Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Alternative Views - Click Here to Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
awareness

Default Re: Witness Lee's church puts a women's virginity above anything else

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda lexa View Post
Why does the local church or Witness Lee's church put the worth of a woman's virginity up above any thing else about her. Like thats all they are worth . Like we are suppose to be ruled by our father then husbands our only place is in the home to raise children. Yeah I know of a sick brother who pressured his wife to get pregnant so she would stay home and cook and clean for him. She wants to work but she been programmed from being raised in the church to follow her husband and not question him.
It's not just Lee et al, virginity has been a big deal for a long time. And virginity is worth millions, as is proven by girls selling it on the internet.

And in the Bible, in Numbers 31, the Israelite's are instructed to kill all the Midianites except the virgins. They collect 32,000 virgins and distribute then among the Israelite's. Even the Levite's got their share of the virgins.

Apparently it's God that loves the virgins. And men love them cuz they're clean, and don't know nothing about sex, so they can't criticize the performance, or lack thereof, of incompetent men.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:45 AM   #2
awareness

I should point out that I didn't start this thread. It was a response to the OP on the same thread on the open forum.

I'm not sure why bro Untohim brought my response from there and created this thread here on AltVs.

Maybe he thinks discussing why virginity has been so important down thru the ages is an important subject.

Maybe it's because Mary, the mother of Jesus, is said to be a perpetual virgin. Why is it important for her to be perpetually a virgin? Is virginity all that important? Why is a little piece of skin, or membrane, often referred to as a "maidenhead" so important?

And how did Mary keep her hymen after giving birth to Jesus? Is this, like the trinity, one of those mysteries that we just have to accept by faith. Seems to me that it just gives faith a bad name.

My first wife, a sister in the LC, was a virgin. And believe me, it's not all that it's cracked up to be ... for the man ... and especially not for the woman.

That aside, maybe bro Untohim can explain why he thought this matter so important as to use me to start a thread about it. Cuz I'm at a loss to explain it.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:25 AM   #3
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
I should point out that I didn't start this thread. It was a response to the OP on the same thread on the open forum.

I'm not sure why bro Untohim brought my response from there and created this thread here on AltVs.

Maybe he thinks discussing why virginity has been so important down thru the ages is an important subject.

Maybe it's because Mary, the mother of Jesus, is said to be a perpetual virgin. Why is it important for her to be perpetually a virgin? Is virginity all that important? Why is a little piece of skin, or membrane, often referred to as a "maidenhead" so important?

And how did Mary keep her hymen after giving birth to Jesus? Is this, like the trinity, one of those mysteries that we just have to accept by faith. Seems to me that it just gives faith a bad name.

My first wife, a sister in the LC, was a virgin. And believe me, it's not all that it's cracked up to be ... for the man ... and especially not for the woman.

That aside, maybe bro Untohim can explain why he thought this matter so important as to use me to start a thread about it. Cuz I'm at a loss to explain it.
Witness Lee and the Recover does not say the Mary was a perpetual virgin. Nor do we (many Christians) think that this is an item we have to accept by faith. You are confusing "virgin birth" with "perpetual virgin".
Old 01-10-2018, 08:15 AM   #4
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post

This has nothing to do with LCD.

These are simply superstitious myths from the Dark Ages.

You're lucky it made Alt-Views, I would have placed it in Recycle Bin.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #5
awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
This has nothing to do with LCD.

These are simply superstitious myths from the Dark Ages.

You're lucky it made Alt-Views, I would have placed it in Recycle Bin.
But Untohim left it "up there" and put it here.

I guess the thread title tells it all. I never noticed WL's church saying anything about women's virginity one way or another.

Maybe it's true in heda lexa's (the whoever that started the thread) locality. Or maybe I didn't see all of WL's church.

It sounds crazy to me.

Last edited by awareness; 01-11-2018 at 05:38 AM.
awareness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:31 AM   #6
Unregistered

I will say that as an unmarried woman in LC I felt a lot of pressure to remain a virgin until marriage.

I know this isn't unique to LC and and many Christian women feel the same way.

I think the perpetual virginity of Mary is a teaching from the Catholic church, definitely not an LC teaching, as we were taught that James was the natural brother of Jesus, which is only possible if he was the son of Mary.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #7
awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I will say that as an unmarried woman in LC I felt a lot of pressure to remain a virgin until marriage.

I know this isn't unique to LC and and many Christian women feel the same way.

I think the perpetual virginity of Mary is a teaching from the Catholic church, definitely not an LC teaching, as we were taught that James was the natural brother of Jesus, which is only possible if he was the son of Mary.
I feel for women. It's like they aren't valid until they get married.

Until then, it seems, they are fair game to predatory men.

And virginity is extremely valuable. These days it can be auctioned off for millions of dollars :

Nov 17, 2017 - A 19-YEAR-OLD US model claims to have sold her virginity to an Abu Dhabi-based businessman for nearly $3.9 million

http://www.news.com.au/finance/money...7f122bdce966c9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginity_auction

Girls that are molested won't be that valuable.

And sisters that aren't married, aren't worth much either, in churches like the local church.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #8
zeek

As I recall it, Witness Lee's Local Church movement was strictly patriarchal. But then, so are many other Evangelical Christian churches.

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86

zeek is offline   Reply With Quote