Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Oh Lord, Where Do We Go From Here?

Oh Lord, Where Do We Go From Here? Current and former members (and anyone in between!)... tell us what is on your mind and in your heart.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2020, 11:02 PM   #1
Trapped

Default Confessing Sins After Salvation?

Not sure if I'm going to explain this question very well, so bear with me.

What is the responsibility of a believer concerning sins they commit after salvation?

The first verse that comes to mind is 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

However, I have read three differing articles on that verse, all with completely different conclusions. One says this is regarding our initial salvation and he forgives the past sins committed pre-salvation. One says, essentially, that it means "if we are a person who has confessed that we are a sinner" then he will forgive ongoing sins and no need to keep confessing. One says this is ongoing continual confession regarding our continued sins after salvation.

The interpretation that we don't need to continue to confess is accused of being an "easy believism". The interpretation that says we do continually need to confess our sins is accused of being "works based" (i.e. if continued confession were required for maintaining right-standing with God, then we would then be earning our right-standing).

I have heard the flat statement "It is finished. The debt has been paid. No need to keep confessing."

I have heard "Keeping a clean slate by confessing is a matter of the reward."

I have heard "How can we be required to confess every sin after salvation? What if we forget a sin?"

I have heard "Of course we need to confess, otherwise we abuse His grace."

Here is an example of one stance, saying we can never lose fellowship or right standing with God because the death of Christ was once for all time:
https://mattmcmillenministries.com/c...ship-with-god/

Thoughts?

P.S. to keep this LC-related, I believe WL taught we need to continually confess to "keep a clear sky" before the Lord. I also believe he taught that when we sin, God essentially turns away from us and gives us the cold shoulder until we confess, and even then He may bide His time before restoring a free-flowing relationship. That is what is behind my question, but I don't really want a dissection of WL's teaching, but want to know what you think Biblically.
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote