Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Alternative Views - Click Here to Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
Timotheist

Default Evidence for the separation of continents in Peleg's time

First, the passages in Genesis:

10:5 From these the coastlands of the nations were separated into their lands. (Gen 10:5 NAS)

10:25 And two sons were born to Eber; the name of the one was Peleg, for in his days the earth was divided; and his brother's name was Joktan. (Gen 10:25 NAS)

("Peleg" means "division", and Strong's includes "earthquake" as a synonym)

These verses set the stage for the separation of the people into their nations chapter 11.

As far as I am able to determine, the NAS translation is fair... chapter 10 says the "earth" was divided, and chapter 11 says that the people were divided. These are NOT two descriptions of the same event.

I am curious to what the MOTA said about these verses, as I do not own an Old Testament RV.

And am curious to see how this discussion goes.

I, for one, don't have much of a dog in this fight, as I do not claim the events are true as recorded.

Although it is a curiosity to me that these ancient people described an event that science says they could not have witnessed: that the Atlantic ocean now divides two large land masses that were once united.
Timotheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: Evidence for the separation of continents in Peleg's time

What do the lands signify? They signify territories. When I was young, I learned that the missionaries who went to my province preaching the same Lord and the same gospel held a conference in which they divided a part of that province among themselves. They said that a certain territory belonged to the Southern Baptists and that other territories belonged to the Presbyterians, Open Brethren, etc. They divided that part of the country into four or five territories. They were strict about this, saying to those who encroached upon their territory, "Why do you come to our territory to preach? Don't you know that we have agreed to divide this part of the country into territories?" (WL, Life Study of Genesis chapter 34, section 3).

He spends this message using the separation of the land as an allegory for Christians being divided into territories.

In my opinion he had absolutely nothing to say so he used it as an opportunity to go to a recurring theme in his talks (Christianity and denominations bad).

The problem with this reasoning is that God is the one that divided them, this isn't due to man's sin or rebellion, it took place long before Abram was called.
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timotheist View Post
First, the passages in Genesis:

10:5 From these the coastlands of the nations were separated into their lands. (Gen 10:5 NAS)
And Gen 10.5 continues, "Every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations."

I never read this as earthquakes or plate shifts, rather as the result of God judging Nimrod and Babel. The people were now divided by language, and thus migrated in their families throughout the earth forming new nations.

That would make this verse following the genealogy precede the events of chapter 11.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:00 AM   #4
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
And Gen 10.5 continues, "Every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations."

I never read this as earthquakes or plate shifts, rather as the result of God judging Nimrod and Babel. The people were now divided by language, and thus migrated in their families throughout the earth forming new nations.

That would make this verse following the genealogy precede the events of chapter 11.
I probably wasn't very clear, I don't disagree that the separation that took place after Babel was a result of God's judgement.

My point is that God, in His sovereignty, created the Earth with 7 continents, though in all reasonableness there are 5 continents where human civilization lives.

He doesn't address this point, why would God do that? I think in the same way that the US constitution has branches of government as a safeguard, God had different continents as a safeguard.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
I probably wasn't very clear, I don't disagree that the separation that took place after Babel was a result of God's judgement.

My point is that God, in His sovereignty, created the Earth with 7 continents, though in all reasonableness there are 5 continents where human civilization lives.

He doesn't address this point, why would God do that? I think in the same way that the US constitution has branches of government as a safeguard, God had different continents as a safeguard.
I agree with this. Kind of like the Alps protected Europe from Rome and the RCC.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
I agree with this. Kind of like the Alps protected Europe from Rome and the RCC.
But didn't protect Rome from Hannibal.