Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Introductions and Testimonies

Introductions and Testimonies Please tell everybody something about yourself. Tell us a little. Tell us a lot. Its up to you!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
ExChurchKid
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking Hope for all you church kids

Hi,
I've been a lurker on this website for about a year and a half. I check in now and then to see the latest posts and threads. I'm a former church kid. My family joined when I was in 4th grade. We eventually ended up in the heart of the church life, Orange County, CA. I was in as deep as person could possibly be. If "hooked" had a definition, it would be me. I've been out for about a year and a half now, and I couldn't be more thankful to God for showing me the truth and surrounding me with the people I needed to help support me. It wasn't easy, by any means, but I want the church kids out there to know that it is possible, and you will feel so much better once you're out.

The journey started when I met a man who had no interest in the church life whatsoever, but decided to check out our club on campus. He only help coming around because of me and we eventually started talking. As we started dating (which was already frowned upon as he wasn't in the LC), I, a devoted church kid, was doing everything in my power to "bring him in" and "unveil him" from his denominations. However, he is a VERY strong Christian and right off the bat could tell that something was wrong with the church life. Fast forward two years, our relationship is strong, except for our spiritual connection. I wouldn't leave the church life and he wasn't joining. I came to a crossroads, and no matter how he explained the wrongs of the LC, I was too brainwashed to see he was right. It was only by the Lord's mercy that I trusted GOD enough to begin my slow exit from the LC. It was a rough year. I lost my relationship with my parents. I questioned my stance on biblical truths. My relationship with God became almost nonexistent. I didn't know what truth was anymore. The road will be rough, but a year and a half after leaving, my relationship with God is strong, I married the love of my life, and I feel so free. I understand the BIBLE is the only thing we follow.

To former church kids:
1. If you're questioning the church life, don't shut down those questions-- investigate! Find the truth.
2. Remember that sometimes the Lord puts these "negative" and "veiled" people in our lives for a reason.
3. These "evil denominations" aren't "evil" at all. The church I go to now is non-denominational and there's absolutely nothing unbiblical about it. These people love Jesus and want to grow their relationship with God. The claim that denominations are "caught up in the world" is a bold faced lie. **Keep in mind though, that you need to find a home thats right for you, and not everywhere is perfect and nobody is perfect.

Hoping this helps someone out there,
ExChurchKid
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
ABrotherinFaith
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 94
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

1. If you're questioning the church life, don't shut down those questions-- investigate! Find the truth.

This is exactly what the Church disapproves of and openly tells people not to do, warning them that the internet is filled with slander. Someone just sent me a link to the Labor Day Conference in Chicago. The first two messages, especially the first, is an Abridged and edited version of the history of the local church. Interspersed, the speaker speaks about looking online and all the negative things that people have to say and he discourages people from investigating.

To your advice I'd add reading the Bible without footnotes, without the distraction of the ministry. Spend time with the Word.
ABrotherinFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #3
Trapped
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 342
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

ExChurchKid,

Thanks so much for your encouraging post! Any more tips and experiences are welcome and appreciated. Glad you have found yourself in a good place and are doing well.

Trapped
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #4
aron
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Natal Transvaal
Posts: 4,744
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExChurchKid View Post
I was in as deep as person could possibly be. If "hooked" had a definition, it would be me. I've been out for about a year and a half now, and I couldn't be more thankful to God ...
I too was "sold out" for the cause, and would try to steer other Christians to the LC. What did they have to offer me? Nothing. They were in "fallen Christianity", which was full of darkness, full of faults. In the LC we had the "recovered truths" and the "proper ground" which ensured that our excitement (yelling slogans, fist pumping) was actually the Holy Spirit ("reality! reality! reality!") and not just manufactured enthusiasm. As for us, we knew "God sees no iniquity in Israel"; yet by contrast all God could see in "poor, degraded Christianity" were faults upon faults.

Then one day the FTTA trainer told us, "Don't waste your time" with the aged, the poor, the weak and the sick. He continued, don't bother with those who can't repay you in this age; rather go for the "good building material" (college students). I was aghast. I protested. This was nothing like the gospels! They ignored me. So I let it go. . . I was sold out, remember? But looking back, that was the beginning of the end . . . I left 3 years later.

