Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Oh Lord, Where Do We Go From Here?

Oh Lord, Where Do We Go From Here? Current and former members (and anyone in between!)... tell us what is on your mind and in your heart.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:33 PM   #1
LifeGoesOn

Default Christmas anyone?

So, for the first time since I was born, I will be celebrating Christmas. I am headed with my family to my mother-in law’s tomorrow on Christmas Eve. My wife and I want to use this holiday to share the Gospel with our kids and create new family traditions centered around the importance of our Messiah coming into the world.

As a kid I was told that we just don’t celebrate Chtistmas. I don’t even recall the reason given for not celebrating it. Just a big void around that time of year and feeling abnormal.

How have you guys felt about celebrating Christmas since you left the LC and who is celebrating it this year?
John‬ 8:31-32‬
LifeGoesOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
Ohio

Default Re: Christmas anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeGoesOn View Post
So, for the first time since I was born, I will be celebrating Christmas. I am headed with my family to my mother-in law’s tomorrow on Christmas Eve. My wife and I want to use this holiday to share the Gospel with our kids and create new family traditions centered around the importance of our Messiah coming into the world.

As a kid I was told that we just don’t celebrate Chtistmas. I don’t even recall the reason given for not celebrating it. Just a big void around that time of year and feeling abnormal.

How have you guys felt about celebrating Christmas since you left the LC and who is celebrating it this year?
For years I heard about the pagan origins. Then one day it dawned on me that the only holiday in the LC we can celebrate is Chinese New Year. Wassup wit dat?

Did anyone tell WL about the pagan origins of CNY??? Course not.

Yet he was allowed to use CNY to worship God and preach the gospel, but we Americans could not do the same with Christmas?

Does that not define hypocrisy?

Good for you to use the holiday to tell your kids about the Savior!!!

Read the stories from the Bible.

The next town over has a pilgrimage they put on to re-enact the stories. We went one year. It was great. No one could talk, only pray silently, and relive the events.

In the gloomy midwest, I actually love all the outdoor house decorations. So beautiful.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
LifeGoesOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
For years I heard about the pagan origins. Then one day it dawned on me that the only holiday in the LC we can celebrate is Chinese New Year. Wassup wit dat?

Yet he was allowed to use CNY to worship God and preach the gospel, but we Americans could not do the same with Christmas?

The next town over has a pilgrimage they put on to re-enact the stories. We went one year. It was great. No one could talk, only pray silently, and relive the events.

In the gloomy midwest, I actually love all the outdoor house decorations. So beautiful.

Good point. And having grown up in the Midwest too, I loved the way that Christmas lights lit up the evenings and broke the depressing hold those grey Midwestern skies had on us during the winter (seemingly half the year LOL).
Old 12-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
Ohio

Quote:
Good point. And having grown up in the Midwest too, I loved the way that Christmas lights lit up the evenings and broke the depressing hold those grey Midwestern skies had on us during the winter (seemingly half the year LOL).
I wish they would keep the lights on until March.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:40 PM   #5
LifeGoesOn

Quote:
Ah, but you can my friend. I’ll let you in on a little loophole I discovered. They’re called “Italian lights” and you can hand them year ‘round. 😉

Old 12-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
countmeworthy

Quote:
Why not all year? The bible tells us we are going to have mansions. I have already requested Christmas lights to decorate my mansion ! Of course, my mansion is going to look like an Ark filled with animals and a water fall too ! And LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF LOVE...GLORY LOVE OF JESUS..

Music by ABBA... I have been listening to some of those old songs...such angelic voices and musical talents... been praying for their salvation. I don't think Europe with all it's religious rituals ever felt Jesus touch them. And thus it's not too late for ABBA GOD to touch this Swedish band of old.
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #7
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by countmeworthy View Post
Why not all year? The bible tells us we are going to have mansions. I have already requested Christmas lights to decorate my mansion ! Of course, my mansion is going to look like an Ark filled with animals and a water fall too ! And LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF LOVE...GLORY LOVE OF JESUS..
Bible never says we will have "mansions." Bad KJV translation, gives the readers a wrong impression of what the Lord said.

