Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Extras! Extras! Read All About It!

Extras! Extras! Read All About It! Everything else that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else

Old 07-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
aron

Default The Two Kingdoms

I wanted to comment further on KSA's "Life after the LC" thread but was concerned that I might derail things because I sort of have an idea that I want to think about in public. So I will use his comments as my starting point.

KSA said that he didn't try to recruit other christians to join his fellowship, or advise them to leave their groups or fellowships. He received those who came but didn't try to influence the decisions of others.

To me, this is wise, and signals God's providential hand. There are two kingdoms, the kingdom within, and the kingdom without. The kingdom within was clued by the Lord Jesus: "Don't say the kingdom of God is here or there. No, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you." I take this counsel on two levels. One, it is between saints as they fellowship. The flow of shared reality is a kingdom God is building. Second, it can be taken as "in your innermost being". The kingdom of God is in the midst of you, plural, as you fellowship together, and it is also in the midst of you singular. It is your soul.

Maybe this is too hopeful of a reading on my part, but consider when the Lord said, "What profits a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul life?" The soul is a kingdom worth more than all the treasures in the world. The soul is the most valuable thing of all the gifts God has bequeathed us. It is the cultivation of this kingdom, I surmise, that forms the basis of the 'inner life' experience.

But the inner kingdom cannot be imposed upon the outer kingdom. What my fellows do, what the politicians do, what the weather does, are all out of my control. As soon as I try to influence the external things, to impose my "soul" upon others, I distort their kingdom. The best I can do is be an example for them, a model of how to control one's soul, one's self.

Despite all their protests to the contrary, we did see a system where people controlled others. People were 'advised' to take a certain course of action; which course of action if they refused would lead to quarantine in this age and a thousand years in a dark room in the next. Fairly repressive advice, I felt. So I decided to move on. One lesson I learned is not to control others. Peter said this: "Don't lord it over the saints. Merely lead by being an example".

KSA's testimony of not trying to influence the walk of others, but merely to be faithful to take care of his own walk, is testimony to me that he is taking care of the first kingdom, the kingdom within, and leaving the second kingdom, the kingdom of "Everything Else", to God, where it belongs. I think there is much, much more to say on this principle, but that is enough for now. Thanks for considering my thoughts.

Last edited by aron; 07-09-2008 at 09:53 AM. Reason: clarity
aron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
countmeworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post
....the inner kingdom cannot be imposed upon the outer kingdom. What my fellows do, what the politicians do, what the weather does, are all out of my control. As soon as I try to influence the external things, to impose my "soul" upon others, I distort their kingdom. The best I can do is be an example for them, a model of how to control one's soul, one's self.
Thanks for considering my thoughts.
Excellent comments made by both you and KSA, Aron!

Ya know. I was saved in Christ Jesus through the gospel outreach of the LC Brethren in 1975.

I truly fell in love with our Lord and indeed I was set free from the strongholds and sins in my life. I gave my life to Jesus no doubt. I loved fellowshipping..learning..the meetings even though so much of it was over my head at the time as I didn't know didly squat regarding the Bible.

BUTTTTTTT...one thing I noticed about myself and kept it a 'secret' was this:

Unless I was with a number of saints, I did not ever lure anyone into the LC. I would talk to strangers easily and tell them about Jesus..about His Saving Grace, 'the purpose of man'...etc.

But I didn't like drawing them into 'the church'. Once they came to a meeting, I didn't mind talking to them..and 'nurturing' them in the Word & the life studies we used.

Fast forward to 2008. I STILL don't like inviting people to 'church'. I think it may have been Mike -OBW, who wrote he & his wife have 'church' wherever and with whoever..(paraphrasing here).

Same here. I love to share the LORD with people..to talk about the things of the LORD..HIS WORD. I love to pray with people and for people..it doesn't matter to me where.

I often think of the scripture in Hebrews that tells us not to forsake the assemblying of ourselves together. The scripture does not instruct us to 'go to church'. Yes...we're to Praise & Worship together, to teach the WORD..to minister one to another but it's not about bringing someone to 'church'.

And btw, I love attending conferences more than going 'to church'.
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:11 AM   #3
KSA

Aron, thank you for your thoughts! Great thing is that the most wonderful fellowship happens outside of the frame of the "service". People, when come to the service, somehow often act differently than usual. It is great to have a meal at the meeting. it really puts people at ease. And you know it hard to be angry after a substancial meal
KSA is offline   Reply With Quote