give us a report as soon as she can
-
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #32
Former LC member

Default Re: What's Goin Down Down Under - Australia, New Zeland and South Pacific

Thank you for your concern Unto Him. We live just 1 hour from Wellington, which is at the bottom of the North Island and was unaffected. Mostly it was the centre of Christchurch and the port town of Littleton that was affected. Although the quake was not as powerful as the one in September, it was shallow and sustained and so has caused a lot of damage. The latest report says 32 dead have been identified. They are expecting 100's more once buildings are searched and cleared of rubble. Apparently, dozens of buildings collapsed and some are burning. The quake happened during lunchtime and a lot of people were buried on the pavements as well, as brick walls collapsed. 100's of people had to stay overnight trapped in buildings. People stranded in the city whose accomodation has been lost, are camping in the parks, where they have water provided but little else as yet. We are all in shock. It has been horrible to see the images on TV of familiar buildings collapsed and scared crowds running in the streets bloodied and dusty with brick dust. Australia has sent 40 search and rescue people and USA is sending spe******ts, as is the UK. We are very grateful for our friends across the world. Also grateful that there just "happened" to be a conference in Christchurch of over 400 doctors from Australia, and they are there to help. The Lord is sovereign and will use this situation to turn many hearts to Him. I will keep the board posted as things unfold. Thankyou for your prayers dear saints.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #33
Former LC member

Default Re: What's Goin Down Down Under - Australia, New Zeland and South Pacific

We now have a death toll of 123 people with over 200 still missing. Water and sewerage out for most people in Christchurch. There is talk that a quarter of the city CBD will need to be demolished. Everyone here is in shock in varying degrees. However, amongst the tragedy companies and individuals are rallying round and giving support so generously. 1000's of homes have been offered for people to escape to and live in for as long as is needed. People are sending money and goods. Companies are trucking in water , milk and other supplies. 800 students are clearing the roads of muck. Christian groups and the Red Cross have set up refuge centres. Ordinary people are getting involed. "God Bless", is something I am hearing a lot more than previously. Unfortunately no one has been rescued since Wednesday. Please pray that more people will be found alive, as they dismantle some of the collapsed buildings.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #34
Koinonia

"Brief History and Present Situation of the Lord's Recovery in Australia"
Koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 06:52 PM   #35
Sunshine

This video was made in 2016. It portrayed Witness Lee as the founder of churches in Australia. It is highly misleading by him and his loyal followers!!!!

There were already established churches (and church life) in Sydney and throughout Australia with established ministry organizations outreaching to refugees, migrants as well as locals. They existed from the 1800s, way before Witness Lee was even born.

It goes to show that from 1971, none of their attitudes have changed. I was under their influence in Sydney from around 2006.

It was during 2021 that I finally woke up to the fact that whenever their use terms like churches, Body, and saints, they only refers to their own exclusive closed group.

Last edited by Sunshine; 02-11-2024 at 09:27 PM.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 05:04 PM   #36
TLFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
It was during 2021 that I finally woke up to the fact that whenever their use terms like churches, Body, and saints, they only refers to their own exclusive closed group.
If you examine history more closely the local churches have an remarkable similarities with the Brethren movement of the 19th century.
There are other exclusive closed groups like the Plymouth Brethren, International Church of Christ, Iglesia Ni Christo, who believe their church or fellowship of churches are it.