Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > The Local Church in the 21st Century

The Local Church in the 21st Century Observations and Discussions regarding the Local Church Movement in the Here and Now

Old 03-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
DistantStar

Post Christians on Campus Kicked Out - Tuks

Christians on Campus had been on the University of Pretoria for many years, as far as I understand. As some of you know I attended it for my entire first year and a part of my second year, after which I left.

Last week a friend of mine who still attends the LC it told me that they are no longer allowed on campus as a society. This is not for political reasons. Rather, they and every other official group have to register as a society, and for that at least 60 members are needed. They did not get the 60 members this year. This means that they can now longer use university rooms for "overflow" and that non-student LC members are no longer allowed on campus.

I don't think this is a fatal blow, unfortunately, as their Pretoria branch is just down the street from campus.

Perhaps I should not say "unfortunately". I recognise that the majority of them are true believers and that this is detrimental to some students as the CoC did function as good support for them.

Though in all honesty I am glad they are gone. It was their continuing presence on campus which kept me active on this forum. Now that they are gone I can finally clear my mind of them.

Edit: I do however think this is a fatal blow to their growth. University access afforded them many opportunities to reach out to new students. Without this I doubt they will be able to attract many people.

Proverbs 14:12

Last edited by DistantStar; 03-16-2017 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Grammar and clarification
DistantStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
Freedom

Default Re: Christians on Campus Kicked Out - Tuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantStar View Post
This is not for political reasons. Rather, they and every other official group have to register as a society, and for that at least 60 members are needed. They did not get the 60 members this year. This means that they can now longer use university rooms for "overflow" and that non-student LC members are no longer allowed on campus.
The thing that always bothered me about some of the various Christians on Campus clubs that I was familiar with is that sometimes the majority of those participating in club activities had no connection to the campus whatsoever. If a campus club is not something initiated by and run by students, then it really has no place on campus.
Isaiah 43:10 “You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coc, pretoria, south africa, university