Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Alternative Views - Click Here to Start New Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
zeek
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,910
Default The Briggs Myers personality type test

For better understanding of each other, take the test on http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp and report your personality type. I tested out to be a INFP. We can discuss what the results mean after you take the test.
__________________

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86


zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
ZNPaaneah
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,035
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

INTJ -- systems builder
__________________
They shall live by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
OBW
Member
 
OBW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DFW area
Posts: 3,953
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

INTP — Nerd. Fine with messes as long as I know where the important things are. Sit silently, hidden in the wallpaper, listening to conversations until I think there is something missing, and interject my thoughts and disappear back into the wallpaper (bet some wish I would disappear more).
__________________
Mike
I once thought I was. . . . but I may have been mistaken — Edge (with apologies)
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
ZNPaaneah
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,035
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
INTP — Nerd. Fine with messes as long as I know where the important things are. Sit silently, hidden in the wallpaper, listening to conversations until I think there is something missing, and interject my thoughts and disappear back into the wallpaper (bet some wish I would disappear more).
Precise about their descriptions, INTPs will often correct others (or be sorely tempted to) if the shade of meaning is a bit off.

They spend considerable time second-guessing themselves.

The open-endedness (from Perceiving) conjoined with the need for competence (NT) is expressed in a sense that one's conclusion may well be met by an equally plausible alternative solution, and that, after all, one may very well have overlooked some critical bit of data.

In this way INTPs are markedly different from INTJs, who are much more confident in their competence and willing to act on their convictions.

I read this on the website, yes, these points are very, very true!
__________________
They shall live by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:37 PM   #5
awareness
Moderator of Alternative Views
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,666
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

ENTJ - but was a stupid silly test. It would be different at different times in my life. Was kind of fun tho.
__________________

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire
.
awareness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:12 PM   #6
zeek
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,910
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
ENTJ - but was a stupid silly test. It would be different at different times in my life. Was kind of fun tho.
I don't know about that. ENTJ seems to fit you pretty well.
__________________

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86


zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:21 AM   #7
ZNPaaneah
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,035
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
ENTJ - but was a stupid silly test. It would be different at different times in my life. Was kind of fun tho.
ENTJs are decisive. They see what needs to be done, and frequently assign roles to their fellows. Few other types can equal their ability to remain resolute in conflict, sending the valiant (and often leading the charge) into the mouth of hell. Although they may chuckle and describe this as a “stupid, silly test” they will still express this with charm and the finesse of a world leader, or in some extreme and rare cases “forum leader”.
__________________
They shall live by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:50 AM   #8
zeek
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,910
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

Your relative scores on the test may also be significant. I scored 22% Introvert, 38% intuitive, 38% feeling and 3% perceiving. So on the test I'm close to the middle on the Introversion-Extraversion scale and even closer to the middle the Perceiving-Judging scale.
__________________

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86


zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:40 PM   #9
OBW
Member
 
OBW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DFW area
Posts: 3,953
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
Precise about their descriptions, INTPs will often correct others (or be sorely tempted to) if the shade of meaning is a bit off.

They spend considerable time second-guessing themselves.

The open-endedness (from Perceiving) conjoined with the need for competence (NT) is expressed in a sense that one's conclusion may well be met by an equally plausible alternative solution, and that, after all, one may very well have overlooked some critical bit of data.

In this way INTPs are markedly different from INTJs, who are much more confident in their competence and willing to act on their convictions.

I read this on the website, yes, these points are very, very true!
Yep, that is mostly me.

They can put something down in the middle of the room when they are done with it and it won't bother them at all. When they need it again, they know right where it is. Their desk is often a mess, but what matters (like their hard drive) is very organized. And, as you suggest, they will often be agonizing about how to do it better.

And one write-up also says that they tend to be Trekkies. I don't actually fit that, thought I am not a long way from it.
__________________
Mike
I once thought I was. . . . but I may have been mistaken — Edge (with apologies)
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:19 PM   #10
zeek
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,910
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
Yep, that is mostly me.

They can put something down in the middle of the room when they are done with it and it won't bother them at all. When they need it again, they know right where it is. Their desk is often a mess, but what matters (like their hard drive) is very organized. And, as you suggest, they will often be agonizing about how to do it better.

And one write-up also says that they tend to be Trekkies. I don't actually fit that, thought I am not a long way from it.
More of a Star Wars fan are you?
__________________

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86


zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #11
OBW
Member
 
OBW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DFW area
Posts: 3,953
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
More of a Star Wars fan are you?
Similar. Maybe a little more Star Wars.
__________________
Mike
I once thought I was. . . . but I may have been mistaken — Edge (with apologies)
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:18 PM   #12
zeek
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,910
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
Similar. Maybe a little more Star Wars.
OBW=Obi-Wan. Right?
__________________

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86


zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
OBW
Member
 
OBW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DFW area
Posts: 3,953
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
OBW=Obi-Wan. Right?
Not really. It was intended to be a play on a term from The Music Man . . . older but wiser (sadder but wiser).

And sometimes I wonder if it is just wishful thinking.

All the more reason for the "but I may be mistaken" in the byline.
__________________
Mike
I once thought I was. . . . but I may have been mistaken — Edge (with apologies)
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:03 AM   #14
ZNPaaneah
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,035
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
Not really. It was intended to be a play on a term from The Music Man . . . older but wiser (sadder but wiser).

And sometimes I wonder if it is just wishful thinking.

All the more reason for the "but I may be mistaken" in the byline.
We've got trouble, right here in River City, I say we have Trouble with a capital T and that rhymes with P which stands for Pool!

So I assume by this that you subscribe to the "think method" of learning an instrument?
__________________
They shall live by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:00 PM   #15
OBW
Member
 
OBW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DFW area
Posts: 3,953
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
So I assume by this that you subscribe to the "think method" of learning an instrument?
Never worked for me. My version of "Layla" on the guitar is about as good as the worst of that little ragtag band at the end of the show.
__________________
Mike
I once thought I was. . . . but I may have been mistaken — Edge (with apologies)
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #16
Evangelical
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,979
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

The Meyer Brigg's has no scientific merit. It's mostly nonsense. Just to elaborate on Awareness's post

"ENTJ - but was a stupid silly test. It would be different at different times in my life. Was kind of fun tho."

Personality tests are more to do with the view of the ones who created them than the subjects it tests.

For example, suppose I based a personality test on what sort of fruit you like to eat. I choose fruit because I think that personalities are related somehow to what fruit people like. Let's say I am an expert in psychology with a number of PhD degrees and I happen to like fruit myself.

I decide that I will divide the personality types by oranges, apples, bananas and pineapples (don't read too much into the types of fruit I have chosen for this illustration).

Now I create a test with a list of questions that asks you

1. Do you like orange, green, yellow? ans: orange
2. Do you like round objects or spikey ones? ans: round
3. Do you like sour or sweet? ans: sour/sweet

I could then conclude that "your personality is orange"

Obviously if you take the test another day, you might feel like bananas so it tells you that you have the personality of "banana".

People who are on the edge between oranges and bananas, might come up with a 50/50 split , and the test tells them that they are 50% orange and 50% banana.

So this discussion is really like this:

person 1 "what personality type are you"?
person 2 "I'm a banana".
person 3 "I am half a banana and half an apple"
person 1 "I am an orange, but people say I'm like a pineapple, my father was a pineapple".
person 2 "I am a banana so this explains why I am good at mathematics".
person 3 "I like mathematics but I also like art because I am half an apple".

The funny thing is when people start imagining their own greatness and comparing themselves to famous people based upon "personality".

"I am an orange - Winston Churchhill and Abraham Lincoln were oranges".

Knowing that some of you are bananas and others are oranges, have you really accomplished Zeek's OP goal "For better understanding of each other", or have you just told us what fruit you like to eat today?

Now you should be able to guess my Brigg's Myer type based upon the fact I am skeptical about Brigg's Myer and share the same personality type as Stephen Hawking.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #17
OBW
Member
 
OBW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DFW area
Posts: 3,953
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

E,

While I admit that there are flaws in the way the test works and the fact that you can take the test and answer what you think is true, what you want to be true, or just how you are feeling today and get different answers. But from what I know of people that take them multiple times, unless they are intentionally trying to mess with the system, the variances are not that extreme and often show shifts from slightly on one side of one of the characteristics to slightly on the other.

As to the premise that it is just some silly nonsense like your crazy questions and the fruit example, well it is just that — silly.

You are claiming that it is as random and pointless as your example and you know full well that it is nothing like that. Not a perfect tool, but actually quite meaningful in a general way. Not it a way that is so specific that it pegs you for all time.

It is clear that personality cannot be measured in a permanent way. But our real personality tends to be within a range, not simply all over the place (the true bipolar might be an exception). This particular personality test is not the end-all of tests. But neither is it meaningless.

And clearly not as meaningless as your ridiculous mockery.
__________________
Mike
I once thought I was. . . . but I may have been mistaken — Edge (with apologies)
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #18
zeek
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,910
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
The Meyer Brigg's has no scientific merit. It's mostly nonsense. Just to elaborate on Awareness's post

"ENTJ - but was a stupid silly test. It would be different at different times in my life. Was kind of fun tho."

