Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Orthodoxy - Christian Teaching

Old 12-28-2017, 05:21 AM   #1
LifeGoesOn

Default Eternity - what will it be like?

I wanted to start this thread after reading a discussion in the Christmas thread about the mansions and/or abodes that are being prepared for us in heaven.

John 14:2 (KJV)

2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

I wonder if the “heaven” or “My Father’s House” referred to in this verse is actually paradise (part of Hades) and not the New Jerusalem, on the new earth.

Growing up in the LC, I never heard much about what eternity would be like, aside from the verses in Revelation that describe the New Jerusalem. This painted a picture in my mind of an architect’s blueprints and maybe a hotel quality painting of some a scenic landscape. Really vague and boring to be honest. There was also they thought that the atmosphere or general ambience in eternity would be that of an LSM winter training. Imagine that, dull hotel conference room decor with a giant all seeing blue chalkboard on the horizon...

Oh, and the fear of being “tested”. LOL.

However, after I left the LC I have started to rethink this, along with the rest of God’s word and look at it with new eyes. I ask God to reveal Himself to me in his word and for the Holy Spirit to guide me as I read it. I am excited to see what God has in store for us in eternity.

John Eldredge wrote a book called “All Things New”? I have not read it, but I have watched several videos where he discusses it and it was very encouraging. I’ve linked to the video discussions below and recommend watching them.

What do you guys think eternity will be like? ��

Part 1: https://youtu.be/rnHiYOYZeJ8

Part 2: https://youtu.be/69v-7ihB5uU

Part 3: https://youtu.be/69v-7ihB5uU

Part 4: https://youtu.be/jXoVa7A5FTM

Part 5 https://youtu.be/erWMwDcoRJM

Part 6: https://youtu.be/TLZF3KoYhqI
John‬ 8:31-32‬
LifeGoesOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Evangelical

Default Re: Eternity - what will it be like?

The new earth will need to be seen to.
We wont be idle. We'll be put to work in the new earth. Some will be ruling over 10 cities. Others 1 city. It will be non stop service.

We'll also be learning about God for eternity.

But mainly we'll be eating drinking and worshipping.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:10 AM   #3
Bradley

Well the universe we live in is exposed to sin and entropy - food goes off, you can get hurt, volcanoes erupt etc. My understanding about eternity future is that God will change the laws of physics to be more enjoyable, so we'll basically be living in a freakin' awesome 3D cartoon. I had a dream once about it, Jesus was showing me this awesome clicky thing he could do with His fingers, it was great. You wouldn't be able to do that with your fingers with a mortal body of flesh.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
countmeworthy

We are not going to have the earthly bible... and certainly we are not going to have LSM, 'blended brothers', WL ministry or any other man made ministry. There will not be Catholic, Baptists, Methodists, Pentecostals, WOF, LCs etc... There will be no divisions or schisms.

We are not going to be 'in church services'. Our worship will real but different than how we worship the LORD now. Right now, we still have the sin nature in us. When we worship, praise now, the devil flees. Our minds are being renewed right now that one day we will manifest the MIND of Christ in us. Our Worship will be so pure and spotless and FULL OF GLORY TO OUR GOD, OUR CREATOR. We WILL have a Husband, Jesus.

God is making all things new. He remembers our sins no more and neither will we remember our sins like we do now. There will be no more pain or hurt or death. We will not remember who we hurt or who hurt us.

We will have Glorified bodies and will be able to fly, to walk through walls, to do things we cannot do in these mortal bodies.

Everything we will be able to do and experience and see has not yet been revealed to us as it would be overwhelming to us. There are many people who have had visions of what heaven is like. If Paul went to the third heaven in a vision, God has permitted others to visit heaven and I believe their testimonies. I also believe some have merely dreamed and not really visited heaven. So we ask for discernment when someone shares their vision or dream.

There will be animals and animals that may not look like the animals we have here on earth. Consider the 4 living creatures surrounding the throne.

in the center and around the throne, four living creatures full of eyes in front and behind. The first creature was like a lion, and the second creature like a calf, and the third creature had a face like that of a man, and the fourth creature was like a flying eagle.