If some Belair mansion in the hills of LA comes to your mind, then you really need to rethink it all to include Santa Anna winds and forest fires.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #8
countmeworthy

Quote:

I have celebrated Christmas off and on for umpteen years. of course I have also been free from the LC clutches for umpteen years!!!

Was WL a hypocrite for celebrating the CNY... hmm... one thing he was for sure is that HE WAS A CONTROL FREAK!

I too love the night light Christmas decors. For years and years I thought Christmas was the perfect time to take the opportunity to share Jesus with people. I always remember Paul's message at Mars hill to the Greeks: Let me tell you about this 'unknown God'. Oh that God would anoint our hearts and minds and give us the words to bring Jesus to people as the day draws near.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #9
BlueOrchid

I celebrated this year for the first time with the least amount of guilt!
It was so much fun.

I remember the emptiness and loneliness as a child, waking up alone with everything closed, siblings arguing, etc. Left alone with nothing to do and nothing open. So sad! I was resentful that the training took away family time and it especially hurt at this time of year. Year after year parents sat getting "trained" while their kids were away from them. So sad.
Interesting point about Chinese New Year. I never thought about it that way and you are so right!

~BlueOrchid
BlueOrchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
LifeGoesOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOrchid View Post

I remember the emptiness and loneliness as a child, waking up alone with everything closed, siblings arguing, etc. Left alone with nothing to do and nothing open. So sad! I was resentful that the training took away family time and it especially hurt at this time of year. Year after year parents sat getting "trained" while their kids were away from them. So sad.
Interesting point about Chinese New Year. I never thought about it that way and you are so right!

~BlueOrchid

Old 12-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #11
countmeworthy

Quote:

I remember seeing the Chinese calendar pushed by the LC back in the mid 70s. So many of the pics looked demonic and the LC leadership simply winked at it.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #12
LifeGoesOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOrchid View Post
I celebrated this year for the first time with the least amount of guilt!
It was so much fun...

~BlueOrchid
Old 12-27-2017, 08:58 PM   #13
JJ

Quote:

I try not to let “Christmas” be a distraction, but focus on enjoying the opportunity to appreciate the Lord’s first coming while looking forward to His second coming.

Christians in the community churches I’ve attended since 2000 mostly get that, and messages along those lines are shared every year.
And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14 NASB)
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:19 AM   #14
LifeGoesOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I try not to let “Christmas” be a distraction, but focus on enjoying the opportunity to appreciate the Lord’s first coming while looking forward to His second coming.

Christians in the community churches I’ve attended since 2000 mostly get that, and messages along those lines are shared every year.
Exactly. 😃
Old 04-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #15
clever sister

Quote:

My first Christmas outside of LC I was living in a country where my only family member was a cousin who was never in LC. I asked him if I could spend Christmas holiday with him and was kindly allowed to join his wife's family celebration. Christmas eve we went to a Christmas service, which was the first time I had been to anything Christianity related since leaving LC. When I woke up on Christmas morning at the breakfast table was a make-shift stocking my cousin and his wife and filled with a few presents for me. My first Christmas stocking in my life! We then headed to his wife's sisters house and I was made to feel like part of the family. Several of her family members gave me presents even though they had never met me before. It was so delightful, I was only indirectly related to these people but they showed me what the "Christmas spirit" is all about.

And so the second Christmas I had away from home I invited a friend who was also away from home to spend the day with me. We had great fun, making a ginger bread house, cooking meals together, watching Christmas movies.
clever sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #16
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clever sister View Post
My first Christmas outside of LC I was living in a country where my only family member was a cousin who was never in LC. I asked him if I could spend Christmas holiday with him and was kindly allowed to join his wife's family celebration. Christmas eve we went to a Christmas service, which was the first time I had been to anything Christianity related since leaving LC. When I woke up on Christmas morning at the breakfast table was a make-shift stocking my cousin and his wife and filled with a few presents for me. My first Christmas stocking in my life! We then headed to his wife's sisters house and I was made to feel like part of the family. Several of her family members gave me presents even though they had never met me before. It was so delightful, I was only indirectly related to these people but they showed me what the "Christmas spirit" is all about.

And so the second Christmas I had away from home I invited a friend who was also away from home to spend the day with me. We had great fun, making a ginger bread house, cooking meals together, watching Christmas movies.
WHAT??? No football?

Nell
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #17
clever sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
WHAT??? No football?

Nell
Is this a States thing?
clever sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:01 PM   #18
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clever sister View Post
Is this a States thing?
Absolutely. Watch football until you have square eyeballs.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #19
Sons to Glory!

Quote:

So I know this is a little late, being that it's almost June! And I haven't read what others have posted, so that will be interesting to read . . .

Since leaving the LC I've been all over the map regarding Xmas. I used to rail against it, because it is basically just a pagan holiday with some Christ things added in by the Church in Rome to pretty it up. But I'm surrounded by people who do celebrate it, although they are not really sure why. In the end, it's just like the Roman Catholic Church - a big hairy mystery . . . a little dark (all the overt moneymaking of "the season") but glittery.

But what has been the result of me railing against this mixed-bag holiday - Did one person get saved from it? Not that I'm aware. Did one person even get life from what I told them? I doubt it. Do I loose my peace? Yes.

(And it fascinates me that there are so many glorious songs and hymns about Christ that people hear during this season, but it seems as if nothing of light comes through in their hearts. Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am, but I haven't seen much of that happen at all. In fact, I wonder if it anesthetizes people to the glory of Christ by mixing reindeer and Deck the Halls party type songs with Silent Night and other such hymns. Maybe though it's like Paul said - at least Christ is preached . . .)

Ultimately I came to realize that the bottom line is, if my brother honors that day, I will honor it with him. If he doesn't honor it, I'm there too. That is, I endeavor not to be any stumbling to anyone, nor to break the oneness of the Spirit. I doubt that at the Bema Seat the Lord will look at any of us and be critical about whether or not we celebrated Christmas. What I think He is concerned about is whether I stumble my brother or build him up!

So brother, if you celebrate Christmas, do it unto Him. If you don't celebrate it, do it unto Him.

Now to read what others have said . . .
Sons to Glory! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:57 PM   #20
Evangelical

If your Christian brother celebrates Ramadan what do you do then? And sometimes Muslims return the favor, they celebrate Christmas themselves and support Christians celebrating it.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:09 AM   #21
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

Really Mr. E? Christians celebrating Ramadan? Ramadan is a Muslim holiday. Your wisecrack is not only in bad taste, it's off topic. Please start engaging your mind before you engage your keyboard. Fair enough?
-
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #22
Evangelical

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
Really Mr. E? Christians celebrating Ramadan? Ramadan is a Muslim holiday. Your wisecrack is not only in bad taste, it's off topic. Please start engaging your mind before you engage your keyboard. Fair enough?
-
In Muslim countries Christians can and do observe Ramadan together as much as any Muslim might observe Christmas:

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ne...ast-iftar.html

In the US:

"Christians Host Muslims at Kansas Megachurch for Ramadan Dinner":

http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2018/...ramadan-dinner

Over 300 Muslims and Christians gathered last week at a megachurch in Kansas to share a meal after sunset based on Muslim tradition during Ramadan.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #23
Sons to Glory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
If your Christian brother celebrates Ramadan what do you do then? And sometimes Muslims return the favor, they celebrate Christmas themselves and support Christians celebrating it.
I don't know - guess I'd have to rely on the Anointing to tell me!
Sons to Glory! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas