Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Apologetic discussions

Apologetic discussions Apologetic Discussions Regarding the Teachings of Watchman Nee and Witness Lee

Old 10-24-2016, 08:50 AM   #1
DistantStar

Question What is the Local Church view on baptism?

What is the Local Church view on baptism in terms of it's necessity for salvation and timing (infant or adult baptism)?

Only two times in my time with Christians on Campus were there any talk of baptism. The first was when a dear friend of mine talked about how she went to be baptised with them. The other was when they asked me whether or not I would want to be baptised. They never put any pressure on me for this.

As a child we went to the NG Church which espouses infant baptism. I was baptised there when I was 7 years old because I wanted to be (I remember urging my mother to have me baptised). Though only around 16 did I truly give my heart to the Lord. I'm unsure if this is regarded as infant baptism or not. I am myself not entirely convinced of either infant or adult baptism, but at the moment I'm mostly convinced of the latter.

Regardless of the LC view I do not think this something to be grossly divided over. I just want to know what their view on it is.

Edit: By the way, what is the correct forum for general questions on the LC like this one?

Proverbs 14:12
DistantStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:55 AM   #2
Evangelical

Default Re: What is the Local Church view on baptism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantStar View Post
What is the Local Church view on baptism in terms of it's necessity for salvation and timing (infant or adult baptism)?

Only two times in my time with Christians on Campus were there any talk of baptism. The first was when a dear friend of mine talked about how she went to be baptised with them. The other was when they asked me whether or not I would want to be baptised. They never put any pressure on me for this.

As a child we went to the NG Church which espouses infant baptism. I was baptised there when I was 7 years old because I wanted to be (I remember urging my mother to have me baptised). Though only around 16 did I truly give my heart to the Lord. I'm unsure if this is regarded as infant baptism or not. I am myself not entirely convinced of either infant or adult baptism, but at the moment I'm mostly convinced of the latter.

Regardless of the LC view I do not think this something to be grossly divided over. I just want to know what their view on it is.

Edit: By the way, what is the correct forum for general questions on the LC like this one?
See "SALVATION NOT BEING THROUGH BAPTISM" by Witness Lee.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:56 AM   #3
DistantStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
See "SALVATION NOT BEING THROUGH BAPTISM" by Witness Lee.
I read it and I don't understand their conclusion. Is is necessary for salvation or not?

Proverbs 14:12
DistantStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:17 AM   #4
Evangelical

Quote:
I read it and I don't understand their conclusion. Is is necessary for salvation or not?
I believe yes it is necessary and children can be baptized if they believe but not infants (they cannot believe or understand).
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
TLFisher

Quote:

Local Church are Baptists without being doctrinal about it. Baptism is by submersion. Never saw anyone baptized by sprinkling. Always submersion.
As for children, I can't recall witnessing any children being baptized younger than 12 or 13. Quite possible children younger than that have been baptized, but I haven't seen it.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #6
Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Local Church are Baptists without being doctrinal about it. Baptism is by submersion. Never saw anyone baptized by sprinkling. Always submersion.
As for children, I can't recall witnessing any children being baptized younger than 12 or 13. Quite possible children younger than that have been baptized, but I haven't seen it.
Along with most of my peers, I was baptized in 6th grade after we had a conference. That seemed to be standard practice in So Cal, where the young people in 6th grade would all be baptized at the same time. It does beg the question as to how much it was initiative-based rather than happening because of pressure. When I was in college, we had semi-annual conferences where there would be baptisms during the conference, and everyone who had been saved on the campus during the quarter was encouraged to be baptized. Sometimes there would be a long line for baptisms and it would go on for 30-45 minutes. Again, it makes you wonder if group pressure was involved or not.

The only oddity I've seen related to the practice of baptism in the LC is that of members being baptized more than once. I saw one person get baptized on three separate occasions. I once saw an elder get re-baptized at the spur of the moment with no explanation given.
Isaiah 43:10 “You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:06 PM   #7
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Along with most of my peers, I was baptized in 6th grade after we had a conference. That seemed to be standard practice in So Cal, where the young people in 6th grade would all be baptized at the same time. It does beg the question as to how much it was initiative-based rather than happening because of pressure. When I was in college, we had semi-annual conferences where there would be baptisms during the conference, and everyone who had been saved on the campus during the quarter was encouraged to be baptized. Sometimes there would be a long line for baptisms and it would go on for 30-45 minutes. Again, it makes you wonder if group pressure was involved or not.

The only oddity I've seen related to the practice of baptism in the LC is that of members being baptized more than once. I saw one person get baptized on three separate occasions. I once saw an elder get re-baptized at the spur of the moment with no explanation given.
During the 1987 HS conference in Irving, which followed a trip for many of them to Taipei, there was intimidating pressure by the "trainers" to be baptized (often, again.) Then they turned the pressure on the elders using the YP to challenge them openly. Some succumbed, others like Titus Chu, refused to budge.

What a fiasco! And they call that the economical spirit or some such.