Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Glorious Church Life!

Glorious Church Life! Discussions regarding the beginnings of the Local Church in the USA/North America. Emphasis on the 60s and 70s.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
leastofthese

Default Grace, mercy, humility

Can someone point me to any work of Witness Lee or LSM approved literature that shows Lee demonstrating grace/mercy/humility towards other believers who don't accept his authoritarian, all inclusive interpretation of scripture or share his point of view of the Christian life? Or a piece of work where he actively demonstrates that he doesn't hold an unquestionable understanding of a specific truth?

I want to be clear, I'm not stating they don't exist, I'd like some reference points for a discussion outside of this forum.

Thanks!

LoT
Old 08-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #2
Trapped

Default Re: Grace, mercy, humility

This isn't a very strong one but in the "One Publication" letter (an authoritarian document if I've ever seen one), there is this paragraph:

"Finally, all the churches and saints everywhere must understand that the matter of one publication is not a matter of the common faith but something related to the one ministry in the Lordís recovery. The ministry is the sounding of the trumpet among us in the Lordís recovery, and there should be no uncertain sounding of this trumpet, as Brother Lee has mentioned on a number of occasions. However, the one publication should not become the basis of our accepting or rejecting any persons in the communion of faith or in the fellowship of the churches; it should not be insisted on as an item of the faith. If any are not inclined to be restricted in one publication, these ones are still our brothers; they are still in the genuine local churches."

I know many (including me) could dissect this paragraph in terms of what has actually been practiced, or in the "on the other hand" view of what the rest of the document says, but I don't intend that this thread go down that path since that's not what you're asking (another thread on the "One Publication" could work for those purposes though).

I'll keep looking in Lee's actual ministry for anything.

Trapped
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #3
Ohio

Default Re: Grace, mercy, humility

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastofthese View Post
Can someone point me to any work of Witness Lee or LSM approved literature that shows Lee demonstrating grace/mercy/humility towards other believers who don't accept his authoritarian, all inclusive interpretation of scripture or share his point of view of the Christian life? Or a piece of work where he actively demonstrates that he doesn't hold an unquestionable understanding of a specific truth?

I want to be clear, I'm not stating they don't exist, I'd like some reference points for a discussion outside of this forum.

Thanks!

LoT
Lee's early ministry was far more gracious and accommodating.

The one book that comes to mind is The Speciality, Generality, and Practicality of the Church Life based on messages given in 1971.

Anything published by Stream Publishers, rather than Living Stream Ministry, is more apt to demonstrate mercy and grace to other believers.

Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote