Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > The Local Church in the 21st Century

The Local Church in the 21st Century Observations and Discussions regarding the Local Church Movement in the Here and Now

Old 04-08-2018, 03:37 AM   #1
clever sister

Default Deceptions on Campus

I saw some comments on another post about "Inclusiveness" on how Christians on Campus groups claim to be inclusive, but are not at all inclusive with other Christian groups.

There was also mention of how Christian On Campus is deceptive to interested students, claiming that the saints are all from different Christian backgrounds and not letting on that it is all funded by LC in order to recruit new students, usually with the aim of them going to the FTT.

It brought to my memory some other deceptions that occured while I was a student. At my university Christians on Campus was a club registered with the student association. As part of being a club there were certain criteria we had to fulfill, like showing we had a certain number of student members.
That fact that many of the students in our number only came once and never again wasn't that unusual, as clubs would always ask students to sign up at the start of the year and had no way of making sure members kept coming, it was up to them if they wanted to charge a membership fee.

However, there was deception that brothers asked of me as a student. In my 2nd (or perhaps 3rd) year one the the full time serving brothers approached me and asked me if I was wiling to be the secretary for the club. He assured me that I wouldn't need to do anything, I just had to fill out some forms and I would be able to put it on my resume.

Of course the club secretary has a specific role in the club, such as taking minutes at the annual meeting and ensuring all the paperwork for the club was in order. But I was never asked to do any of that. Instead I was asked to sign some paperwork to make it appear that the club was being led by students, when really it was being led by the full time serving ones.

I felt a bit weird about it, and never did put it on my resume, but I did agree to it. I look back on it as a situation I should never have been put into.

Other church kids at the same university were asked similar things, such as to be the president etc. Though I remember the brother who was the president did actually fulfill some of his roles at the annual meeting.
All I did at the annual meeting was be present.

I don't know if this is a widespread practice. Probably depends on the requirements of the campus to allow "Christians on Campus" to be present.
clever sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:46 AM   #2
Truthseeker

Default Re: Deceptions on Campus

I wonder why they just emphasize on the full-time training. This is the eternal purpose of God, isn't it ? If we can't pass the training, we would become dysfunctional Christians in the Church life ? Sometimes, some of them tries to make fear that you couldn't become overcomer and have to be in the outer darkness where there's weeping and gnashing teeth during the millennial kingdom. How spiritual abuse is it!
Truthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:57 AM   #3
Truthseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clever sister View Post

But I was never asked to do any of that. Instead I was asked to sign some paperwork to make it appear that the club was being led by students, when really it was being led by the full time serving one.

How terrible ! It looked like corrupted nominee enterprise systems. So, your campus Christian club could become LSM nominee or puppet.

Last edited by Truthseeker; 04-08-2018 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Wanna add some comment.
Truthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
DistantStar

One thing that struck me about Christians on Campus was the appearance of a lack of hierarchy. There wasn't a clear case of "this guy is in charge" or "this person manages everything". Only on this forum did I discover that there is a distinct hierarchy. After all, someone has to run this place, some one has to fund it! I just never thought it very cordial to ask these questions.

At our university they also have to have a minimum amount of members in order to register as a (religious) society. In fact, they failed to get the minimum one year, making them unable to have some of the weekly sessions on campus and yet some of them who weren't students still somehow got onto campus...

Good thing they introduced finger print verification.

May I ask in which country your university is? I know anything more than that might be too specific. It's interesting how the LC practices stay the same around the world.

Proverbs 14:12
DistantStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #5
clever sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantStar View Post
One thing that struck me about Christians on Campus was the appearance of a lack of hierarchy. There wasn't a clear case of "this guy is in charge" or "this person manages everything". Only on this forum did I discover that there is a distinct hierarchy. After all, someone has to run this place, some one has to fund it! I just never thought it very cordial to ask these questions.

At our university they also have to have a minimum amount of members in order to register as a (religious) society. In fact, they failed to get the minimum one year, making them unable to have some of the weekly sessions on campus and yet some of them who weren't students still somehow got onto campus...

Good thing they introduced finger print verification.

May I ask in which country your university is? I know anything more than that might be too specific. It's interesting how the LC practices stay the same around the world.
I'll say Australia/New Zealand. The practises in the 2 countries are similar, and both countries campus works led to the FTTH.

I also know of full time serving ones registering for one course per semester in order to be seen as more legitimate on campus.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #6
aron

Quote:
I also know of full time serving ones registering for one course per semester in order to be seen as more legitimate on campus.
There is a LOT of "appearance versus reality" stuff with this group. A lot of positioning, selective presentation, re-wording of "red flags" to make them less noticeable, of "coding" phrases so that outsiders would think it was biblically-sourced where the practice was anything but biblical.

The vast majority of CoC activity is careful and deliberate packaging and marketing, combined with manipulation both subtle and overt. Pressure the mark, or "new one", and get to a subjective crisis point which causes the mark to respond emotionally, then use that opening as a leverage point, and get them to work immediately recruiting others. Lots of "warm fuzzies" for going along with the programme, which can be withdrawn if need be. Again, establish leverage points and then manipulate.

There's a reason they go on the college campus: teen-agers are more susceptible to this pressure-and-control format than 35 year-olds. On the campus they get a much higher return-on-investment (ROI) than on Main Street.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:08 PM   #7
Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post
There is a LOT of "appearance versus reality" stuff with this group. A lot of positioning, selective presentation, re-wording of "red flags" to make them less noticeable, of "coding" phrases so that outsiders would think it was biblically-sourced where the practice was anything but biblical.

The vast majority of CoC activity is careful and deliberate packaging and marketing, combined with manipulation both subtle and overt. Pressure the mark, or "new one", and get to a subjective crisis point which causes the mark to respond emotionally, then use that opening as a leverage point, and get them to work immediately recruiting others. Lots of "warm fuzzies" for going along with the programme, which can be withdrawn if need be. Again, establish leverage points and then manipulate.

There's a reason they go on the college campus: teen-agers are more susceptible to this pressure-and-control format than 35 year-olds. On the campus they get a much higher return-on-investment (ROI) than on Main Street.
I served as a president of the CoC group at my campus. I was asked to, and it sounded reasonable enough at tge time, so I agreed. Almost immediately, I realized the students had no say in what was going on. The elders were making the decisions, we were just pawns.

In fact, the elders were there on campus participating and leading the Bible studies we had. Yet those who came to our meetings looked to us, the students, for the guidence they were seeking. We were put in a position of having to rationalize what was really going on, and I realized I could not do that. When I came to that realization, I withdrew from participating from CoC activities and focused on my studies, and I never looked back.
Isaiah 43:10 “You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:06 PM   #8
clever sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post

100% true. They don't even hide the fact that this is their motive.

In fellowship with the wider church on why there is the focus on college campuses they have said that this is the first time they have been away from home and that makes them more open to the gospel.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
kumbaya

Quote:
I saw some comments on another post about "Inclusiveness" on how Christians on Campus groups claim to be inclusive, but are not at all inclusive with other Christian groups.

There was also mention of how Christian On Campus is deceptive to interested students, claiming that the saints are all from different Christian backgrounds and not letting on that it is all funded by LC in order to recruit new students, usually with the aim of them going to the FTT.

It brought to my memory some other deceptions that occured while I was a student. At my university Christians on Campus was a club registered with the student association. As part of being a club there were certain criteria we had to fulfill, like showing we had a certain number of student members.
That fact that many of the students in our number only came once and never again wasn't that unusual, as clubs would always ask students to sign up at the start of the year and had no way of making sure members kept coming, it was up to them if they wanted to charge a membership fee.

However, there was deception that brothers asked of me as a student. In my 2nd (or perhaps 3rd) year one the the full time serving brothers approached me and asked me if I was wiling to be the secretary for the club. He assured me that I wouldn't need to do anything, I just had to fill out some forms and I would be able to put it on my resume.

Of course the club secretary has a specific role in the club, such as taking minutes at the annual meeting and ensuring all the paperwork for the club was in order. But I was never asked to do any of that. Instead I was asked to sign some paperwork to make it appear that the club was being led by students, when really it was being led by the full time serving ones.

I felt a bit weird about it, and never did put it on my resume, but I did agree to it. I look back on it as a situation I should never have been put into.

Other church kids at the same university were asked similar things, such as to be the president etc. Though I remember the brother who was the president did actually fulfill some of his roles at the annual meeting.
All I did at the annual meeting was be present.

I don't know if this is a widespread practice. Probably depends on the requirements of the campus to allow "Christians on Campus" to be present.
Laughing at the title and your screen name- brilliant! They probably don’t think the college kids are “mature” enough for the responsibility- which takes away the entire point!
kumbaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:00 AM   #10
clever sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumbaya View Post
Laughing at the title and your screen name- brilliant! They probably don’t think the college kids are “mature” enough for the responsibility- which takes away the entire point!
Thanks, my username was inspired by this post

http://localchurchdiscussions.com/vB...75&postcount=5

XD

Tags
christians on campus, deception