Consider how Elijah was raptured:
As they were going along and talking, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire and horses of fire which separated the two of them. And Elijah went up by a whirlwind to heaven. 12 Elisha saw it and cried out, “My father, my father, the chariots of Israel and its horsemen!” And he saw Elijah no more.

There is so much to say on the topic but most of you guys are still thinking inside the box. Most of you are all still are under the influence of religious spirits. Ask the HOLY SPIRIT TO REVEAL something of Eternity to you.

Blessings.
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
Bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by countmeworthy View Post
There is so much to say on the topic but most of you guys are still thinking inside the box. Most of you are all still are under the influence of religious spirits.
Speak for yourself. How could you possibly know that you are less religious and less wrong than we are? By saying that you insult the saints and nullify their fellowship. Don't do that.

Also, go easy on the caps lock. No need to shout.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #6
countmeworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
Speak for yourself. How could you possibly know that you are less religious and less wrong than we are? By saying that you insult the saints and nullify their fellowship. Don't do that.

Also, go easy on the caps lock. No need to shout.
Sorry for the insults... I was including myself too but did not include myself. I am a work in progress. Religion sucks. Religion pushes people away from God. If it were not so, there would not be so many atheists coming out of the LSM and other 'christian' institutions. Religion has hardened the hearts of people. There are too many pharisees in the organized man made 'church'.

I've got religion in me too but with God's help, via His Holy Spirit and the Lord Jesus, I have been moving away from religion. It's a journey.. a process. I pray we all move away from religion.

Also. I'm not shouting... only trying to emphasize some points. sorry it comes across as shouting.

Peace be between us.
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:46 PM   #7
Boxjobox
Moderated Member

I often ask Christians what and where is heaven- the answers range all over the place. Seems to me that in the OT, a lot of the concept of heaven was at about cloud level-atmospheric so to speak. Heaven is spoken of so much, but we Christians have no real grasp. In NT, Jesus was taken up and a cloud received him. God spoke and they thought it was thunder. Then, of course there is the third heavens, and the heaven of heaven.
I suspect that after airplanes, the concept evolved more to "out there" somewhere. After space travel, it probably got further removed from the atmosphere concept, and who knows where Jesus ended up. Some, spiritual types say it is a realm.
Boxjobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:04 PM   #8
Evangelical

If we can fly through walls then why do we need them?. There will be no need for walls doors locks or buildings.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:17 AM   #9
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Disclaimer: I don't know what eternity will be like. The following is my theory based on this line from an old hymn: "When we see him as he is, we'll praise him as we ought."

When I was a kid growing up in the Baptist church, I would hear what the preachers taught about "heaven" mostly. I understood that we would be there forever and honestly, it sounded boring to me. I wanted to DO SOMETHING. What were we going to DO? Picture a fidgety kid buzzing around on her bike looking for some kid-action.

I carried this thought into growing into my Christian life. One day, I came up with this theory which sounds pretty good to me. Eternity will be a replay of time. I will get to sit in a heavenly theater with Jesus, with some heavenly popcorn, and Jesus will show me my life as it existed in "time:" He will show me, us, how he was working in us to make his children, who he intended us to be.

So with that, in eternity past, Father God decided that he needed "Nell". He decided who my parents would be, when I would "burst onto the scene" and where I would live. He decided that on a day certain, I would be in the Bible School program with all the "Tiny Tot" class and we would sing this song:

"Into my heart. Into my heart.
Come into my heart Lord Jesus.
Come in today. Come in to stay.
Come into my heart Lord Jesus."

That was the day he would answer my tiny little prayer and he would come to live inside Nell forever. I remember a few little tears but I didn't know why until many years later.

So I will get to see it happen. Not "instant replay" but surely "heavenly replay." My sweet parents might be sitting with us too.

Jesus and I are sitting together and he says to me: Remember this...when you got really mad at me and were pretty unhappy about ... Then, of course, whatever I was unhappy about became part of me. Part of who I am as I learned to trust him. And from another old hymn I was beginning to learn: Jesus doeth all things well.

Since we have plenty of time, Jesus and I will sit together watching "The Nell Story". I will begin to "see Him as He is" and only then I will be able to "praise Him as I ought." Others will come and go in my story, as they did in "time." I will come and go in the story of others, like the weaving of a fine tapestry. I have a ton of questions and he will shush me, again, to "Wait! That's coming up soon." Questions that remain will be answered, and some questions may have just disappeared.