Personality tests are more to do with the view of the ones who created them than the subjects it tests.

For example, suppose I based a personality test on what sort of fruit you like to eat. I choose fruit because I think that personalities are related somehow to what fruit people like. Let's say I am an expert in psychology with a number of PhD degrees and I happen to like fruit myself.

I decide that I will divide the personality types by oranges, apples, bananas and pineapples (don't read too much into the types of fruit I have chosen for this illustration).

Now I create a test with a list of questions that asks you

1. Do you like orange, green, yellow? ans: orange
2. Do you like round objects or spikey ones? ans: round
3. Do you like sour or sweet? ans: sour/sweet

I could then conclude that "your personality is orange"

Obviously if you take the test another day, you might feel like bananas so it tells you that you have the personality of "banana".

People who are on the edge between oranges and bananas, might come up with a 50/50 split , and the test tells them that they are 50% orange and 50% banana.

So this discussion is really like this:

person 1 "what personality type are you"?
person 2 "I'm a banana".
person 3 "I am half a banana and half an apple"
person 1 "I am an orange, but people say I'm like a pineapple, my father was a pineapple".
person 2 "I am a banana so this explains why I am good at mathematics".
person 3 "I like mathematics but I also like art because I am half an apple".

The funny thing is when people start imagining their own greatness and comparing themselves to famous people based upon "personality".

"I am an orange - Winston Churchhill and Abraham Lincoln were oranges".

Knowing that some of you are bananas and others are oranges, have you really accomplished Zeek's OP goal "For better understanding of each other", or have you just told us what fruit you like to eat today?

Now you should be able to guess my Brigg's Myer type based upon the fact I am skeptical about Brigg's Myer and share the same personality type as Stephen Hawking.
Amusing. Look at my posts and see if you can find where I claimed that the test is valid or reliable. I understand your skepticism. Think of it as a word game. It is possible to learn about others and about oneself by playing games with them.
__________________

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86


zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #19
Evangelical
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,979
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
E,

While I admit that there are flaws in the way the test works and the fact that you can take the test and answer what you think is true, what you want to be true, or just how you are feeling today and get different answers. But from what I know of people that take them multiple times, unless they are intentionally trying to mess with the system, the variances are not that extreme and often show shifts from slightly on one side of one of the characteristics to slightly on the other.

As to the premise that it is just some silly nonsense like your crazy questions and the fruit example, well it is just that — silly.

You are claiming that it is as random and pointless as your example and you know full well that it is nothing like that. Not a perfect tool, but actually quite meaningful in a general way. Not it a way that is so specific that it pegs you for all time.

It is clear that personality cannot be measured in a permanent way. But our real personality tends to be within a range, not simply all over the place (the true bipolar might be an exception). This particular personality test is not the end-all of tests. But neither is it meaningless.

And clearly not as meaningless as your ridiculous mockery.
OBW, the reason you get similar results every time you take it, is because it is asking you the same questions.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #20
Evangelical
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,979
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
Amusing. Look at my posts and see if you can find where I claimed that the test is valid or reliable. I understand your skepticism. Think of it as a word game. It is possible to learn about others and about oneself by playing games with them.
Oh really? So based upon the fact you knew it was invalid and unreliable, allow me to rephrase your OP:

"For better understanding of each other, take this invalid and unreliable test from which it is possible to learn about others and oneself".

It reminds me of this dialogue from Big Bang theory:

Sheldon: I made tea.
Leonard: I don't want tea.
Sheldon: I didn't make you tea. This is my tea.
Leonard: Then why did you tell me?
Sheldon: It's a conversation starter.
Leonard: That's a horrible conversation starter.
Sheldon: Oh, is it? We're conversing. Checkmate.

So Zeek - we are conversing, goal accomplished.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #21
zeek
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,910
Default Re: The Briggs Myers personality type test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
Oh really? So based upon the fact you knew it was invalid and unreliable, allow me to rephrase your OP:

"For better understanding of each other, take this invalid and unreliable test from which it is possible to learn about others and oneself".

It reminds me of this dialogue from Big Bang theory:

Sheldon: I made tea.
Leonard: I don't want tea.
Sheldon: I didn't make you tea. This is my tea.
Leonard: Then why did you tell me?
Sheldon: It's a conversation starter.
Leonard: That's a horrible conversation starter.
Sheldon: Oh, is it? We're conversing. Checkmate.

So Zeek - we are conversing, goal accomplished.
You must be a lot fun at board games. You haven't even shared your test results. You probably haven't even taken the test. Nice
__________________

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86


zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:01 AM.


3.8.9