Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Suggestions and Feedback

Suggestions and Feedback Throw your two cents in here! Give us your suggestions & feedback for the title/subject of a new board.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

Default How do you....?

Throw your two cents in here! Give us your suggestions for the title/subject of a new board, or a better title/subject of an existing board. Let everybody know your opinion of what should or should not happen on this forum. Your opinion COUNTS!

UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
YP0534

Default new homepage

I was really pleased to see something besides a directory tree when I ended up at the main website URL. I had typed it in once and it's there in my browser history so I kept seeing the directory over and over and then navigating into the vBulletin directory to access the forum.

Thanks for making this landing place more informative and welcoming. I personally wouldn't have been so skittish when I arrived if I had seen that at the first. I think the general tone here plus this new home page helps our lurker friends realize that, perhaps at last, they truly are among friends and brothers and sisters.

I also think you should include a link back to that home page from inside the forum. Maybe just a quick link or under the FAQ? Since it does have substantive information on it about who we are and why we're here.

I like those pictures, too!
Let each walk as the Lord has distributed to each, as God has called each, and in this manner I instruct all the assemblies. 1 Cor. 7:17
YP0534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
p.s.

Hello... not sure where to post this, but I have a couple of technical questions:

1. I am used to following forum threads in a chronological manner, but since registering here, the linear mode of thread displays post from most recent to opening post. since this is disconcerting for me, how do I reverse the order so op displays first and most recent post last?

2. how do I apply for a password to access the sisters' forum?

TIA!
p.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:54 PM   #4
UntoHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.s. View Post
1. I am used to following forum threads in a chronological manner, but since registering here, the linear mode of thread displays post from most recent to opening post. since this is disconcerting for me, how do I reverse the order so op displays first and most recent post last?
Please hit "User CP" (control panel), then click on "Edit Options" on your left there...then third box down is "Thread Display Options"...go to the pull-down box "Thread Display Mode" and pull it down to "Linear - oldest first"
Quote:
2. how do I apply for a password to access the sisters' forum?
Please send PM to "Thankful Jane" or "Nell" and tell them just a little about yourself and they will pass that along to you.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
p.s.

Thank you!
p.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:35 AM   #6
Thankful Jane

Default Finding New Posts

The hardest adjustment for me coming to this forum from the other one is being able to find and read all posts new posts since my last visit. If I click "New Posts" at the top of the page, I get a list of all new posts from evey subforum. That's great, but it seems I only get the new posts for the current day. I want to see unread posts for prior days as well.

(The other forum (Bereans) was a "sub" forum which, when you entered it, you could easily see what posts you had not read because they were bolded/flagged. That was nice.)

So far the only thing I have figured out as a way to find all posts I haven't read (including days prior to the current one), is to open each subforum, by clicking on the subforum name (on the left of the page). Then I can identify the threads on that subforum which I have not read because they are bolded/flagged.

My question: Is there is a better, faster, way to accomplish my objective? I would be very grateful if someone could tell me that there was!

Thankful Jane
Thankful Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:42 AM   #7
YP0534

Yes, this was difficult for me to understand at first and it's been a little difficult for me to get used to but I think I like it better now because it's far less distracting and really well organized. I'd inevitably be disappointed when new posts to a thread were just 50 back and forth postings between two equally empty heads trying to swap definitions of black and white.

The color of the icon on the left of the screen on the main page indicates the presence of new postings to that forum. On the right, the most recent post in that forum is presented with member name, timestamp and a direct link into that thread. If you are interested in one of the forums that has subforums, you can click the forum name and see the same information for all of the subforums.

I think the feature you want to use is "subscription" because any topic (forum, subforum or thread) that you are interested in can even be delivered to your email in box as well as browsed in your User CP. If you have extra time, you can always browse other topics of interest and see what's happened there since your last browse.

Like I said. I like it better now. It really makes more sense.
Let each walk as the Lord has distributed to each, as God has called each, and in this manner I instruct all the assemblies. 1 Cor. 7:17
Old 07-20-2008, 07:15 AM   #8
UntoHim

Default Didn't your mommie ever tell you....

Didn't your mommie ever tell you that good things come to those who wait?

See, you waited and you got all your smilies (thanks to Helper)

At some point there is going to be a section at the top of the main page that will contain the last 5 posts regardless of where they were posted. It may be that there will be a category with the 5 "hottest" threads and the last post within them as well. This will make quick work of finding out what is going on. Of course one can always scroll down to view all the various boards, glance to the right and there will be the last post listed right there.

