Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Blogosphere @ LocalChurchDiscussions

Blogosphere @ LocalChurchDiscussions Each Blog is it's own thread. Please only one Blog per user! Guests are welcome to start their own Blog - Simply hit "New Thread" and Blog away!

Old 08-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
TLFisher

Default Thoughts for Fellowship

Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment.
Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, "I am of Paul," and "I of Apollos," and "I of Cephas," and "I of Christ."
Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
I Corinthians 1:10,12-13

This portion from Paul, I can relate to and grieve in this present time. Paul's word isn't so much because of a name, bit because of heart attitude. Division is out of following a certain minister first before Christ. Division is receiving believers only if they meet with your congregation. What I have observed is believers will meet IF it's a church-sanctioned meeting much more than it is about gathering 2 to 3 in His name. When I mention the home group I meet with to loved ones or friends, the first question I'm asked is "is it through the church?".
When we gather in the Lord's name, we ought to be general in our gathering. How much more general can be it with Christ as the sole purpose for meeting together? When a specific ministry becomes the purpose for gathering, then we have fallen right into the trap Paul spoke up against in verse 12.

The issue is not receiving according to a particular ministry or minister, but "therefore, accept one another, just as Christ also accepted us to the glory of God." Romans 15:7.
TLFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
manna-man

Default I've got your back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment.
Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, "I am of Paul," and "I of Apollos," and "I of Cephas," and "I of Christ."
Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
I Corinthians 1:10,12-13

This portion from Paul, I can relate to and grieve in this present time. Paul's word isn't so much because of a name, bit because of heart attitude. Division is out of following a certain minister first before Christ. Division is receiving believers only if they meet with your congregation. What I have observed is believers will meet IF it's a church-sanctioned meeting much more than it is about gathering 2 to 3 in His name. When I mention the home group I meet with to loved ones or friends, the first question I'm asked is "is it through the church?".
When we gather in the Lord's name, we ought to be general in our gathering. How much more general can be it with Christ as the sole purpose for meeting together? When a specific ministry becomes the purpose for gathering, then we have fallen right into the trap Paul spoke up against in verse 12.

The issue is not receiving according to a particular ministry or minister, but "therefore, accept one another, just as Christ also accepted us to the glory of God." Romans 15:7.
Amen Terry, And the only way that will ever happen is if we start today. This means if you are at a LC meeting and you hear a LC'r talkin down a Former LC'rs then you will take a stand for those brothers and visa versa. Amen?

Amen!

Don Jr.
manna-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
countmeworthy

Default Re: Thoughts for Fellowship

Terry,
On the other forum which I confess, I peak at, there is a thread about Elders. On occassion, I have considered the 'offices': Apostles, Prophets, Teachers, (Elders) Shepherds, Pastors, Evangelists, Deacons, Bishops etc..

I also will confess I have not done an in-depth study on 'church affairs'. Perhaps someone more knowledgable and more anointed in these matters can shed some light..but per my point of view, having matured in Christ over time, through trials, tribulations, Mercy, Grace, Enlightenment, Perseverance and staying steadfast in my Faith in Christ Jesus, I am coming to the conclusion that those positions are acquired simply In Spirit. In other words, as we mature in Christ, we take on the office we are anointed with simply because we have been operating in that office. No one needs to 'ordain' us to that office..

Paul was 'ordained' an Apostle not by man but by Jesus Christ. He said so himself. He saw Jesus. In a sense, we all should be a little bit of all the offices combined.

But some are more gifted than others. Some are able to present the gospel with conviction and others might be gifted to teach the Word of God impacting the young believer...others might be more gifted in help building and edifying the Body of Christ.

Too many people rely on an 'apostle's' teaching... a Watchman Nee or a Witness Lee or a local congregational pastor. They let them do 'all the work' and the lazy sheep merely invite people to a church service or a meeting.

With many in the LSM, they merely pass out tracts on behalf of BFA. Their gospel message seems to be always the same.

I have told some of my LSM friends, Jesus never used the same formula to convict their hearts. In fact, He mostly spoke about the KINGDOM of God being at hand. He exhorted His disciples to pray "OUR FATHER"...not MY Father..and for "THY KINGDOM" to come...that is God's KINGDOM to come and for God's (PERFECT) WILL to be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Ok...before I go off on a rabbit trail, I'll stop right here.
May we all come to be who we are in Christ Jesus...members of one another...members of ONE Body...the Body of CHRIST...not the body of Lee, Pastor John Doe, or any particular ministry.
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
TLFisher

Default Re: Thoughts for Fellowship

Quote:
Originally Posted by countmeworthy View Post
May we all come to be who we are in Christ Jesus...members of one another...members of ONE Body...the Body of CHRIST...not the body of Lee, Pastor John Doe, or any particular ministry.
May I share with you some verses from 1 Corinthians 12, I find quite healing.

v12. For even as the body is one and yet has many members, and all the members of the body, though they are many, are one body, so also is Christ.
v13. For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.
v14. For the body is not one member, but many.
v20. But now there are many members, but one body.
v21. And the eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you"; or again the head to the feet, "I have no need of you."
v25. so that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another.

Terry
Old 08-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
TLFisher

Default Baggage

A few weekends ago my family and I visited my sister's family near Portland, Oregon. We visited their assembly for Lord's day service which is Church! at Bethany. There was a strong and practical word spoken. It was on baggage.

In Genesis 37 we see Jacob who was a cheat go through a change after wrestling with God all night. His name changed from Jacob to Israel. Name change indicates a change in character, but he still had the baggage of Jacob.

Jacob had favoritism for Joseph. Favoritism wounded Joseph's brothers and Jacob's old habits die hard. Which Jacob, favoritism turned out to be a generational wrecking ball. This favoritism breeded jealousy among the other sons of Jacob. These sons of Jacob have their father’s nature. They’re just as crafty and deceitful. Jealousy and rage built up over their father’s favoritism of Joseph which led to these brothers into deceiving Jacob that Joseph was dead.
Family baggage was hiding the fact Joseph didn’t die. This is a picture of family dysfunction. For Jacob, old baggage dies hard. We all have secrets and we all have baggage.

There were 3 principles that were brought out.

1. Being a Christ-follower doesn’t get rid of our baggage. Paul spoke in Romans 7:15,19,
For what I work out, I do not acknowledge, for what I will, this I do not practice; but what I hate, this I do.
For I do not do the good which I will; but the evil which I do not will, this I practice.
2. You don’t have to deal with your baggage before coming to Christ. God wants us to recognize our baggage and come to Him, to depend on God.
3. Bring your baggage into the light. James 5:16 says “There confess your sins to one another and pray for one another that you may be healed. The petition of a righteous man avails much in its working.” If we want healing, secrets must be brought into the light. See 1 John 1:5-9
“God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and are not practicing the truth; But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from every sin. If we say that we do not have sin, we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

Generational patterns won’t be broken until we bring our baggage into the light.

Here is the website of the spoken message:
http://www.churchatbethany.com/sermon/jacob-to-joseph/

Terry