Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > To God Be The Glory!

To God Be The Glory! A Place to Praise, Honor and Glorify our God! Words of Praise and Encouragement. Poems, Hymns, Prayers, Words of Wisdom, Knowledge and Prophetic Speaking

Old 11-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
Redeemed

Default Giving Thanks!

Good morning to all

This is my first ever post, though I have been visiting with you all for a few years now. I'm here to say "thank you" to all of you for sharing words of encouragement, for taking a risk to say sometimes deeply personal things, and for being here for years, having these conversations, allowing some of us to listen in.

I also wanted to share a little paragraph I read today from Spurgeon that I came across on the Blue Letter Bible website about thanksgiving...

“Our thanks are due to God for all temporal blessings; they are more than we deserve. But our thanks ought to go to God in thunders of hallelujahs for spiritual blessings. A new heart is better than a new coat. To feed on Christ is better than to have the best earthly food. To be an heir of God is better than being the heir of the greatest nobleman. To have God for our portion is blessed, infinitely more blessed than to own broad acres of land. God hath blessed us with spiritual blessings. These are the rarest, the richest, the most enduring of all blessings; they are priceless in value.” (Spurgeon)

Reading words like these from our brother Spurgeon, reminds me that many men and women have seen and loved God deeply across many many years of church history. We are not alone!

A little bit of my history by way of introduction. During my time with the Local Church (1980's in Seattle) I grew to love the Lord, His Word and His Work in my life - maybe not in a qualitatively different way than I had known Him before, but definitely in a more conscious way and perhaps, a more deliberate way.

I was saved about 8 years before and had many experiences of God's love, care and speaking to me. For example, before I headed off to college as a brand new believer - just 2 months old - I had a conversation with a pastor from a Christian Missionary Alliance fellowship. He asked me to stop by his office, being concerned over my ability to continue in my walk with the Lord knowing I was going off to the university. He showed me how to pray over and with the Word, and he encouraged to memorize scripture. I learned about the power of the Lord's blood when I was fairly young as a believer as well. A few years later, I learned about opening my mouth to speak and sing to the Lord out loud, from a dear believer who met with independent fellowship - "free group" I guess you might call it. But these experiences were more rare, not an every day experience or way of life for me. It was in the LC that I became surrounded by people who walked this way every day and that was a big change in my life.

There are things I am grateful and thankful to the Lord for and there are still questions that I have which I still am unraveling. This forum is helping with the unraveling.

So, hello to everyone and Happy Thanksgiving to you all and "thunders of hallelujahs to our God!"

Last edited by Redeemed; 11-22-2012 at 07:14 AM. Reason: edit
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: Giving Thanks!

Amen. Thankyou for your post. A new heart is truly an amazing gift. Feeding on Christ is better than a fancy meal. Being an heir of God much more to be thankful for than to be the heir to anyone else. Having God as our portion is certainly far better than any other portion you could have. Thankyou and hallelujahs to God!
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
NeitherFirstnorLast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Good morning to all

This is my first ever post, though I have been visiting with you all for a few years now. I'm here to say "thank you" to all of you for sharing words of encouragement, for taking a risk to say sometimes deeply personal things, and for being here for years, having these conversations, allowing some of us to listen in.
Thank you for visiting us and letting us know you're here, Redeemed. We are grateful for your sharing - and please, feel free to join us in fellowship any time... we all have a portion to share, and if we have encouraged you, know that you also can encourage us - and others like you who remain silent out there!
NeitherFirstnorLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
aron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
Being an heir of God much more to be thankful for than to be the heir to anyone else. Having God as our portion is certainly far better than any other portion you could have.
I was reminded of the line in Psalm 16, "The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance..." If we can call God our Father, that surely is the blessing of all blessings, far above any other.

But that is only the beginning, to say, "Abba, Father"... to confess Jesus Christ as Lord, and by faith turn toward our Heavenly Father... to be reborn in spirit. The next part is, "If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit" ~Galatians 5:25.

May the Father of lights bless you all with such an obedient walk according to His Holy Spirit. Peace to you all.