Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Oh Lord, Where Do We Go From Here?

Oh Lord, Where Do We Go From Here? Current and former members (and anyone in between!)... tell us what is on your mind and in your heart.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
zeek

Default The Judgment Seat of Christ

2 Corinthians 5:10

King James Version (KJV)

10For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

We can thank Witness Lee for drawing our attention to this verse.
zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
kisstheson

Question Re: the judgment seat of Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post

King James Version (KJV)

10For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

Hello dear zeek. I am trying to figure out where you are coming from in your opening post for this thread. I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

As far as I can figure out, there are four possible ways to interpret you opening post:
  1. This is an important, but neglected, verse. We should thank WL for bringing this verse to our attention.
  2. I do not like this verse. I wish WL had never mentioned it.
  3. I do not agree with the whole Govett/Pember/Nee/Lee approach to interpreting this verse (i.e. through the lens of dispensational reward and punishment)
  4. Some other interpretation of your opening post??
Please let us know more clearly what your opening post is meant to convey. The meaning seems plain enough, but I don't know you well enough to be able to discern whether or not you are being sarcastic.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
zeek

Default Re: the judgment seat of Christ

It wasn't sarcasm. In my experience in Christianity, this verse was never preached. The use of the word "we" suggests that Paul was referring to himself and the Corinthians and by implication all believers having to face the judgment seat of Christ. If that's true, that's important information to have.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Guest2
Guest Poster

I dont know about you but this reminds me of the LC Overcomer teachings. That some Christians will be classified as Overcomers and "reign" with God while others will live on the new earth.
Guest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
ZNPaaneah

Quote:

King James Version (KJV)

I find this verse very comforting. It is comforting when I read of corruption to realize that "we all will have to appear". It is comforting when I realize some major corporation has scammed me or taxpayers in general. It is comforting when I see the mismanagement in Washington and what I can only describe as pigs at the trough.

I also find this verse very helpful in guiding me. Often when trying to choose a path it is nice to know that in the end it is not about who has the most money, or whose ego got stroked the most, but in the end we will all have to appear before the judgement seat.

It is also helpful in prioritizing. This verse doesn't say we will be judged for how well we understood the Bible, but for the things done in the Body. Now, studying the word and teaching it should count as something done in the Body, but it does change the emphasis for me.

And of course this verse is a great way to put the brakes on the madness of the prophet. We often want to judge others, especially on this forum, but you need to constantly remember that "with what judgement we judge we shall be judged".
Old 08-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
zeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
I find this verse very comforting. It is comforting when I read of corruption to realize that "we all will have to appear". It is comforting when I realize some major corporation has scammed me or taxpayers in general. It is comforting when I see the mismanagement in Washington and what I can only describe as pigs at the trough.

I also find this verse very helpful in guiding me. Often when trying to choose a path it is nice to know that in the end it is not about who has the most money, or whose ego got stroked the most, but in the end we will all have to appear before the judgement seat.

It is also helpful in prioritizing. This verse doesn't say we will be judged for how well we understood the Bible, but for the things done in the Body. Now, studying the word and teaching it should count as something done in the Body, but it does change the emphasis for me.

And of course this verse is a great way to put the brakes on the madness of the prophet. We often want to judge others, especially on this forum, but you need to constantly remember that "with what judgement we judge we shall be judged".
Amen to all of the above. It means I am accountable to the ultimate justice which includes compassion.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
aron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leomon View Post
this reminds me of the LC Overcomer teachings. That some Christians will be classified as Overcomers and "reign" with God while others will live on the new earth.
Rev 3:21 "To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne."

So the notion is not entirely baseless. As to what extent "overcoming" is connected with the Millenial Kingdom, the New Jerusalem, and the new heaven and new earth, I think is a little harder to pin down. But overcoming is talked about in the NT, with accompanying promises.

However, 1 John 5:5 says, "Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God."

Some people (not the LCs) think that "believing" equals "overcoming."

Just to muddy up your soup a little.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
aron

Quote:
It wasn't sarcasm. In my experience in Christianity, this verse was never preached. The use of the word "we" suggests that Paul was referring to himself and the Corinthians and by implication all believers having to face the judgment seat of Christ. If that's true, that's important information to have.
As I have shared, my sense is that Protestant reformers were so wary of "works" they reeled from any association. That includes judgment for works done by christian believers.

Instead, all I remember is "Salvation is a gift of God; it is not of works but of grace that we are saved" (Eph 2)

No one said, "Behold, I am coming, and my reward is according to your works" (Rev 22).

Two things I am grateful for in my LC time. First, I had a lot of fun. Second, I learned a couple of things.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
countmeworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post
Two things I am grateful for in my LC time. First, I had a lot of fun. Second, I learned a couple of things.
Me too Aron. Me too.
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
Ohio

Quote:
As we exited the LC, we received lots of help from Gary Smalley, a respected Christian counselor. One word of wisdom he gave is to "Treasure Hunt" every painful experience we have, looking for the things of value, which ultimately are from our Heavenly Father.

I recommend this "advice" to all the posters here.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
OBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
As we exited the LC, we received lots of help from Gary Smalley, a respected Christian counselor. One word of wisdom he gave is to "Treasure Hunt" every painful experience we have, looking for the things of value, which ultimately are from our Heavenly Father.

I recommend this "advice" to all the posters here.
I agree on the "respected" part with reference to Gary Smalley. Did people actually get specific counsel from him? I would have to consider his counsel then.

And I know it sort of runs counter to my "dump the LRC" mentality, but only with respect to the experiences. And he is probably right to mine all the experiences, not just to find good ones, but to realize what needs to be dealt with.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
I agree on the "respected" part with reference to Gary Smalley. Did people actually get specific counsel from him? I would have to consider his counsel then.

And I know it sort of runs counter to my "dump the LRC" mentality, but only with respect to the experiences. And he is probably right to mine all the experiences, not just to find good ones, but to realize what needs to be dealt with.
Not personally with Smalley, but via dvd. And yes, he is helpful to many. His messagea about "treasure hunting" are excellent. He takes the matter of "forgiving those who hurt you" to a higher level.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
PriestlyScribe

Quote:
Rev 3:21 "To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne."

Some people (not the LCs) think that "believing" equals "overcoming."
aron, let me point out that the LCs have a similarly defective method of preparing to be overcomers - they for the most part believe that "speaking" equals "overcoming"!

For example how many times were we compelled to recite this phrase over and over again - regardless of whether or not it seemed to be effective:

"And they overcame... by the Blood of the Lamb and the word of their testimony"

Here's a YouTube video segment in which Ron Kangas clearly demonstrates this generalized "wishful thinking syndrome":

We are of the day, we are the dawn people

P.S.
Therefore seeing we have this ministry, even as we obtained mercy, we faint not; but we have renounced the hidden things of shame, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by the manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God. [2 Cor 4:1-2 ASV] - Our YouTube Channel - OUR WEBSITES - OUR FAVORITE SONG, ''I Abdicate''
PriestlyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote