Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Oh Lord, Where Do We Go From Here?

Oh Lord, Where Do We Go From Here? Current and former members (and anyone in between!)... tell us what is on your mind and in your heart.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
bearbear

Default Our LC history in relation to God's Sovereignty

I think I've finally come to a point where the Lord was able to heal my anger, bitterness and shame in relation to my past in the LCs.

Before I would get extremely uncomfortable when bumping into other brother and sisters from my previous LC and even my own brother and his wife who are still heavily involved in LCs. I'd also go through episodes of anger from meditating on all the wrong that was committed and become angry over how Witness Lee could shamelessly do the things he did, even when I did my best to forgive.

Nowadays when I see them, those negative feelings never surface anymore and I think I'm more able to see them as God sees them, simply as brothers and sisters and children of God.

I eventually came to realize that God is sovereign despite all the negatives that happened. There are probably very good reasons we were in the LCs and Witness Lee and others were allowed by God to do the things they did that are beyond our understanding. God often used seemingly bad people and events in the bible which ultimately resulted in the greater good. This is especially found in the story of Joseph.

Joseph was almost murdered by his brothers and he was unjustly sold by them into slavery. Throughout his whole life he could have become bitter against God at his predicament, but he trusted in the Lord despite it all. He had every right to be bitter and complain. He served Potiphar faithfully but was thrown in jail when he stood for righteousness when his master's wife tempted him. Perhaps this isn't unlike when Ingalls et al were thrown under the bus by Witness Lee when they stood for righteousness. However Joseph never complained and held on to God's trustworthiness and promises, perhaps clinging to the dream God gave him years earlier. As a result of Joseph's faithfulness, God's favor was upon Joseph and we all know the rest of the story.

At their reunion, when his brothers ask Joseph why he's not bitter towards them, Joseph says something that sums it all up nicely:

"As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today." Genesis 50:20

From Joseph's story, I realized that if I stayed trapped in the prison of bitterness and feelings of injustice about the history of LCs and Witness Lee, I would actually hinder God's blessing and favor in my life. The Israelites in the wilderness were promised so much, but through their focusing on injustice and dwelling in bitterness, they were able to prevent themselves from receiving what God had planned to give them.

Another example is Ahitophel, one of King David's famed advisors who later betrayed him when Absalom tried to take the throne. Because he was Bathsheba's grandfather Ahitophel seemingly had every right to rebel and be angry towards God and David about injustice. He witnessed David kill his grandson in law, violate his grand-daughter and do many horrible things out of his lust for Bathsheba. Ahitophel was consumed with so much hatred that he volunteered to lead the army to kill only David. Though he was justified in his own eyes, his end was eventually death when Absalom did not heed his advice. Ahitophel tried to take justice into his own hands rather than letting God work it out, which God did considering that David's own son died and many other horrible things happened to him as a result of his sin.

Though Witness Lee and even Watchman Nee may not have been the people we were all conditioned to think they were, God was probably able to use them in ways beyond our understanding for the greater good even if they sinned and were unrepentant and did a lot of bad things. God is still sovereign despite it all and things that appear bad can be used for good. God's the one who uses fire to refine us after all.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." - Jeremiah 29:11

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths." - Proverbs 3:5-6

"Dear friends, don't be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed." 1 Peter 4:12-13