Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > To God Be The Glory!

To God Be The Glory! A Place to Praise, Honor and Glorify our God! Words of Praise and Encouragement. Poems, Hymns, Prayers, Words of Wisdom, Knowledge and Prophetic Speaking

Old 11-09-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default The Park Bench

This summer I had an experience that I can't find adequate words to describe. There are so many layers to what God did, that it could only be characterized as having God's Signature all over it.

Over two years ago I was told by two LC members that they had marked me as divisive and they had "withdrawn" from me. I haven't spoken with them since. They also told me I had "offended the Body of Christ" as though the Head were not capable of speaking for Himself about who had offended Him and who had not. Witness Lee told us that if we left the LC our walk with the Lord was over.

In fact, I feel that when I left the LC, my walk with the Lord was only beginning. This is my story about what God did this summer and He put me right in the middle of it in a way that only He can do.

Nell
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default What a fun trip this has been!

The Park Bench

What a fun trip this has been!
Of course, it wouldn't have been near as much fun if my Texas Rangers hadn't swept the St. Louis Cardinals in 3 games at Busch Stadium!

I almost didn't go. It was advertised on the Texas Rangers' web site, as a "Rangers Destination". There were 4 "destinations" but the only one I was interested in was the St. Louis trip. It was posted in April, around Opening Day. I didn't give it much thought because of the price tag. By the end of May, the trip was 3 weeks away and I just signed up, paid my money and took off! Whoa! Did that happen?

The Rangers took care of everything. There were about 80 wild and crazy Rangers fans and with every win at Busch Stadium, there was more fun to be had!

We stayed at the beautiful St. Louis Grand Renaissance Hotel which is 6 blocks from Busch Stadium. After a day of sightseeing on Friday around the Gateway Arch, I arrived at the ballpark around 5:30 for the 7:05 game. Of course we had GREAT seats near the Rangers’ dugout. At my seat there was a note in my drink holder inviting me to the Rangers Hospitality Suite for hot dogs, BBQ, nachos, all the ballpark food you could possibly want. I met a lot of Rangers fans, and of course, we were all sitting together during the game.

My seat was near a young woman, Mary, from Indianapolis who had never lived in Texas. She was a baseball fan without a team. Her son told her she had to "man up" and pick a team, so she picked the Rangers! Nice! Between Mary and I was a young man, Jerry, who worked in Memphis, but lived across the state line in Mississippi. Jerry had a similar story. He was getting into Fantasy Baseball about 5 years ago and had to pick a team. He liked the Rangers and picked them as his team. His "fantasy" became a reality!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #3
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default Christian baseball fans?

Christian baseball fans?
As a Christian, I sometimes struggle with the fact that I love baseball and love the Texas Rangers. My father was a HUGE St. Louis Cardinals fan. Growing up, I liked baseball because my Daddy liked baseball.

As an adult, I didn't return to baseball until 1998-99. In 2000 I joined the Texas Rangers Women’s Club because we could watch the games for free after we were done working. We handed out all the free stuff at the gates. Soon, I was missing too much baseball, so instead of being in the Women’s Club, I became a season ticket holder.

So what's wrong with a Christian loving baseball? Nothing.

I didn't arrive at that one word answer easily. I was part of a Christian group for almost 15 years that was controlling, restrictive and cultish. During those 15 years, I was taught by the leadership that anything I loved, apart from "the church" (their church) was "the flesh". I was ultimately reduced to a "non-person".

I even got “talked to” when I began to miss meetings so I could spend more time with my elderly parents. This was not acceptable. This kind of thinking would lead to becoming a “person” again. Eventually, I had to make a choice between “the church” and my parents. I chose my parents. As I left that group, my prayer was "Lord, don't let go of me!" Another prayer was "Please don't make me go back to that place."
Old 11-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default Fast forward 20 years to the park bench.

Fast forward 20 years to the park bench.
I found myself sitting on a park bench in St. Louis, Missouri, near the Gateway Arch. It was Sunday morning, June 23, 2013. The ONLY reason I was there that day was because I love baseball, and I love my Texas Rangers.

As I approached the park bench, it was empty, but a couple was approaching with eyes on that empty spot. There was plenty of room, so the three of us sat down at the precise same time. As I sat down, the gentleman was closer to me, and a peculiar thought came to mind "Well, he's finally here." Whaaat? I didn't give that much thought, but I was pretty sure I would strike up a conversation with this couple.

Conversations with strangers sitting next to me had become common place. The seat next to mine at Rangers Ballpark was occupied by a different person each game I attended. The only thing as much fun as watching a baseball game at the Ballpark is talking about it with the fan sitting next to you. I even had a very pleasant conversation with a Yankee fan once.

I had long since shaken off the "non-person" status. I had grown accustomed to talking to people who happened to be near me. As a non-person, I could only invite people to those church meetings, or say nothing. I was too embarrassed to invite people to boring meetings that I didn't want to attend myself, so I usually said nothing.

Last Sunday morning I was out taking pictures in this neat place in Fort Worth called a "Water Garden.” I struck up a conversation with a couple because I didn’t recognize the language they were speaking. They were from Italy. Rather than invite them to "church", I invited them to a Rangers game! How the worm has turned!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #5
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default Back to the bench.

Back to the bench.
The conversation opened with the usual "where are you from and why are you here". I'm from Fort Worth, and I'm here for the Rangers-Cardinals series. Peter and Sharon (not their real names) met at Southwest Theological Seminary in Fort Worth. Instant connection! They now lived near Memphis, across the state line in Mississippi (Now where had I heard that before?) I told Peter and Sharon that the guy sitting next to me at the Rangers games told me the same story! He worked in Memphis but lived across the state line in Mississippi! Peter and Sharon were here on a trip with their children and grandchildren. They came to the park to take a little break from the crowd. Peter was a retired pastor having served the Lord in that capacity for over 20 years. He loved the Bible, and knew it well.

Next, Peter asked me, where do you go to church? This time a two-word answer: I don't.

We had a brief discussion about "church" and the reason I don't attend organized church services anymore. The message: "Organized church" is no longer part of my life. When I left that cultish church, I prayed "Lord don't let go of me". When I "resurfaced" as a Christian, because of my experiences there, I was never able to become a permanent part of an organized church. I attended a Baptist church for a year or two, but was eventually convinced that this was not the place for me. The Lord has never "let go" of me. I fellowship with Christians anywhere, even on a park bench in St. Louis during a baseball weekend.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #6
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default Timing is everything.

Timing is everything.
The three of us arrived at the park bench around 11:30 on Sunday morning. Game 3 of the series with the Cards was that night at 7:05, so I had all day to wander around downtown St. Louis. I had been to the top of the Gateway Arch on Friday and spent Saturday with activities planned by the Rangers.

I thought I would ride the riverboat Sunday morning, but discovered there was also a helicopter ride. That would probably be too expensive. It wasn't TOO expensive, but it wasn't cheap. Does this really matter in the grand scheme of things?

Timing is everything. If I had taken the riverboat ride, I would have likely missed my Divine appointment at the park bench. I did what I really wanted to do, and rode the helicopter! I made it to my Divine Appointment at precisely the right time. (A non-person would have not only avoided the helicopter ride, but the baseball game, the trip to St. Louis, and every other thing that being a real person could mean!)

Of course, this was nonsensical (probably) to Peter and Sharon. They likely have no such thoughts. To them, and most normal people, it was just a decision you make.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #7
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default The conversation became serious.

The conversation became serious.
I was sitting next to Peter, and I recall being a bit of a motor mouth. I listened to Peter, too, and as the conversation went on, there were things he was struggling with in his life. He asked me to pray for him. I said OK, and began to pray for him aloud. As I recall, I told the Lord I didn't know Peter's need, but that He did. I prayed that the Lord would bless Peter and Sharon.

From around 11:30 to almost 2:30 that Sunday morning, the conversation on the park bench took one turn after another in a serious direction. Of the few things Peter told me regarding his struggles, mainly I recall the word "burnout" and a search to find God's path for him going forward. I’ll keep Peter's words private. I mostly remember what I shared with him---life-lessons I had learned and the person I became because of Him.

I thank Him for rescuing me and making me into the real person He wanted me to be. Most of the message/s I shared with Peter and Sharon were baseball stories.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #8
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default Message: Christians are everywhere, in all walks of life…even baseball.

Message: Christians are everywhere, in all walks of life…even baseball.
I had recently read a story on the Rangers website about 5 rookie pitchers who all came up through the Minors together. One statement made by Robbie Ross was "We all love each other and we all love Jesus." Before each pitching performance, Robbie Ross begins with a prayer as he steps off the back of the mound, removes his cap and bows his head.

This is also the practice of starting pitcher Derek Holland. Outfielder David Murphy's "walk up" music has the words "...this world is not where I belong. Take this world and give me Jesus." This makes it easy for me to love baseball. Robbie Ross’ wife was interviewed this week and told us that before this Sunday’s game, some of the Rangers players will be sharing their testimonies in the outfield Rangers bullpen. I stayed and attended that “bullpen session”. Robbie, Matt Harrison, David Murphy and Lance Berkman gave strong testimonies. Lance Berkman actually shared the gospel! David has struggled all year at the plate. He told us he often prayed that he wouldn’t let baseball rob him of his joy!

Christians are everywhere, even in the Texas Rangers Baseball Club; they are visible and becoming more visible all the time. People everywhere need Jesus, wherever they are, even baseball fans. We are commanded to "Go ye therefore into all the world..."
Old 11-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #9
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default Message: Agree with Him.

Back at the bench, we were discussing our desire to be in the Lord’s will, and doing fulfilling work for Him. In response, I recalled another baseball story from September, 2012. The Rangers were imploding and I was watching it happen. I was miserable. Sick.

I would sometimes turn the TV or radio "off" because I couldn't stand to watch or listen to what was happening. One time in particular, I was listening to an out of town game in the car and it was so bad I turned my radio off. I prayed, not for the game to turn around, but for "me" to "turn around". I told the Lord that I didn't want to feel this way about a baseball game. I didn't want winning or losing a baseball game to be so painful. I didn't want this to be my "life".

Again: what's wrong with Christians loving baseball? Getting carried away.
If you're familiar with Rangers baseball history, you'll understand my belief that "Real Rangers baseball fans must have a high tolerance for pain!" For me, this had gotten to be too much. I prayed, not that the Lord would change the outcome of the games for my personal benefit, but that the Lord would change me. Is that even possible? How? The best way I know for the Lord to change YOU is to agree with Him. You want what He wants. "Lord, if you want the Rangers to not win, so do I. I want what You want. I agree with You.

The circumstances of your life may not change, and if there is a change, things could get worse. Whatever the case, agree with Him. Be willing to remain where you are. If you are burned out, be willing to remain a “burnout” as His willing servant until He changes you. You may consider yourself to be a failure. Whatever you believe about your status in life may or may not be the truth of the situation. Regardless, all your hopes and dreams for a better life can consume you. Agree with Him. He placed you where you are, so be willing to remain until He changes you. Be willing to be a failure in your own eyes and the eyes of others. Surrender your will to His.
Whatever state you are in, therein be content.” And “In everything give thanks.”
Old 11-09-2013, 04:35 AM   #10
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default Message: Pathetic prayer.

When the Rangers are doing poorly, I pray for them to do their best. Rarely do I pray for them to win, but sometimes I do. Especially in 2012. This year (2013), we had a 6-game losing streak and I prayed for it to END.

As pathetic as that may sound, it has the virtue of honesty. Pray honestly according to whatever is in your heart. He knows your heart. Do you think He doesn't? Do you think you can hide what's in your heart from Him? Please! Don't add delusion to the list of problems! Just pray from your heart and ask Him to change your heart. Be willing for Him to change your heart. He may just teach you how to pray, while He's at it.

There was a time in my life 15 years ago, or so, that, with pen in hand, I prayed for the Lord to bring to mind every sin in my life for which I needed to confess and repent. I didn't "go fishing" to find things on my own, but I let Him speak to me. I made a list. I wrote down what He brought to mind, so I wouldn't forget. I was not surprised about some of the things that came to mind. However, some of the things were very surprising. He reminded me of things I had not considered, and things I had not thought of in years--if ever. I took my list and began to pray over it, item by item. I wouldn’t leave an item without a complete and thorough prayer and repentance. I wanted to be clean. From time to time, I go back to Him for a "tune up". Christians need to deal with sin every day and not let things pile up.

