Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Extras! Extras! Read All About It!

Extras! Extras! Read All About It! Everything else that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else

Old 06-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
OBW

Default It's Part of God's Plan — Really?

Since this is only tangentially related to the LRC, it definitely falls under the "doesn't seem to fit anywhere else" category. SO here goes . . . .

A popular phrase heard in much of Christianity — well at least evangelical/fundamental Christianity — is that everything is a part of the plan for your life. Now there is some misdirection in the notion at times because on one hand it is often given at a phrase to entice you to get involved with some ministry (therefore if you don't you are missing God's plan for your life). But the other use is more of an uber-Calvinist kind of statement. It indicates that everything is pre-ordained and that it is for your good that it happens as it does.

And it is one of the most callous things said to people at times. Like to the mother who is grieving the loss of her daughter who was raped and murdered. Or the man who just learned that he has inoperable cancer and only 6 weeks to live. "So that is the plan for my life?" Or "this is God's plan for my daughter?"

I honestly think that there is an error in understanding of what God knows will happen (if we understand his omniscience outside of time correctly) as being that God has ordained that it is what will be. Similarly, that God works good in all things is not the same thing as saying all things are good or that God set them in motion to happen, but rather that he has taken what happens and used it.

Otherwise, there is no such thing a free will and Adam and Eve could not help but fail in the garden because it was ordained. That does not mean that God does not actually step in and do things that would not otherwise naturally happen. But I believe that do declare that the way your life will play out was planned is not supported by scripture. That God knows it will happen a certain way is different from Him directing that it does happen that way. Yet he has the authority and power to direct where he chooses.

And if he is simply choosing and orchestrating that everything plays out the way it is, then free will is an errant teaching. And preaching the gospel is just something we do because it was ordained that we would or would not do it. And entreating people to go preach the gospel, or come down the aisle and be saved is just a play in which we are playing a pre-written part. We have no will in it. The fact that we think we have a will is just what was given to us to do as was ordained.

Now, before you suggest that I am trying to chuck it all and don't believe, be assured that I believe. I believe in a God that is capable of doing all of that. But that was confident that giving man free will — and in the face of an onslaught of temptations to do wrong — would not result in every man simply turning away. That some would come to realize their true condition and seek the maker. That many would chose righteousness over unrighteousness (and not just because it is a neat thing to do).

But when you get hit by a car running a red light and your car is totaled, don't have some knee-jerk reaction that says "I wonder why God planned that for me." Most of us don't think it that way, but when we start layering on "God's plan for my life" as you recuperate from the broken bones, are we talking about a different God than the one who made the universe and sent his Son to die for our sins?

Talk amongst yourselves. I'm not sure I have it figured out. I still like "God's plan for my life" a lot of the time.

At least until it includes heartache or pain.

And where is that tangential pink to the LRC? How often do we insist that it was good, and God's plan that we were part of a cult like the LRC? Not saying that nothing good happened to us there. But is being damaged by a cult ever something positive that God planned?

I don't think so.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
bearbear

Default Re: It's Part of God's Plan — Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
But when you get hit by a car running a red light and your car is totaled, don't have some knee-jerk reaction that says "I wonder why God planned that for me." Most of us don't think it that way, but when we start layering on "God's plan for my life" as you recuperate from the broken bones, are we talking about a different God than the one who made the universe and sent his Son to die for our sins?
I agree God doesn't delight when evil falls upon us, but allows bad things to happen because he is able to turn the tables around in the long haul.

A better way of asking "I wonder why God planned that for me" could be "I know God allowed that to happen and that sucked, but I'm going to continue to trust that He has something worked out for me".

Despite the Messiah's innocence, God was willing to allow Jesus to experience a lot of suffering even to death. It all worked out in the end however. This isn't unlike how God worked throughout the bible. Many of the prophets lived terrible lives, but I'm sure everything worked out for them after they went to be with the Lord.

Jesus also talks a lot about this in the sermon on the mount. Those who are poor will be blessed, those who mourn will be comforted, those who hunger will be satisfied etc. On the flip side he says that it's easier for a camel to enter the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. He also taught those who are considered to be the first in the world will be the last, and the last first. Lazarus lived a horrible life but he was rewarded with a good one in eternity after it was revealed he went to Abraham's bosom in paradise, the rich man who disregarded the poor however suffered a horrible fate.

Quote:
Talk amongst yourselves. I'm not sure I have it figured out. I still like "God's plan for my life" a lot of the time.

At least until it includes heartache or pain.

And where is that tangential pink to the LRC? How often do we insist that it was good, and God's plan that we were part of a cult like the LRC? Not saying that nothing good happened to us there. But is being damaged by a cult ever something positive that God planned?

I don't think so.
My experience is different from everyone here because I was a 3rd generation church kid, but after leaving the LCs I realized I couldn't blame God for being deceived by the erroneous teachings of the LRC for so long. All the warnings of what to watch out for were there in the bible but I never had eyes to see. I think we're all personally responsible for what we choose to believe. The LRC system is dangerous because it highly motivates you to go with the flow and believe what everyone else does without checking with the Lord and what the bible states plainly. I think for this reason Jesus told us to fear God and not fear men. Many Jews during Jesus' time believed in him but didn't speak out because they didn't want to be thrown out of the synagogues (John 14:42) It seems like the same thing is happening with the LRC. There are some big elephants in the room many ignore because they fear men.

Isn't it God's mercy that he opened our eyes to leave the LRC? We were staying there out of our own free will but he was merciful to deliver us.

"You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy," - Psalm 30:11
Old 06-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbear View Post
Jesus also talks a lot about this in the sermon on the mount. Those who are poor will be blessed, those who mourn will be comforted, those who hunger will be satisfied etc.
And in Luk 6:21 Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
Col.3:16

This is Col. correction it is John 12:42 not 14:42.
Col.3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote