Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Orthodoxy - Christian Teaching

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
Sons to Glory!
Member
 
Sons to Glory!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,766
Default His Purpose - Christ in us

This morning I had a particularly good time in the word with song and prayer, and enjoyed His presence, encouragement and joy in me. These words came to me and I thought to share. It is a simple, one sentence statement of God's purpose and I hope this blesses you.

"God loved us so much that while we were enemies He came and died to rescue us
and put the Spirit of His Son into us to transform us into His image."
__________________
LC Berkeley 70s; LC Columbus OH 80s; An Ekklesia in Scottsdale 98-now
Sons to Glory! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:18 AM   #2
Sons to Glory!
Member
 
Sons to Glory!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,766
Default Re: His Purpose - Christ in us

I read this in a devotional this morning, and thought to post it: "The perfect church is the church that has the love of God flowing in all the imperfect members toward all the other imperfect members."
__________________
LC Berkeley 70s; LC Columbus OH 80s; An Ekklesia in Scottsdale 98-now
Sons to Glory! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:04 PM   #3
Trapped
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 654
Default Re: His Purpose - Christ in us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons to Glory! View Post
I read this in a devotional this morning, and thought to post it: "The perfect church is the church that has the love of God flowing in all the imperfect members toward all the other imperfect members."
Everyone is uncomely, and we are all instructed to heap more abundant honor on the uncomely ones (i.e. everyone)!
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
Sons to Glory!
Member
 
Sons to Glory!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,766
Default Re: His Purpose - Christ in us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped View Post
Everyone is uncomely, and we are all instructed to heap more abundant honor on the uncomely ones (i.e. everyone)!
Yes! As I go on, I generally view myself as less and other members in the body as more. I guess that's just part of being shown how weak I really am!

Here's something from that same devotional for today: "What is the perfect church? It is a forgiving church. It is a long-suffering church. It is an enduring, patient and caring church that is receiving all the failing, sinful, ungodly people who have Christ in them. There is forgiveness up to seventy times seven. And there is love and there is mercy."
__________________
LC Berkeley 70s; LC Columbus OH 80s; An Ekklesia in Scottsdale 98-now
Sons to Glory! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:39 AM   #5
sinnersavedbygrace
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tamil Nadu, South India
Posts: 2
Default Re: His Purpose - Christ in us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons to Glory! View Post
This morning I had a particularly good time in the word with song and prayer, and enjoyed His presence, encouragement and joy in me. These words came to me and I thought to share. It is a simple, one sentence statement of God's purpose and I hope this blesses you.

"God loved us so much that while we were enemies He came and died to rescue us
and put the Spirit of His Son into us to transform us into His image."
Thank you Sons to Glory! This encourages me to seek God's presence more.
sinnersavedbygrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
Ohio
Member
 
Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greater Ohio
Posts: 12,631
Default Re: His Purpose - Christ in us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons to Glory! View Post
"What is the perfect church?

It is a forgiving church. It is a long-suffering church. It is an enduring, patient and caring church that is receiving all the failing, sinful, ungodly people who have Christ in them. There is forgiveness up to seventy times seven. And there is love and there is mercy."
I love this. It is much more in line with our Lord's definition of "Be ye perfect as My Father." (Mt 5.48)

The definition of a "perfect" church has to accommodate lots of imperfection.
__________________
Ohio's motto is: With God all things are possible!.
Keeping all my posts short, quick, living, and to the point!
Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
Sons to Glory!
Member
 
Sons to Glory!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,766
Default Re: His Purpose - Christ in us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
I love this. It is much more in line with our Lord's definition of "Be ye perfect as My Father." (Mt 5.48)

The definition of a "perfect" church has to accommodate lots of imperfection.
Amen! In that section of Matthew 5, being perfect is in the context of loving others. Love is the foundation of it all, and how the Lord said we will be known as being His.

Whenever I stray very far from the truth of His love as being the reason for all of it, He gently reminds me and brings me back! If only all of us would walk in this wonderful reality all the time. . . .
__________________
LC Berkeley 70s; LC Columbus OH 80s; An Ekklesia in Scottsdale 98-now
Sons to Glory! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:39 PM   #8
Sons to Glory!
Member
 
Sons to Glory!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,766
Default Re: His Purpose - Christ in us

I'm reading in Major Ian Thomas' book, "The Indwelling Life of Christ" and read this which I thought to post here.

Quote:
He was in the beginning with God and was God, and is God, and as the Creative Word all things were made by Him. When He came to this earth, however, He became a man in the fullest sense of the term, Man as God intended man to be. He behaved as God intended man to behave, walking day by day in that relationship to the Father which God had always intended should exist between man and Himself.

"I am the way, the truth and the life." (John 14:6) When Jesus said, "I am the way," He was telling us, "I am how you can become a Christian, for I died for you." When He said, "I am the life," He was telling us, "I am how you can be the Christian you have become." Jesus is the Truth about the Way and the Truth about the Life.
I saw something afresh while reading this, that Jesus was (and is) the prototype for us. And through His life in us, He will do all the wonderful things He has promised us - WOW! The Christian life in its every day reality is impossible without Christ in us, our only hope of glory!
__________________
LC Berkeley 70s; LC Columbus OH 80s; An Ekklesia in Scottsdale 98-now
Sons to Glory! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:54 AM   #9
Sons to Glory!
Member
 
Sons to Glory!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,766
Default Re: His Purpose - Christ in us

Three passages came to me this morning: "and the word was God." "The Word became flesh." "a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies . . . it produces much grain." (John 1:1 & 14, 12:24)

TWO QUESTIONS WE SHOULD ASK:
1. What is the nature of The Word?
2. What is the nature of the many grains?

Isn't scripture amazing!?!?
__________________
LC Berkeley 70s; LC Columbus OH 80s; An Ekklesia in Scottsdale 98-now
Sons to Glory! is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:40 AM.


3.8.9