Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Introductions and Testimonies

Introductions and Testimonies Please tell everybody something about yourself. Tell us a little. Tell us a lot. Its up to you!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2014, 03:57 AM   #1
ZoeGrace

Default Living with an LC spouse...

Hello. I have a somewhat different tale of involvement with the LC. Quick background: raised catholic; became a born again Christian; married 13 years, both of us having been divorced; was in a denomination, coincidently where I met my husband; after two years of marriage, my husband decided to go back to where he spent the majority of his Christian life, the LC (he was in Anaheim with Witness Lee). At first, I attended meetings, but began to question what I was hearing and/or reading. Three major issues occurred...huge lawsuits for millions of dollars, quarantine and ex-communication, and then the one publication rule. I felt like I was going backwards. Not to mention all the “fallen” Christianity and other such comments directed at any other Christians not in the LC. I am not saying that those I have met in the LC are bad people...they are very sincere. I stopped attending meetings seven years ago. It really makes my heart hurt that the LC have such disdain for the other children of God.

In my estimation, and I am no expert theologian, the LC has been entirely hypocritical about Christianity and denominations while doing exactly the same things. My husband will not explain anything. He quotes the same verses over and over and repeats the LC teachings, not really answering. He hates to be questioned. He wants me to be as enthusiastic and involved as he is with the LC. He really is a good man, and I feel horrible and guilty! It is a very small group of families (six or seven) where we live and I am the only spouse who does not attend all the functions and socializing. The other wives have talked to me about not supporting my husband. I know they care for him as a brother. I have spoken to a couple of pastors, but they really do not understand as they believe the LC is no different than any other denomination and I should attend with my husband.

We have had some fairly "heated" discussions in the last few years. Some have been hurtful...as in, from him, "You are not even a Christian" to "You are in apostasy." Mine have been along the lines of...you are CRAZY, you are in a cult, and calling Witness Lee a pope...not my finer moments! (The pope comment was after he told me Witness Lee was the oracle of the age!)

Any words of wisdom? I don't want this to destroy our marriage, but it is very lonely outside of the LC when that is considered THE only social life! It is hard to have friends when they are looked upon as a recruit! And, if they are not interested, they are considered foolish and in “Babylon.”

I find your website very informative. Many of the things I question are being discussed. It's hard to be a fairly “new” Christian (30 years catholic) and try to muddle through all of this! Especially when you live with a very strong personality who knows the LC teachings forwards and backwards!
ZoeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote