Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Writings of Former Members > Writings and Concerns of Steve Isitt

Old 08-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
Indiana

Default The Bible in Living Color

The Bible is a record in black and white of God's people, yet given in full living color. There was no screening of names to keep out those with imperfections, or retaining of those in the record who would not sully its pages. Else, missing from the Bible's record would be many key figures, and the unique opportunity to learn from history's record of mistakes and failures among God's people.

The Transparency of Paul and the Bible

I am on an island far away from home and rise early in morning. For two months I have been reading and praying over Paul’s letters to the Corinthians and to the Galatians. Paul, like the Bible, is so transparent. In one place he reports that he rebuked Peter in front of all, telling him that he was not walking straightforwardly according to the truth. Then, he proceeded to write extensively to the Galatians on Christ versus the law and about the inclusion of the Gentiles in the promised blessing of the Spirit for all believers in Christ Jesus. (3:14) Peter thus “stood condemned” when he slinked away from the Gentiles and joined those who came from James and sat with them, apart from the Gentiles, and apart from the truth that they were “all one in Christ Jesus”, both Jews and Gentiles.

This huge mistake of Peter’s has not been hidden; it was spoken aloud by Paul to Peter and to all who were there. It was also reported to the Galatian churches by Paul in his letter to them, which was later canonized for the generations of Bible readers to learn about Peter’s mistake.

Not only Peter was exposed, but also by implication so were those in Jerusalem under the influence of James, and also James himself. Paul’s book of Galatians invalidates the mixing of Old Testament law with New Testament faith, thus annihilating concepts of church practice in Jerusalem under James’ leadership.

The Bible is a transparent book of God’s history with His people. In the Old Testament it captures King David in a lustful state for a woman he saw bathing from his bedroom window, which issued in his notorious pursuit of her and a visit from a prophet, Nathan, with a story to tell about a man and a sheep. David was not only exposed by Nathan personally, his story, which is in the spirit of lust, murder, and adultery, has been transparently viewed for centuries by Old and New Testament readers. Generations of readers and teachers in homes, schools, synagogues, and churches have read and talked about this ancient biblical account. King David could not hide his sins or bury them. God sovereignly exposed them.

Nathan Rebukes David (2 Samuel 12:1-13)

1 The LORD sent Nathan to David. When he came to him, he said, “There were two men in a certain town, one rich and the other poor. 2 The rich man had a very large number of sheep and cattle, 3 but the poor man had nothing except one little ewe lamb he had bought. He raised it, and it grew up with him and his children. It shared his food, drank from his cup and even slept in his arms. It was like a daughter to him.

4 “Now a traveler came to the rich man, but the rich man refrained from taking one of his own sheep or cattle to prepare a meal for the traveler who had come to him. Instead, he took the ewe lamb that belonged to the poor man and prepared it for the one who had come to him.”
5 David burned with anger against the man and said to Nathan, “As surely as the LORD lives, the man who did this must die! 6 He must pay for that lamb four times over, because he did such a thing and had no pity.”

7 Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man!”

The Bible, Psalm 51, also records David’s confession and repentance of his affair with Bathsheba, and this too has been published for the entire world to know.

Psalm 51 David’s Confession and Repentance

1 Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your unfailing love;
according to your great compassion
blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash away all my iniquity
and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is always before me.

4 Against you, you only, have I sinned
and done what is evil in your sight;
so you are right in your verdict
and justified when you judge.
5 Surely I was sinful at birth,
sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
6 Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb;
you taught me wisdom in that secret place.

7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
8 Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
9 Hide your face from my sins
and blot out all my iniquity.

10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
so that sinners will turn back to you.
14 Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,
you who are God my Savior,
and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.

15 Open my lips, Lord,
and my mouth will declare your praise.
16 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
17 My sacrifice, O God, is[b] a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart
you, God, will not despise.
18 May it please you to prosper Zion,
to build up the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then you will delight in the sacrifices of the righteous,
in burnt offerings offered whole;
then bulls will be offered on your altar.

David did not defend or cover over his wicked behavior, but with contrition faced God and confessed the truth of his sin.

In Contrast to Flawed Men in the Bible

By contrast to the flawed men we find in the Bible, we have the perfect record of imperfect men found in Local Church publications. According to their record coming off their own printing presses, there is no sin among them – past or present. Leaders Watchman Nee and Witness Lee, perfect! Current day blending brothers perfect! Official LC writings project a perfect record of such men, yet, in the face of abundance of documentation to the contrary. Not having transparent leaders or transparent publications, the Local Churches are not like the apostle Paul or the Bible - transparent and unabashed in dealing with relevant history of God’s people.

(The false witnessing in certain LC publications about former leaders is not transparent reporting. Rather, they are sins of bearing false witness that need to be confessed.)
Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
TLFisher

Default Re: The Bible in Living Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana View Post
(The false witnessing in certain LC publications about former leaders is not transparent reporting. Rather, they are sins of bearing false witness that need to be confessed.)
Some may say, why bring up the past? Why can't you leave the past in the past? Or simply say, it's ancient history.

Just as you can testify to last New Years Eve, saints still believe false witness testimony against a certain former leading one as being factual. When bearing of false witness goes unrepented, the reports LSM printed is actually leading others into bearing false witness.
TLFisher is offline   Reply With Quote