The big jar containing all my tears he counted will be there, having been turned from sorrow into glory at his presence, because in eternity, there will be no more tears. As story after story is displayed in 3000x-HD (Heavenly Definition) in the audience you can hear over and over. "Ok, Lord. I get it now. Thank you."

Everyone will be there, patiently watching my story with us as we all see how I fit into his Plan. When it's time for your story, no one leaves the heavenly theater--except maybe to go for more popcorn. This heavenly, cinematic marvel, could go on forever...seeing him as he is.

In another hymn, I think the author might agree with me, as he described an extraordinary heavenly visual:

Could we with ink the ocean fill
And were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill
And every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above
Would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole
Though stretched from sky to sky

O love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forevermore endure
The saints' and angels' song

So this author is right, there is not enough parchment, not enough scribes, not enough ink--the scroll is too small. It will take eternity to contain the whole as we sit in the Heavenly Theater stretched from sky to sky.

Anyway, I hope this is what eternity will be like. I'm sure it will be better, but inquiring minds want to know!

Nell

Last edited by Nell; 01-01-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:47 AM   #10
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” (Revelation 21:1-5)

What a foretaste of deliverance
how unwavering our hope
Christ in power resurrected
as we will be when he comes

From "Come Behold the wondrous mystery" by Matt Papa et al

Frankly, I was not too interested in participating in this thread. I have enough on my plate with the here and now without having to worry about eternity. But it seems that God is very interested in eternity, at least if we are to take seriously how much time He spend on eternity in the Bible.

"I saw a new heaven and a new earth". Wait a minute...why is there going to be a new heaven? Even a simpleton like me can see the obvious need for a new earth, but what's up with this new heaven? I thought heaven was a pure and holy place - where God's presence and kingdom reign. "Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool" (Isaiah 66:1) Why does heaven need to be made new?

As usual, Nell's thoughtful and fun post got me thinking and considering something with a new and fresh perspective. (Thanks again sis, you're the best) It's very easy to see that earth is missing so many things. It also is filled with a lot of things we don't need or want - sin, death, sickness and disease, hate, violence, and other negative things. But it turns out that heaven is missing something as well - US! Us and our story - the good the bad and the ugly. To be sure, God will have to deal with the bad and the ugly. We will have to answer for this bad and ugly, and we will suffer a certain amount of loss. Clearly some of us will suffer a greater loss, and some will receive a greater reward. (See the parable of the talents for how this is going to go down) In any event, at the dawn of the new heaven and the new earth, God will quickly deal with and dispatch of all negative things - including even sin and death.

This is where Nee and Lee's teaching regarding "taking the cross", "crossing out the self" and "have no opinions" steered us terribly wrong. In fact, these teachings and practices lead us away from God's purpose for our lives, and even away from the eternal purpose and blessings of his Kingdom. God did not create heartless, mindless, opinionless robots, and he has no intention of spending eternity with heartless, mindless, opinionless robots. He wants worshipers! He wants people who "love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might." God wants our story. God needs our story.
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #11
Evangelical

I'm surprised no one yet has given a biblical perspective in regards to what we will actually be doing practically. Sure, there's no more tears or pain which is wonderful, and seeing family and friends, but if our days are filled watching big screen TV and playing monopoly in one room of a big gold mansion, I don't find that necessarily attractive. Endless worship and learning of God is also likely, but since God has angels to give Him endless worship I do not think that is all we will be doing.

Here's a more biblical point of view -

Isaiah 65:1 They will build houses and dwell in them; they will plant vineyards and eat their fruit.

Isaiah 65:2 ..my chosen ones will long enjoy the work of their hands.

Mostly from day to day people will be building and farming. Those who are ruling/serving over 5 or 10 cities have more responsibility as servant rulers.

Ruling, farming, building, even creating. These are what humans were created to do (see Genesis), this is what we do now, and this is what God intends for I believe for eternity.

Had Adam and Eve not sinned, this sort of existence might have already played out by now on this Earth.

Tags
eternal life, eternity, heaven