This was when the transition was underway from "door knocking" to "campus work". LC'ers got their eyes trained and calibrated to scout for middle class Caucasian college students. Anyone else, meh.

On a related note, I recently met with one from the LC, who told me that this year's push on campus had a theme: they need "fresh blood for the Body". Later in considering the phrase I remembered that it was Walter Martin the vampire expert who early on warned of the dangers of this group. Coincidence? Maybe not.
__________________
"Freedom is free. It's slavery that's so horribly expensive" - Colonel Templeton, ret., of the 12th Scottish Highlanders, the 'Black Fusiliers'
aron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:23 AM   #5
UntoHim
Grateful Servant
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,631
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

Hey ExChurchKid!

Please consider registering as a forum member. Simply send an email to LocalChurchDiscussions@Gmail.Com requesting membership. Be sure to include your desired UserName (I have reserved "ExChurchKid" if you want it) We will then shoot you back a return email with a temporary password.

-
__________________
Now Unto Him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy (Jude 24)
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:47 AM   #6
ZNPaaneah
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,955
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExChurchKid View Post
Hi,
I've been a lurker on this website for about a year and a half. I check in now and then to see the latest posts and threads. I'm a former church kid... I lost my relationship with my parents. I questioned my stance on biblical truths. My relationship with God became almost nonexistent. I didn't know what truth was anymore. The road will be rough, but a year and a half after leaving, my relationship with God is strong, I married the love of my life, and I feel so free. I understand the BIBLE is the only thing we follow.
Can you expound a little more on why you lost your relationship with your parents and how that might be restored? It seems an unnecessary loss since you are now married.
__________________
They shall live by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:38 AM   #7
UntoHim
Grateful Servant
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,631
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

You're right ZNP, the loss of relationship with parents and other close family members is totally unnecessary. Too bad that close, normal relationships outside of the Local Church were discouraged by Witness Lee. He labeled such common and natural relationships "as honey that spoiled the offering". Where he came up with this bizarre and totally unbiblical notion is a mystery to me. I guess it's just one of those things that he invented and used to keep the hearts and minds of his followers fully and completing devoted to himself and his so-called "ministry". Admittedly, it worked pretty darn well for over 50 years.
-
__________________
Now Unto Him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy (Jude 24)
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #8
byHismercy
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 239
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
I guess it's just one of those things that he invented and used to keep the hearts and minds of his followers fully and completing devoted to himself and his so-called "ministry". Admittedly, it worked pretty darn well for over 50 years.
It's still working.
byHismercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
UntoHim
Grateful Servant
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,631
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

Yeah, I was afraid of that.
-
__________________
Now Unto Him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy (Jude 24)
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #10
Trapped
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 342
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
You're right ZNP, the loss of relationship with parents and other close family members is totally unnecessary...
-
The funny thing is, I don't understand the draw of these things for people like the blended brothers. What is in it for them to maintain complete allegiance to someone not around any longer and who will not sit at the judgment seat? What is in it for them that prevents them from being able to say "xyz was a little overkill, the Lord has shined some light, having positive family relationships (or whatever) is ok"? Is it just job security? Not being able to handle the notion that they have been wrong (to whatever degree) for a large part of their life? Serving up refried Lee sounds like just an awful job to me. I have seen in some localities when ministry is reproduced and used for certain meetings, they will quietly replace "overkill" portions with ellipses. Why can't we openly and honestly acknowledge those ellipses?
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #11
byHismercy
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 239
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

This reminds me of the doctrine and writings of Ellen G White who is the 'prophetess' of the Seventh Day Adventist church. There is so much there that was spoken which is now hidden from the average faithful SDA member. In Gods' word, 'hidden things' go hand in hand with 'darkness'.....and I totally agree...how can such things be hidden....what christian can go along with hiding all the error, sin, satanic deception....how can that be justified among those who are supposedly shepherding the flock? It righteously belongs in the light of examination by Gods' word! Let it all come before the body! Let the good be held fast.....let the rest be corrected.
byHismercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:04 PM   #12
JJ
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 708
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post

On a related note, I recently met with one from the LC, who told me that this year's push on campus had a theme: they need "fresh blood for the Body". Later in considering the phrase I remembered that it was Walter Martin the vampire expert who early on warned of the dangers of this group. Coincidence? Maybe not.
Not to distract from some great reading material in this thread:
It was J. Gordon Melton (also a vampire expert, Google it) who was a paid expert witness that supported Lee and TLR in the first lawsuits against Walter Martin and Jack Sparks' books that had labeled Lee a cult leader and TLR as a cult.

Please continue the thread y'all!
__________________
And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14 NASB)
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #13
kappagamma
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped View Post
The funny thing is, I don't understand the draw of these things for people like the blended brothers. What is in it for them to maintain complete allegiance to someone not around any longer and who will not sit at the judgment seat? What is in it for them that prevents them from being able to say "xyz was a little overkill, the Lord has shined some light, having positive family relationships (or whatever) is ok"? Is it just job security? Not being able to handle the notion that they have been wrong (to whatever degree) for a large part of their life? Serving up refried Lee sounds like just an awful job to me. I have seen in some localities when ministry is reproduced and used for certain meetings, they will quietly replace "overkill" portions with ellipses. Why can't we openly and honestly acknowledge those ellipses?
Sorry to jump on an old thread. Just picking through to find those that feel relatable. I think a big portion of why there isn't the change you are asking about is generational. What Boomers do you know who are quick to admit they are wrong? They do tend to be really good at sweeping stuff under rugs though. I think we will have to see a generational shift in power before there is even a chance at "change" in the LC. And by that point... if it really is just a money grubbing enterprise then the likelihood of change remains slim.
kappagamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:48 AM   #14
HERn
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 781
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappagamma View Post
Sorry to jump on an old thread. Just picking through to find those that feel relatable. I think a big portion of why there isn't the change you are asking about is generational. What Boomers do you know who are quick to admit they are wrong? They do tend to be really good at sweeping stuff under rugs though. I think we will have to see a generational shift in power before there is even a chance at "change" in the LC. And by that point... if it really is just a money grubbing enterprise then the likelihood of change remains slim.
The absolute brothers really believe that when they open their eyes after death that they will see WL standing there with his hand out saying "well done good and faithful servant". They believe this because they have allowed themselves to be deceived by evil spirits. The evil spirits' strategy in LSM and the LC is to direct attention, love, honor, and devotion to the ministry of WL. The degree to which the saints allow themselves to be distracted is the degree to which they are distracted from Jesus, His clear teachings, and the true apostles' teaching found only in the NT. If only the absolute brothers would read the NT 30 minutes for every 10 minutes they read LSM publications their minds will be transformed, their souls will be washed with pure water, and their consciences will begin to function again.
__________________
Christ cares for all His sheep in whatever group.
HERn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #15
kappagamma
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 9
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERn View Post
The absolute brothers really believe that when they open their eyes after death that they will see WL standing there with his hand out saying "well done good and faithful servant". They believe this because they have allowed themselves to be deceived by evil spirits. The evil spirits' strategy in LSM and the LC is to direct attention, love, honor, and devotion to the ministry of WL. The degree to which the saints allow themselves to be distracted is the degree to which they are distracted from Jesus, His clear teachings, and the true apostles' teaching found only in the NT. If only the absolute brothers would read the NT 30 minutes for every 10 minutes they read LSM publications their minds will be transformed, their souls will be washed with pure water, and their consciences will begin to function again.
...maybe...

but... I think it's still generational. Think about it. These guys have been in control of this thing for 40 years. What is the motivation for change?
kappagamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:54 AM   #16
HERn
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 781
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappagamma View Post
...maybe...

but... I think it's still generational. Think about it. These guys have been in control of this thing for 40 years. What is the motivation for change?
Yep, you're right. Definitely a generational "Boomer thing" going on. One of my observations is that many of the Boomer old guard got saved in the despicable "denominations" and intuitively know there is truth and life outside of the LC movement, but many of the younger bucks and does who got saved via LC doctrine and practices have no experience outside of the LC, and some might not be saved but just faithful followers of the LSM ministry. These are more likely to teach that there is no way to go on with the Lord Jesus if you leave the LC movement. Just think of the fallout that happens when the dear saints who have been taught this realize they must leave the LC movement. Where can they go? Nowhere, so their faith becomes shipwrecked and they become functional agnostics. Absolute brothers who cause this to happen to the dear saints might want to consider what the Lord Jesus said about stumbling the little ones. After death instead of a handshake from WL they may get the proverbial millstone around the neck and a push into the sea.
__________________
Christ cares for all His sheep in whatever group.
HERn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:08 AM   #17
Jo S
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 257
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERn View Post
Just think of the fallout that happens when the dear saints who have been taught this realize they must leave the LC movement. Where can they go? Nowhere, so their faith becomes shipwrecked and they become functional agnostics.
This is assuming of course that they had their own faith to begin with.

From what I've seen many or I'd even say most generational LC members have lived their faith vicariously through parents and through a ministry having never developed an actual personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Why do they leave and become functional agnostics? Because they were always agnostic and just haven't had the space to realize it.
Jo S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #18
HERn
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 781
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo S View Post
This is assuming of course that they had their own faith to begin with.

From what I've seen many or I'd even say most generational LC members have lived their faith vicariously through parents and through a ministry having never developed an actual personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Why do they leave and become functional agnostics? Because they were always agnostic and just haven't had the space to realize it.
True that.
__________________
Christ cares for all His sheep in whatever group.
HERn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:54 AM   #19
Adelphos
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 8
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERn View Post
The absolute brothers really believe that when they open their eyes after death that they will see WL standing there with his hand out saying "well done good and faithful servant". They believe this because they have allowed themselves to be deceived by evil spirits. The evil spirits' strategy in LSM and the LC is to direct attention, love, honor, and devotion to the ministry of WL. The degree to which the saints allow themselves to be distracted is the degree to which they are distracted from Jesus, His clear teachings, and the true apostles' teaching found only in the NT. If only the absolute brothers would read the NT 30 minutes for every 10 minutes they read LSM publications their minds will be transformed, their souls will be washed with pure water, and their consciences will begin to function again.
Evil spirits. You are very astute in discerning it. I was there almost a year and the WL name kept coming up. Something was seriously wrong. Once I asked a Serving One working with the youth what determined the material that is used to teach the youth? I was told prayer and fellowship. Then I asked who wrote the material....Witness Lee. I was disgusted at that point. The person could not even see how absurd his answer was. There is a very religious way about the WL books that keep the members from seeing the gospel, the majesty and sovereignty of God.
Adelphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #20
RambleOn
Member
 
RambleOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 17
Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo S View Post
This is assuming of course that they had their own faith to begin with.

From what I've seen many or I'd even say most generational LC members have lived their faith vicariously through parents and through a ministry having never developed an actual personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Why do they leave and become functional agnostics? Because they were always agnostic and just haven't had the space to realize it.
Speaking as one such "functional agnostic" who was raised LC, I resent this line of thinking. While there's little room for doubt that this may be the case for some, I can say wholeheartedly that I 100% believed until I reached my early 20s. At that point things began to wobble for me as I encountered other viewpoints and considered various critiques of the christian faith. But prior to that, and even for another 5 years or so afterward, I very much thought of myself as a believer, prayed, struggled with doubt, prayed more, met with brothers about my struggles, branched out into other christian authors...At that point in my life, I had plenty of space, too. It wasn't that people were forcing me to do anything.

I'm just saying, even if it is the case that some percentage of exLCers never believed on a personal level, assuming that to be the case for all or most of them robs them of their own journey. Which effectively means being robbed of the choice by overbearing parents on the front end, and being robbed of the experience by observers afterward who write you off as having been a phony all along. Because even though I absolutely agree in hindsight that I wasn't given a free choice, in the moment I nevertheless believed.
RambleOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:35 AM.


3.8.9