Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Blogosphere @ LocalChurchDiscussions

Blogosphere @ LocalChurchDiscussions Each Blog is it's own thread. Please only one Blog per user! Guests are welcome to start their own Blog - Simply hit "New Thread" and Blog away!

Old 12-04-2018, 05:02 AM   #1
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: Carry My Bones Up From Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
One could visit orphans and widows 24x7 and not build up the Body of Christ. There are many secular and religious groups that do just that, and its commendable... but if that is all they do then they have missed Gods purpose.

https://muslimfostercare.org/

Drake
When you bring a canary into a coal mine it is not to help you mine the coal. The canary protects you from a pernicious killer creeping in by warning you. These false prophets that we have been warned about will prey on the most vulnerable, the widows and orphans. As long as you are caring for them it is like bug repellant to those that would make merchandise of the saints. James says "pure and undefiled religion". If you are not taking care of widows and orphans it indicates you are not pure, you are not undefiled, but instead you are "spotted by the world".

Instead I would argue that being a hearer only and not a doer of the word, that is the far more common pitfall of Christians and they have missed God's purpose.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:38 AM   #2
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
When you bring a canary into a coal mine it is not to help you mine the coal. The canary protects you from a pernicious killer creeping in by warning you. These false prophets that we have been warned about will prey on the most vulnerable, the widows and orphans. As long as you are caring for them it is like bug repellant to those that would make merchandise of the saints. James says "pure and undefiled religion". If you are not taking care of widows and orphans it indicates you are not pure, you are not undefiled, but instead you are "spotted by the world".

Instead I would argue that being a hearer only and not a doer of the word, that is the far more common pitfall of Christians and they have missed God's purpose.
Great post!

Once again the extremes of LSM have been exposed. When LSM threw Titus Chu under the bus and excommunicated the GLA, they also voiced their extreme displeasure that Midwest young people gatherings included "good works," such as visiting the sick, wrongfully condemning them as "dead works."
Old 12-04-2018, 05:49 AM   #3
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Great post!

Once again the extremes of LSM have been exposed. When LSM threw Titus Chu under the bus and excommunicated the GLA, they also voiced their extreme displeasure that Midwest young people gatherings included "good works," such as visiting the sick, wrongfully condemning them as "dead works."
The charge to "keep the perfect law of freedom" -- the Lord's commandment to do unto others as you would have them do unto you, is not an OT commandment, it is not the result of a blurry vision of God's NT economy, it is to keep the Lord's word. This is a very clear error in WL's ministry.

James takes this word and also the word to "love one another" and makes it practical. WL was very, very big on his disciples being "hearers of the word" and would gladly expound on these verses ad infinitum, but taught against being a doer of the word just like Drake said -- if you do that "you aren't building the kingdom" or "those are the works of dead religion", etc.

So ask yourself, did giving money for the legal defense fund used to sue Christians, was that building the kingdom? How about giving money for Daystar? How about the money that went to fund Timothy Lee and Phillip Lee? Given the choice I would prefer that money had been used to care for widows and orphans.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:59 AM   #4
Ohio

Quote:
So ask yourself, did giving money for the legal defense fund used to sue Christians, was that building the kingdom? How about giving money for Daystar? How about the money that went to fund Timothy Lee and Phillip Lee? Given the choice I would prefer that money had been used to care for widows and orphans.
Ahhh, one of those "canned speeches" so dreaded by Drake. No wonder he has dismissed the book of James as relevant for the church today.

Building up the church. What does this really mean? Can loving widows and orphans because one loves the Lord also build the church? Or should that be condemned because the Muslims also have an orphanage? What about those verses on love, like love our neighbor as ourself? Is that not building? What is the real building then? Should not real building up result from all obedience to the Lord?

Lee and LSM have long convinced their adherents that "real" building is only accomplished thru them. Saints are even persuaded to leave LC's to find "real" building at LSM. (How many times did I watch that happen?) Does anyone really believe this? The only "real" building up occurs when LSM signs your paycheck? Of course, they will vehemently deny this, but when it "looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, ... "
Old 12-04-2018, 06:30 AM   #5
Drake

Quote:

Of course doings and not just hearings are needed....the question here is what compels the doer and does the compelling force instigate anything else.