Keep the comments comin...changes for the better will be made on the fly. Also, all you computer/Internet geeks out there (and you know who you are) are encouraged to make suggestions to me and Helper and even volunteer a little of your time behind the scenes. (keep in mind that your only reward will be in heaven)
Old 07-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankful Jane View Post
The hardest adjustment for me coming to this forum from the other one is being able to find and read all posts new posts since my last visit. If I click "New Posts" at the top of the page, I get a list of all new posts from evey subforum. That's great, but it seems I only get the new posts for the current day. I want to see unread posts for prior days as well.

(The other forum (Bereans) was a "sub" forum which, when you entered it, you could easily see what posts you had not read because they were bolded/flagged. That was nice.)

So far the only thing I have figured out as a way to find all posts I haven't read (including days prior to the current one), is to open each subforum, by clicking on the subforum name (on the left of the page). Then I can identify the threads on that subforum which I have not read because they are bolded/flagged.

My question: Is there is a better, faster, way to accomplish my objective? I would be very grateful if someone could tell me that there was!

Thankful Jane
TJ, in the center of the forum tool bar at top is a button labeled "new posts" which sometimes helps.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:46 AM   #10
YP0534

Default Request to the recently migrated.

I know most of us are spending more time here than at the old place and I for one am extremely glad for it. I haven't had my stomach turn once since I arrived here and it happened at least daily on the other board.

I have made a suggestion to put a link to the forum's new home page somewhere within the forum area but I also want to make this suggestion to each of the members:

If you put a link to this forum in your signature at the old forum, you should link to the main home page instead of directly to the forum. The introduction page is very good and helpful in knowing who we are and why we're here. Visiting lurkers may be more willing to warm to fellowship if they see that page first rather than the potentially overwhelming forum index.

Your signature changes globally on all your old posts over there so that anyone seeing anything you wrote in the past would also be able to see where you are posting now as well. But many people would be helped (I know I would have been) by seeing a friendly home page such as we have here now.

Problem is, if you don't send them right to it, they'll never see it.

Therefore, I suggest that we all link to:
http://localchurchdiscussions.com
instead of directly into the vBulletin directory.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:23 AM   #11
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by YP0534 View Post
I know most of us are spending more time here than at the old place and I for one am extremely glad for it. I haven't had my stomach turn once since I arrived here and it happened at least daily on the other board.

I have made a suggestion to put a link to the forum's new home page somewhere within the forum area but I also want to make this suggestion to each of the members:

If you put a link to this forum in your signature at the old forum, you should link to the main home page instead of directly to the forum. The introduction page is very good and helpful in knowing who we are and why we're here. Visiting lurkers may be more willing to warm to fellowship if they see that page first rather than the potentially overwhelming forum index.

Your signature changes globally on all your old posts over there so that anyone seeing anything you wrote in the past would also be able to see where you are posting now as well. But many people would be helped (I know I would have been) by seeing a friendly home page such as we have here now.
Point taken. I also think the best way to "advertise" this new forum, is to reference it in our old Berean signature lines, which get displayed with every read. The Berean forum comes up on all searches, so it is the best banner we have. As long as we occasionally post there, maybe the BARM guys will be nice about it.

There are also occasional posters who would show up and wonder "where's everybody go?" Anybody got time for an email writing campaign to former friends?
Old 07-21-2008, 07:06 AM   #12
Thankful Jane

Great suggestion, YP. I did it. I also posted on the mass migrations thread this morning.

I also think it is a good idea to post there occasionally and bring to the top old, good threads that can help people who search and find the Bereans. The "mass migrations" thread is a good one to keep on page one because it informs people in more detail about this forum.

Thanks for your tip Ohio. The New Posts button helps if I visit the forum everyday, but if I miss a few days, I have to hunt for posts I missed because the New Posts button only shows the current day's posts. Sigh. I guess I'll just have to hunt.

Hey Helper, is there any way a button can be created that will find all new posts since one's last visit (on all subforums)? If not, okie, dokie ... just thought I'd ask ...

Thankful
Thankful Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
UntoHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankful Jane View Post
..Hey Helper, is there any way a button can be created that will find all new posts since one's last visit (on all subforums)? If not, okie, dokie ... just thought I'd ask ...Thankful
I THINK that is exactly what happens when you click on "New Posts" button up there on the black bar above. I might be wrong, but that's how it is working for me. I don't remember ever changing a setting that made it do this...this is just what the function of that button is.

Again, there are plans in the works to have a section at the very top of the opening page that would display the last 5 (maybe 10) posts made, along with what forum it is in and who posted it. There is also the possibility that 5 posts from the "hottest" threads/boards would be displayed as well. This is all technically a bit much for me to handle right now...but not to worry, "Helper", when he gets time may be able to pull this off in the near future. There are other members out there as well with the experience/knowledge to assist as well.

Oh, just to be clear, the actual complete post won't be displayed...just the name/title of the thread itself will be shown.