Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Alternative Views - Click Here to Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 06:01 AM   #1
Dave

Default Alt Views--- What is it about?

This is just my opinion of what I "think" or "hope" the Alt View should/would be about or what it is about or includes:
1. Former or Current Members of the Local Church of Witness Lee/Watchman Nee
2. Those who have settled on Evangelical Christianity with various perspectives after leaving the LC
3. Those who have transitioned to other ideas or opinions other than Evangelical Christianity
4. A supportive community open to many ideas which can be freely discussed from various perspectives
Old 05-07-2015, 07:16 AM   #2
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

Default Re: Alt Views--- What is it about?

Dave, when you get a chance could you please try to formulate these ideas into a compact but succinct forum description. Maybe zeek and awareness can chip in on this effort as well.

I'm having some issues with the forum software on getting a description up there. Some of the sub forums I created a long time ago have descriptions on them, but for some reason it is not letting me put them on the header. I'll probably try to get Igzy to help me figure it out. In the meantime I didn't want you guys to think I didn't like the description you came up with, it's just a technical problem to be overcome.

I am considering turning Alt Views into it's own page. This way you guys could set up your own modules (like the various modules on the home page - Quotes and Quips, Listen up, etc. I know this is technically feasible with the software but I can't figure out how to make it work! Again, I think Igzy should be able to help me out on this.

I also have considered having a forum software geek coming to my home and paying him for a few hours of technical education so that I can start taking advantage of the of the advanced features of Vbulletin such as creating new pages and such.
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
Dave, when you get a chance could you please try to formulate these ideas into a compact but succinct forum description. Maybe zeek and awareness can chip in on this effort as well.

I'm having some issues with the forum software on getting a description up there. Some of the sub forums I created a long time ago have descriptions on them, but for some reason it is not letting me put them on the header. I'll probably try to get Igzy to help me figure it out. In the meantime I didn't want you guys to think I didn't like the description you came up with, it's just a technical problem to be overcome.

I am considering turning Alt Views into it's own page. This way you guys could set up your own modules (like the various modules on the home page - Quotes and Quips, Listen up, etc. I know this is technically feasible with the software but I can't figure out how to make it work! Again, I think Igzy should be able to help me out on this.

I also have considered having a forum software geek coming to my home and paying him for a few hours of technical education so that I can start taking advantage of the of the advanced features of Vbulletin such as creating new pages and such.
I did formulate this information and shared it with a couple members of this forum. I'm just waiting on what you can put together. I am concerned about isolation and the lack of continuity from the main forum but I do appreciate your effort. By isolating us at this point there is primarily the three of us talking to each other. There has to be others out there who have been in the LC but are no longer Evangelical Fundamentalists who are looking for something more and can share their experiences but have stayed away from the main forum because of concern that their opinions will be rejected. If you want to make it "Local Church Discussions" it has to include everyone which has been lacking at this point.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:52 AM   #4
Dave

I would also hope that Alt Vws would take a look at the political landscape because people are leaving Christianity and Christian faith because of the politics that have been infused into current Christian thought. You can't separate them and the outcome is significant. Note that Black Protestant churches aren't losing members but it is the white conservative evangelical or Catholics who have aligned themselves with the political right who are being rejected. Christians just can't blame Bart Ehrman for the rejection of the Christian faith...it is largely a result of the rejection of the right wing political position.

A new report by Pew's Research Center quoted in USA Today under the title, "Christians drop, 'nones' soar in new religion portrait" http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...rait/27159533/

"Only the historically black Protestant churches have held a steady grip through the years of change."

"Many of today's formerly faithful left conservative evangelical or Catholic denominations because "they saw them align with a conservative political agenda and they don't want to be identified with that," Hout said."
Old 05-12-2015, 07:09 AM   #5
zeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
This is just my opinion of what I "think" or "hope" the Alt View should/would be about or what it is about or includes:
1. Former or Current Members of the Local Church of Witness Lee/Watchman Nee
2. Those who have settled on Evangelical Christianity with various perspectives after leaving the LC
3. Those who have transitioned to other ideas or opinions other than Evangelical Christianity
4. A supportive community open to many ideas which can be freely discussed from various perspectives
Dave---I think you're on the right track. To 1. I would add "and other persons who are interested in discussing the so-called Lord's Recovery." 4. is particularly on point. Ex-local churchers need to recover from the Recovery.

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86

zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:51 AM   #6
awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
Dave---I think you're on the right track. To 1. I would add "and other persons who are interested in discussing the so-called Lord's Recovery." 4. is particularly on point. Ex-local churchers need to recover from the Recovery.
Now I think it needs to be put in paragraph form ... like a sales pitch ... or advert.

And maybe Untohim can add some shine and we'll have it.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #7
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
Now I think it needs to be put in paragraph form ... like a sales pitch ... or advert.

And maybe Untohim can add some shine and we'll have it.
Alternative Views is a supportive community where former or current Members of the Local Church of Witness Lee/Watchman Nee or those who are just interested in discussing the so-called Lord's Recovery can freely discuss ideas from various perspectives. This includes Evangelical Christian viewpoints or ideas and viewpoints inconsistent with Evangelical Christian thought.

Are we almost there?

I'll let you add the sales pitch part of it.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
OBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Alternative Views is a supportive community where former or current Members of the Local Church of Witness Lee/Watchman Nee or those who are just interested in discussing the so-called Lord's Recovery can freely discuss ideas from various perspectives. This includes Evangelical Christian viewpoints or ideas and viewpoints inconsistent with Evangelical Christian thought.

Are we almost there?

I'll let you add the sales pitch part of it.
I think it is definitely "arriving." I like discussing viewpoints inconsistent with Evangelical Christian thought (despite finding myself in the middle of that group), although not everybody wants to discuss my inconsistent ideas. Alas.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
This way you guys could set up your own modules (like the various modules on the home page - Quotes and Quips, Listen up, etc.
Just so everyone knows we can add modules to our AltV forum. Modules are what's on the sides of the main forum.

Untohim has to put them up. Please contact me in PMs if you have a module to add.