Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Orthodoxy - Christian Teaching

Old 07-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #1
Sons to Glory!

Default Hebrews - Awesome & Encouraging Book! ("warnings" are not the main focus)

I've heard it said, and my thoughts previously weren't too far off, that Hebrews is book of warnings. But we've been going through the book for a few months now, and we're seeing what an uplifting vision of Christ is conveyed by the author! I thought to just start this thread out, and see if anyone wanted to dialogue about Hebrews.

If I were to summarize what I think the book is about, I would describe it thusly, "Christ is our most capable High Priest forever Who has brought in a vastly superior New Covenant, and it also conveys the downside if we shrink back from this vision in unbelief."

Anyone care to discuss Hebrews?
Old 07-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: Hebrews - Awesome & Encouraging Book! ("warnings" are not the main focu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons to Glory! View Post
Anyone care to discuss Hebrews?
Yes, very interested in our covenant
Old 07-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #3
Sons to Glory!

Default Re: Hebrews - Awesome & Encouraging Book! ("warnings" are not the main focu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
Yes, very interested in our covenant
So where should we start?
Old 07-21-2019, 11:03 PM   #4
byHismercy

I love the book of Hebrews. Every unbeliever should read Hebrews. Every believer should read it prayerfully. I guess that is every human being...

My thing that I took from Hebrews was the exhortation for us to enter into the rest, that being our rest, Christ. Not to miss entering into this rest. He is the rest. He is our goal. And how wonderful, He is our rest. I know. I'm a tired mommy. I need a lot of rest. :-)
byHismercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:09 AM   #5
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Start with the author? Who wrote the book of Hebrews?

Nell
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:20 AM   #6
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post

Nell
Officially the Spirit of God.

But the debate has gone on for centuries. Every NT figure has been dismissed for differen reasons.

My conclusion is that Paul wrote the rough draft while imprisoned by Felix? After his arrest in Jerusalem, and before he was sent to Rome. Paul had a couple years under house arrest, and had the liberty to see friends. Luke then wrote the final draft.

This conclusion answers all the questions concerning the authorship of Hebrews.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #7
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post

Nell
Every book begins with the author:

1 God, having of old time spoken unto the fathers in the prophets by divers portions and in divers manners, 2 hath at the end of these days spoken unto us in his Son,

This book is God speaking unto us in His Son.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
Sons to Glory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
Every book begins with the author:

1 God, having of old time spoken unto the fathers in the prophets by divers portions and in divers manners, 2 hath at the end of these days spoken unto us in his Son,

This book is God speaking unto us in His Son.
I like that! Yes, I have had that sense too - God is the author . . .
Old 07-22-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
Sons to Glory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by byHismercy View Post
I love the book of Hebrews. Every unbeliever should read Hebrews. Every believer should read it prayerfully. I guess that is every human being...

My thing that I took from Hebrews was the exhortation for us to enter into the rest, that being our rest, Christ. Not to miss entering into this rest. He is the rest. He is our goal. And how wonderful, He is our rest. I know. I'm a tired mommy. I need a lot of rest. :-)
Yes YES YES! This is my big takeaway too!!! He has done it all and given it all to us, and we are simply to be diligent to enter that rest, which He's prepared for us!

The picture of the Children of Israel is so clear - He gave them the land. He said He was with them and would fight for them against the inhabitants. But many did not believe, so they didn't enter the rest that He had prepared for them. God even said that He wouldn't drive out the current heathen inhabitants all at once, because wild beast would then occupy the land. He said it would be little by little, but just move forward and occupy it, and He would always be there for them. (Exodus 23:29 & Duet 7:22)

>>>Real rest is not being a couch potato, but knowing that He has it all handled!<<<
Old 07-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #10
countmeworthy

I too love the book of Hebrews. It has a special place in my heart because shortly after getting saved and entered the LC church life, we began studying the book of Hebrews. It was so foreign to me I prayed and asked the Lord to give me understanding. He revealed to me what I needed to know and understand at the time thus giving me a great love for the book.

What I took away from it at that time was and is very much inscribed in my soul is Hebrews 10:15-17
the Holy Spirit also testifies to us; for after saying,

“This is the covenant that I will make with them
After those days, says the Lord:
I will put My laws upon their heart,
And on their mind I will write them,”

He then says,

“And their sins and their lawless deeds
I will remember no more.”

I often times substitute the word law(s) for the word WORD as in the WORD of GOD. The LORD puts His Word in our hearts and writes/inscribes HIM, the Word, the Law in our minds. The more I / we connect and commune with Christ Jesus the more He transforms and renews our mind.

How comforting it is to know that He remembers NO MORE our sins and lawless deeds.
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #11
countmeworthy

Because I have been studying the meaning of dispensations, in this past year or 2, I have realized or noticed the book is addressed to THE HEBREWS..The converted Hebrews..not necessarily to the gentile church. The converted gentiles knew nothing about animal sacrifices, burnt offerings etc... However us gentiles CERTAINLY HAVE profited from this rich wonderful book.

Still it seems the converted Hebrews went from following the law of Moses to following the Holy Spirit which is not an easy feat!!

They had to be reminded and explained how the BLOOD sacrifice of Jesus is the only sacrifice that wipes away all sin.

He reminds them that it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. (Hebrews 10:4)

It had to be really hard for the converted Hebrews to understand the Power of the Cleansing Blood of the TRUE LAMB of God.

I suspect they were tempted to return to the blood sacrifices of bulls and goats and burnt offerings etc because HE also cautions them not to sin willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth. (vs 26) If they returned to blood sacrifices of the law, they would be making a mockery of the shed Blood of Jesus. I think that is what it means to 'sin willfully'. Again, the gentile church knows nothing about circumcision, the law of Moses, the Levitical priesthood etc.

God reminds them they are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the preserving of the soul.

Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant.

Jesus, because He continues forever, holds His priesthood permanently. 25 He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them. (Hebrews 7: 22-24)

So while Hebrews is definitely speaking to us gentiles it is also speaking to the converted Hebrews. And God has a reason He is addressing this book TO THE HEBREWS not to the church in Judah or the church in_____.
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #12
Sons to Glory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by countmeworthy View Post

Still it seems the converted Hebrews went from following the law of Moses to following the Holy Spirit which is not an easy feat!!

They had to be reminded and explained how the BLOOD sacrifice of Jesus is the only sacrifice that wipes away all sin.

He reminds them that it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. (Hebrews 10:4)

It had to be really hard for the converted Hebrews to understand the Power of the Cleansing Blood of the TRUE LAMB of God.

I suspect they were tempted to return to the blood sacrifices of bulls and goats and burnt offerings etc because HE also cautions them not to sin willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth. (vs 26) If they returned to blood sacrifices of the law, they would be making a mockery of the shed Blood of Jesus. I think that is what it means to 'sin willfully'. Again, the gentile church knows nothing about circumcision, the law of Moses, the Levitical priesthood etc.
Yes, and it's hard to get my mind wrapped around the idea that the Jews practiced this for 1500 years -- That really is a LONG time!! So their whole culture, practice, habits - you name it - was totally permeated (BIG understatement) with these sacrifices!
Old 07-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #13
ZNPaaneah

So what did God speak to us in the Son? This is the covenant we have in Christ.

1. whom he appointed heir of all things — this is our covenant in Christ. In Christ we inherit all things.
2. through whom also he made the worlds;
3. who being the effulgence of his glory, and the very image of his substance, and
4. upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had made purification of sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
5. having become by so much better than the angels, as he hath inherited a more excellent name than they.
a*For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son
b*and again, I will be to him a Father, And he shall be to me a Son?
c*but of the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever;
And the sceptre of uprightness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
d Therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee
With the oil of gladness above thy fellows.
e Thou, Lord, in the beginning didst lay the foundation of the earth,
And the heavens are the works of thy hands:
f *But of which of the angels hath he said at any time, Sit thou on my right hand, Till I make thine enemies the footstool of thy feet?
g *Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to do service for the sake of them that shall inherit salvation?
Old 07-23-2019, 06:18 AM   #14
ZNPaaneah

So the covenant God made with Abraham vs Hebrews

1. Unto a land that I will show thee — speaking to us in the Son is showing us this land. This land is the effulgence of His glory and the express image of His substance.

2. And I will make of thee a great nation — in the Son we see the one “through whom He made the worlds”

3. And I will bless thee — we see the one who upholds all things by the word of His power making purification of sins.

4. And make thy name great — we see one who has inherited a more excellent name than the angels.

5. Be thou a blessing — He has been anointed with the oil of gladness, the same one that laid the foundation of the earth and the heavens are the works of His hands — this one is now a blessing to us.

6. I will bless those that bless thee and curse those that curse thee — Sit at my right hand till I make His enemies a footstool for his feet

7. All nations will be blessed by thee — are they not all ministering spirits sent forth for the sake of them that will inherit salvation
Old 07-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #15
Sons to Glory!

Also part of the New Covenant, purchased by the perfect sacrifice of Christ:
  • We have the uttermost boldness to come to God through a new and living way, purchased by His blood
  • "I will remember their sins no more"
  • "I will put My laws in their minds and write them on their hearts" (the "much more" of Romans 5)
  • Christ is our perfect & supremely capable High Priest forever - He loves us!
  • We are made kings & priests to God
  • We find rest in Him (there remains a rest)