For instance, if I were to ask you to describe American football and you told me it consist of tens of thousands of fans screaming and yelling, eating hotdogs, popcorn, nachos, drinking beer and players trying to hurt each on the field then I would say you know something about American football but only on the surface... in reality you don’t really know the essence of football.

I wouldn’t go as far as afazio appeared to go in the main forum in finding fault with James, but she had a point that many problems in the early church could be sourced back to James and those he was shepherding because he was devoid of proper explanation (and presumably an understanding) of the essence of American football.

Thanks for the conversation... it really was civil and thought provoking rising above the usual canned speeches in the main forum.

Drake
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:47 AM   #6
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
Of course doings and not just hearings are needed....the question here is what compels the doer and does the compelling force instigate anything else.

For instance, if I were to ask you to describe American football and you told me it consist of tens of thousands of fans screaming and yelling, eating hotdogs, popcorn, nachos, drinking beer and players trying to hurt each on the field then I would say you know something about American football but only on the surface... in reality you don’t really know the essence of football.

I wouldn’t go as far as afazio appeared to go in the main forum in finding fault with James, but she had a point that many problems in the early church could be sourced back to James and those he was shepherding because he was devoid of proper explanation (and presumably an understanding) of the essence of American football.

Thanks for the conversation... it really was civil and thought provoking rising above the usual canned speeches in the main forum.

Drake
I agree that the account of James in the book of Acts and inferred from Galatians is indicative of an error in the early church.

However, none of that is evidence of an error in the epistle of James. Instead the book of Acts also clearly depicts the error of Paul yet no one infers from that that his epistles are also in error. Likewise, the gospels reveal Peter's error and again no one then infers this error is in his epistles. You need to do much better than pointing out that James was involved in error in Acts to discredit his epistle.

Going to your Football analogy: one aspect of American football is its value for fans (big money maker), one aspect is the coaching of the game (strategy and tactics), one aspect is the players training and health, and one very critical aspect is the referees. You cannot ignore any one of these aspects. If James is identifying where to "throw the flag" then that also is part of the game.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #7
Drake

Quote:
I agree that the account of James in the book of Acts and inferred from Galatians is indicative of an error in the early church.

However, none of that is evidence of an error in the epistle of James. Instead the book of Acts also clearly depicts the error of Paul yet no one infers from that that his epistles are also in error. Likewise, the gospels reveal Peter's error and again no one then infers this error is in his epistles. You need to do much better than pointing out that James was involved in error in Acts to discredit his epistle.

Going to your Football analogy: one aspect of American football is its value for fans (big money maker), one aspect is the coaching of the game (strategy and tactics), one aspect is the players training and health, and one very critical aspect is the referees. You cannot ignore any one of these aspects. If James is identifying where to "throw the flag" then that also is part of the game.
I haven’t concluded that James was in error in his epistle...just that ..it is lacking content concerning the New Testament economy and therefore its utility in building the Body of Christ is at best limited.

But you think otherwise... that’s fine. Therefore, since visiting orphans and widows is important and indicates a proof point of James’ practical understanding of Gods NT economy then .,. How many orphans widows have you visited in 2018 thus far?

Thx
Drake
Old 12-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
Ohio

Quote:
I haven’t concluded that James was in error in his epistle...just that ..it is lacking content concerning the New Testament economy and therefore its utility in building the Body of Christ is at best limited.

But you think otherwise... that’s fine. Therefore, since visiting orphans and widows is important and indicates a proof point of James’ practical understanding of Gods NT economy then .,. How many orphans widows have you visited in 2018 thus far?
Paul informs us that God's dispensation, or God's "economy," is not some thing we do, but is in faith, and the goal of Paul's charge is love out of a pure heart, and a good conscience, and unfeigned faith. (I Tim 1.4-5)

This forum is filled with testimony about leadership at LSM which contradicts faith, violates a good conscience, and obviously points to mixed motives of the heart.

And Drake has the nerve to impugn James' epistle? Drake has the nerve to imply that his circle of associates fulfilled Paul's charge to Timothy?

Remember the words of Jesus, "Woe to you hypocrites."
Old 12-05-2018, 07:12 AM   #9
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
That is a very narrow view of the New Testament economy. You were the one that used the analogy of the NFL. A handbook to refs on how to officiate and the rules of the game are every bit as much a part of the game as a book from a great coach like Vince Lombardi on strategy, plays, and how to coach a team. Marketing the game is another aspect that cannot be ignored and yet totally different from these first two points. Finally, a book by a famous player on his training regimen is also part of the game.

Likewise I used the analogy of a canary in the coal mine. That canary is a critical component of the mining operation yet does not mine any coal. That is not an obscure analogy, every single building has to have fire alarm, smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm.

The New Testament economy clearly talks about false prophets. Jesus does in His ministry. Paul does in his ministry. Peter does in his ministry and James does in his ministry. The big complaint about James in Acts is that he was a false prophet, or involved in a cult, or was negatively associated with "Those of the concision". Surely a book on this is far better than the simple "you will know them by their fruit".

Quote:

Thx
Drake
Approximately 40 of my students are homeless, and about 40 come from immigrant families, and a very large number are from single parent families. Thanks for asking. The church I meet with in Queens is very representative of the inner city population and therefore the numbers are quite similar. We have several outreaches. We no longer have a soup kitchen because we were sued and lost about 6 apartments next to the church. But we give out food every Sunday morning. Likewise we do have a number of opportunities to give when a member is about to lose their home or some other emergency.

When I first came into the church in Houston there was a brother there named Mike Collins, he was a mentor to me. I would often go to his house and virtually every night he would be fixing someone's car. Usually widows and poor members of the church. They couldn't pay him money so they would usually bring food and buy the part that he would replace. I would sit in the driveway and hand him tools.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:00 AM   #10
Drake

Default Re: ZNP Blog - Carry My Bones Up From Here

Hi ZNP,

So you are living what you believe and teach concerning orphans and widows... and for that I tip my hat to you. I also observe you restrain your tongue in the forum.. also commendable. The Lord reward your faithfulness.

I look at it this way.... and what I observe by Brother Lee's kind and careful handling of JAmes' epistle I also think he thought in a similar way.... that is, if you only had the book of James then you would be missing the main and central revelation concerning God's purpose for the Church and the building of the Body of Christ. It may seem I am dismissive of James' contribution but my view is the broadest one..... also I dont consider James to have been leading an evil cult.

Drake
Old 12-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: ZNP Blog - Carry My Bones Up From Here

Quote:
Hi ZNP,

So you are living what you believe and teach concerning orphans and widows... and for that I tip my hat to you. I also observe you restrain your tongue in the forum.. also commendable. The Lord reward your faithfulness.

I look at it this way.... and what I observe by Brother Lee's kind and careful handling of JAmes' epistle I also think he thought in a similar way.... that is, if you only had the book of James then you would be missing the main and central revelation concerning God's purpose for the Church and the building of the Body of Christ. It may seem I am dismissive of James' contribution but my view is the broadest one..... also I dont consider James to have been leading an evil cult.

Drake
I agree that the gospels and epistles of Paul are the main portion of the NT revelation.

I disagree with WL that James was keeping OT practices, teaching OT laws, or was unclear in his vision of the NT. I disagree that sending the letter to "the twelve tribes in the dispersion" indicated James was off, rather it indicated the Jews were having a tough time with the NT revelation and James had a burden for them.

I do agree in an ironic way that the purpose of James is to reveal those that don't have a clear view of the NT economy, but don't agree with the understanding I had in the LC that the person was James. I believe he is expanding on the basic principle the Lord gave that "you will know them by their works".

I also feel that James was specially prepared for this ministry, no one better to tell us not to be a respecter of man's person.