Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Extras! Extras! Read All About It!

Extras! Extras! Read All About It! Everything else that doesn't seem to fit anywhere else

Old 09-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
OBW

Default Preachers of Position

I'm wondering. For any of you who are in churches of any size, from small home groups to large congregations, including LCs, do may see the leadership sit in preferred places within the meetings? In Christianity, many preachers used to sit in chairs on the platform until it was time for the sermon.

It is sometime hard to figure out who is speaking at our assembly because that one may not be sitting anywhere near the front until time for them to speak when they will make their way forward and begin. There are no chairs on the platform and all kinds of people are on the front row.

I remember the LC leadership sitting on the front row. That is not necessarily for the purpose of being prominent. But it may be.

Any changes in what you observe in the places you frequent or even just visit?
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
countmeworthy

Default Re: Preachers of Position

In the large gatherings I've attended, the pastor of the church sits on a chair in the platform during Praise/Worship music. Sometimes they are in view for all the congregation to see. Sometimes they sit behind the band equipment. In the church I have frequented off and on over the last 5 yrs, when there is a guest speaker, neither the pastor or the guest speaker sit on a chair on the platform. They sit on the front row during Praise/Worship. When it is time for the sermon, the pastor introduces the guest speaker.

BUT...check THIS out: The front row seats are 'reserved' for the family or special friends of the pastor. They put signs on the chairs 'RESERVED'.

Other churches I've visited are not as rigid with their sitting arrangements as this church is.
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
manna-man

At the assembly I attend, Pastor Bob usually is the speaker. He gives us a heads up if someone else is going to speak or if he will be out of town. No reserved seats at Calvary. Well, you never know, maybe the seat your sitting in was mysteriously reserved for you by The Holy Spirit.

I've seen seats like that in Baptist churches and holiness churches. It rubs me the wrong way.

I believe it is more important to search for The Lord in any assembly regardless of what is happening. The enemy would love nothing more than to distract us from what is really happening in Gods house.

Much Grace,

Don Jr.
manna-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:16 AM   #4
OBW

I brought this up because I have seen a change in the past years. I think that it says something about the current conditions. Within Evangelicalism, the trend is toward no such prominence.

Where I grew up (Assemblies of God) the chairs for the preacher and associate pastor and/or music director were commonplace. When we started at IBC, the chairs were there on the platform. But the new preacher that started two months after we did removed them not long afterward. He sat on the front row as part of the congregation. Now he, or whoever else is speaking, usually sits toward the front, but not necessarily on the front. Since we have three identical services, he may even be sitting in the sound booth until shortly before the sermon.

I note the others that preach (because it has been a few years now that he seldom speaks an entire month straight) tend to sit toward the front, or, in some cases, are off to the side, unseen. There is a team of five or six that regularly share the burden. This has been more prominent as he now is getting chemotherapy on alternate Wednesdays and seldom speaks the following Sunday.

There are many changes besides the chairs. You probably would not recognize our service as that of a "bible church." Even the sermons are significantly less cerebral.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
countmeworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
You probably would not recognize our service as that of a "bible church." Even the sermons are significantly less cerebral.
How so? Can you explain what you mean Mike ? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
countmeworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by manna-man View Post
At the assembly I attend, Pastor Bob usually is the speaker. He gives us a heads up if someone else is going to speak or if he will be out of town. No reserved seats at Calvary. Well, you never know, maybe the seat your sitting in was mysteriously reserved for you by The Holy Spirit.

I've seen seats like that in Baptist churches and holiness churches. It rubs me the wrong way.

I believe it is more important to search for The Lord in any assembly regardless of what is happening. The enemy would love nothing more than to distract us from what is really happening in Gods house.

Much Grace,

Don Jr.
Calvary Chapel seems to have a good reputation all the way around Manna-man.
I like to listen To C.Chapel's Raoul Reece out of California on the radio.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
OBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by countmeworthy View Post
How so? Can you explain what you mean Mike ? Thanks.
OK. I'll throw out a few "oddities":
  • Sermons are not 3 points and an application (sort of a funny since that is the DTS way of teaching).
  • Sermons are much more application-oriented.
  • Women preach.
  • Theater seating.
  • 10-15 minutes of open time at the end of the service that includes time for "reflection" and prayer at the front (no alter, per se, but the apron of the platform works well).
  • Candles. Not just some flickering by the piano or something like that, but votives that individuals can light and leave at the front when they come to pray. (They are specifically as your testimony that God is working in your life. And there are some red candles to represent new conversions to Christ.)
  • Besides the candles, the general atmosphere (created at least partially by control of lighting and through other technologies) is somewhat "emerging" although we are far from some kind of "emerging" church in all its meaning.
Enough for now.

My oldest son goes to a different Bible church in town that is much closer to the old ways. They even still have a service for the old-timers where the song leader stands at the front waving out the meter of the song as they sing first, second and last verses from three songs. In 23 years at IBC, I only saw this a few times back in the first year or so.