Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Extras! Extras! Read All About It!

Extras! Extras! Read All About It! Everything else that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else

Old 01-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
Unsure

Default The Children's Service

It seems that (in my locality at least) that the children's service is the only thing left untainted by Witness Lee and the Leeites. The lessons on Bible stories and character seem pretty run-of-the-mill Christian. Or is my assessment wrong?

My mother is playing a message on the children's service, and one of the points emphasized was to withhold premature knowledge, lest the children become bored. Is this point legitimate? Is teaching elementary school children the final points of the faith counterproductive? Or is this just another cog in the LC scam machine to keep them roped in?
Unsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
Freedom

Default Re: The Children's Service

I think the LC does has a set of lessons for childrens meetings. I don't know what all the lessons cover. My recollection of being in childrens meetings was just hearing Bible stories, nothing really LC-specific.

When I was in Jr. High, that is when they started interjecting more LC teachings. Some of the churches were experimenting with a curriculum called Journey Through the Bible. I remember they used that for our lessons.

I'm not sure what the actual LC view is regarding the role of the childrens service, but at least when I was growing up, it wasn't taken all that seriously, because most church kids ended up leaving. It seemed that it was prefered to focus on the more 'fruitful' works like the college work.
Isaiah 43:10 “You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:13 AM   #3
OBW

"Premature knowledge" is a difficult subject. I do not recall hearing it used in the context of the children's meetings, but it would seem to have more applicability there, if at all, relative to anywhere else. Where I mainly heard it was in terms of learning some requirement of the believer that we were unable to simply do, therefore it was labeled premature knowledge and you should not worry about it until your inner-life level of fuel (not the exact term used) was sufficient for the task.

Sort of a version of "wait for the dispensing" that I "fondly" recall as I read scripture today and compare it to what I learned in the LRC. Seems that the LRC comes up short too many times in too many ways.

I might agree that not teaching children to simply behave has at least a little merit, but at the same time, I don't think that conscience is simply something built-in, but also learned. If there is nothing beyond what simply falls on them to do correctly, where is there the opportunity for them to recognize and deal with conscience? I believe there should be something above and beyond what they would naturally do correctly. 8-year-olds surely do not need to worry about the meaning of adultery. But they should understand fidelity (in simpler terms) in relationships.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:32 PM   #4
Evangelical

The role of the children's service is also to provide child minding. The activities also include sport and games so the children are not bored. Agree with the poster who said the focus is put on the older young ones at the university age level.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote