Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Various Living Stream Ministry Publications

Old 02-04-2018, 05:17 AM   #1
micah6v8

Default Morning Revival

These days, the Morning Revival books' covers state both Witness Lee and Watchman Nee's names (as authors).

Previously, it was always only Witness Lee's name.

Anyone knows why there is a change?
micah6v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #2
Drake

Default Re: Morning Revival

Depends on the content.

Which ones are you referring too?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah6v8 View Post
These days, the Morning Revival books' covers state both Witness Lee and Watchman Nee's names (as authors).

Previously, it was always only Witness Lee's name.

Anyone knows why there is a change?
I went on Amazon, and did the "Look inside" option for the Kindle versions of the HWMR booklets, one with both of their names, and one with only Lee's name. Both versions had a statement in the preface about it being compiled from the ministries of WN and WL.

As far as I am aware, the HWMR booklets have always included Nee's ministry here and there. So I would suppose that by including both names, they are intending to keep people from thinking that it is leaning so heavily on just Lee (which it is).

At any rate, I always felt uncomfortable that they would so readily ascribe Lee's name to current publications that they are producing, even years after his death. I suppose people in the LC understand that these 'new' publications are just compilations, but because they are compilations, those who produce them can change the context, select only specific passages, and do all kinds of things.
Isaiah 43:10 “You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:28 AM   #4
micah6v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

Depends on the content.

Which ones are you referring too?
Hi Drake

I was referring to HWMR titled "The Genuine Church Life" (based on 2017 Thanksgiving Weekend Conference) and "The Recovery of the Church" (based on ITERO Oct 2017) which both state both WN and WL's names on the covers.

As someone who has been in the Local Church for a fair bit, I am quite sure that in the past decade, WN's name was not stated on the covers of HWMR, even if extracts from his books were used as content inside the HWMR.
micah6v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:56 AM   #5
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

It does seem interesting that a number of these HWMR booklets have Nee's name on them as well as Lee's.
-
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #6
Steel
Moderated Member

Hi brothers and sisters in Christ... Not sure if this in my first post on the website or not, but I see that I joined back in 2015 and I know that from time to time I have been thinking about participating, but haven't as I didn't have a clear sense to do so. But of late I have, maybe for the last few months.

My wife and I meet with the local church here in Austin, TX, and have been doing so since around mid-2014. Prior to this we had been meeting with the local church in Miami, FL, starting around mid-2003 until around the end of 2006.

Between the end of 2006 and 2014 we were not meeting with any fellowship. This was a decision on our part based on an experience that we had with brother in the local church in Miami, which caused us to withdraw from attending meetings. And prior to meeting with the local church in Miami we had already stopped meeting with any Christian fellowships in our area as we had become absolutely convinced that what we were seeing taking place in these fellowships was not aligned with what we had been coming to understand regarding what scripture says about the fellowship of the church.

I may give more background to the above as the Lord leads, but since this is either my first post, or my first post in a few years, I just wanted folks to have a little a sense of where I'm coming from, and presently at.

Regarding the Morning Revival and the use of both Witness Lee's, Watchman Nee's names...

Who cares?

As a old pastor of a small non-denominational fellowship that my wife and I attended for a few years often said... "Eat the hay and leave the sticks."

What profit is there in debating the use of names on the cover of books?

Shouldn't it be as simple as turning to the Lord and just asking Him... "Lord, do you want me to read this, or do you want me to not read it?"

I'm reminded of this OT scripture...

Numbers 22:21-39... "And Balaam rose up in the morning and saddled his donkey and went with the rulers of Moab. . . . And God's anger was kindled because he was going, and the Angel of Jehovah took His stand in the way as an adversary against him. Now he was riding on his donkey, and his two servants were with him. . . . And when the donkey saw the Angel of Jehovah standing in the way with His drawn sword in His hand, the donkey turned aside out of the way and went into the field. And Balaam struck the donkey to turn her back into the way. . . . Then the Angel of Jehovah stood in a narrow path between the vineyards, with a wall on this side and a wall on that side. . . . And when the donkey saw the Angel of Jehovah, she pressed herself against the wall and crushed Balaam's foot against the wall. So he struck her again. . . . And the Angel of Jehovah went further and stood in a narrow place, where there was no way to turn either to the right or to the left. . . . And when the donkey saw the Angel of Jehovah, she lay down under Balaam. Then Balaam's anger was kindled, and he struck the donkey with his staff. . . . And Jehovah opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times? . . . And Balaam said to the donkey, Because you have mocked me! If I had a sword in my hand, I would have killed you by now. . . . And the donkey said to Balaam, Am I not your donkey on which you have ridden all your life to this day? Have I ever been accustomed to do so to you? And he said, No. . . . Then Jehovah opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the Angel of Jehovah standing in the way with His drawn sword in His hand, and he bowed his head and fell on his face. . . . And the Angel of Jehovah said to him, Why have you struck your donkey these three times? I am here, having come out as an adversary, because your way was unrestrained before Me. . . . And the donkey saw Me and turned aside before Me these three times. If she had not turned aside from Me, I would surely have killed you just now and let her live."

"...I would surely have killed you just now and let her live."

Rather than what's written on the cover, how about a discussion about what's in-between the covers.
Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel View Post
Rather than what's written on the cover, how about a discussion about what's in-between the covers.

Thanks for popping in Steel. You're absolutely right!

Quote:
Shouldn't it be as simply as turning to the Lord and just asking Him... "Lord, do you want me to read this, or do you want to not to read it?"
This is an even better point! Glad you bring it up.

I have a question for you. Is there really a choice in the matter for you brothers and sisters in the Church in Austin? I mean, if you want to have fellowship and/or "prophesy" in the meeting isn't one expected to be using materials from "the ministry"? Will sharing from the ministry of non Local Church persons/ministries be acceptable? I am not asking this to give you a hard time or make you feel uncomfortable....I am genuinely interested in your take on this.

Thanks again for stopping by and look forward to your postings!

-
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #8
Steel
Moderated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
I have a question for you. Is there really a choice in the matter for you brothers and sisters in the Church in Austin? I mean, if you want to have fellowship and/or "prophesy" in the meeting isn't one expected to be using materials from "the ministry"?[/COLOR]-
Hi UntoHim.

No doubt there is that expectation.

But I just thank the Lord that I'm no longer so big on human expectations... The expectations of others, or my own.

Outside of things I've chosen to be responsible to/for that is.

UntoHim... I'll read whatever I sense the Lord is leading me to read, and in the same way, speak from my own experience whatever I sense the Lord wants me to speak from my own experience.

And if my doing so is a problem for anyone listening, that is their problem that they need to take before the Lord.

Now this doesn't mean that I don't care for those around me, as I try my best to care for them. But I have learned that the best way to care for those around me is to first care for the Lord. So that's what I try my best to do.

Quote:
Will sharing from the ministry of non Local Church persons/ministries be acceptable?[/COLOR]-
From my experience, to a degree.

On the other hand, if you try to make the meeting all about some ministry other than LSM, then you will most likely run into some opposition.

And understandably so.

Quote:
I am not asking this to give you a hard time or make you feel uncomfortable....I am genuinely interested in your take on this.[/COLOR]-
No worries.

The Lord knows.

Quote:
Thanks again for stopping by and look forward to your postings![/COLOR]-
And I look forward to our fellowship.
Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah6v8 View Post
Hi Drake

I was referring to HWMR titled "The Genuine Church Life" (based on 2017 Thanksgiving Weekend Conference) and "The Recovery of the Church" (based on ITERO Oct 2017) which both state both WN and WL's names on the covers.

As someone who has been in the Local Church for a fair bit, I am quite sure that in the past decade, WN's name was not stated on the covers of HWMR, even if extracts from his books were used as content inside the HWMR.

hi micah,

The catalog on the lsm.org site shows several with both Brothers Nee and Lee... and some were in the past. I doubt that this is a sea change to put both on every HWMR now and in the future. The amount of content and source material are the key here. I would follow Steele's advice..... just check with the Lord and do everything He tells you to the best of your understanding.

Drake
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #10
TLFisher

It's been a number of years (2008), but at one time my family and I met with a denomination that took a ministry publication. Instead of LSM's HWFMR, it was a Lifeway publication.
Whichever denomination Christians want to meet with; local church or otherwise, those assemblies may choose to take the ministry publication of their choosing.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #11
Mephibosheth

I like what Steel said; it seems that he is more focused on the person of Christ than opinions of men. Personally I like to come first to the Lord in His word to fellowship with God in prayer. Then, as time allows, I study the morning revival book. I study it the same as I study the Bible; that is by prayer and the Word. Just as in reading my Bible when I do not understand something, in simple prayer I ask God to reveal what He wants to show me.

Now the morning revival is not part of God's word, but a commentary, an inspiration, a study, a help, etc.; to help motivate us to fellowship with the Lord. Because this is what we are doing in my local church I try to focus on it. But during my week, the Lord is living and moving in me, speaking many things and the Bible is alive to me. The Lord's day meeting is only a small part of my church life. So for the most part I try to stay with what I sense is the Lord's speaking in the meeting. The good thing about my local church is that the saints have liberty to speak in the meetings. I am very thankful for this because it is what God was showing me not long after I received the Lord.

BTW, this is my first post. I just joined because a Brother I am in fellowship with thought it would be good. I will consider what to share as my testimony on this forum later.

Unto Him who loves us (Rev. 1:5)
Mephibosheth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #12
leastofthese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephibosheth View Post
BTW, this is my first post. I just joined because a Brother I am in fellowship with thought it would be good. I will consider what to share as my testimony on this forum later.
Welcome Meph,

Just curious -

Why did this brother think this forum would be good for you?

Your comment reminded me immediately of a Jehovah Witness referencing the Watchtower publications. Do you know any JWs?