If you're having problems "figuring out" what it is God is saying to you, or what God wants you to do, or what direction to take in your life, consider this: you may not be clean. God may have already told you what He wants, but because of unconfessed sin in your life, you have offended His Holiness. He may not trust you with the next step until you obey what He's already commanded you to do, and you must first be clean.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #11
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default One more miracle

One more miracle
Sitting on a park bench in St. Louis having a heavy-duty conversation with a Baptist preacher, who was clearly hurting, was not something I’ve ever done before. Not in my wildest imagination. The longer we sat and talked, the more apparent it became that God had a message for Peter and He had chosen me to deliver it. In similar fashion, I imagined, that God had miraculously chosen Balaam’s ass to speak and get Balaam’s attention. When God has something to say, sometimes He has trouble getting our attention. It may take plopping you down on a park bench in St. Louis to get your attention.

I had left the helicopter ride and started back to my hotel because I was hungry. It was around 2:00 pm by now, and I wasn’t hungry anymore! I had food to eat that ye know not of…

Peter and Sharon's kids and grandkids had arrived at the park bench and they were swarming! Then, I was totally shocked when Jerry walked up. Remember Jerry?

I freaked! Pointing and shouting (rudely) "That's him! That's him! He sits next to me at Busch Stadium! He's the one who told me he worked in Memphis and lived across the state line in Mississippi." We were all shocked. As a child, Jerry lived near Peter and Sharon in Mississippi and grew up with their two sons. He had arranged to meet the family here at the park bench in St. Louis! If there was ever a doubt about God's arrangement of this day, now the doubt was forever gone.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #12
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default Epilogue: The Lord's ways are higher than our ways.

Epilogue: The Lord's ways are higher than our ways.
I doubt that Balaam’s donkey ever spoke again. I have Peter and Sharon’s contact information, but it seems the Lord wanted me just to deliver the message at the park bench, and that’s all. I will pray for Peter and Sharon. Blessings to you, Peter and Sharon, and my thanks for your kindness toward me.

I truly give thanks to God for His message and how he chose to deliver it. It has such an unmistakable "Signature" that only God could arrange such an event.

This event could only happen because God made me the unique individual that He wanted me to be. For fifteen years I became someone else. I obeyed men instead of God. I had come to believe that these men were God’s representatives on the earth and if I didn’t obey them my walk with the Lord would be over. The truth is, as soon as I obeyed these men, my walk with the Lord suffered. My walk wasn’t “over” but it was certainly a suffering to try to please men who cannot be pleased.

God had an appointment for me on a park bench in St. Louis on June 23, 2013 at 11:00 a.m. My entire life, he prepared me to be a person He could send to deliver His message. There may be someone else He could have sent in my place, but why? Who better than me?

I still don’t know about the peculiar thought "Well, he's finally here." Maybe the Lord had done some fancy footwork to get Peter to the park bench, too. That little thought may have been a sigh of relief from an angel or two…”Peter is finally here.”

Thank you Lord. You didn’t let go of me and you never will. I’m ready for my next assignment

Nell

Old 11-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #13
Ohio

Default Re: The Park Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
This summer I had an experience that I can't find adequate words to describe. There are so many layers to what God did, that it could only be characterized as having God's Signature all over it.
Great story, Nell.

Ironically it was these exciting stories, such as this one by Nell, which made the Lord Jesus so living and real to us in our daily walk, that got trashed by Witness Lee as some tedious "sea story," and not fit for consumption by the church of God. How dare some member of his little Recovery Kingdom have a real live experience of God outside the parameters of his ministry. Thus the plan was hatched in the catacombs at LSM to replace all personal testimonies with "prophecies" based solely on his teachings.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

As a former "non-person" I can really relate to Nell's story.

For some reason I am reminded of the Psalm that says "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well." As a non-person, as just one of many little bricks in a building, it is very easy to lose sight of the fact that EACH ONE OF US is "wonderfully made", and part of the "wonder" is the the uniqueness of every individual. The Bible is full of stories and illustrations that show that God not only allows or tolerates uniqueness, He actually created us to be unique. After all, it took Him 6 days to create the universe because He had to make so many unique things!

Thanks again, Nell, for this story. You really hit a home run!
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Thanks guys. I'm thinking about the old hymn "Jesus doeth all things well." Then there's 1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written: “Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him.”

Nell
Old 11-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #16
countmeworthy

What a wonderful story/ experience Nell. You are also a very gifted writer! It was exciting to read. We all looked forward to the next installment!

Thanks for lifting us all up!

Abundant blessings of Joy , Love and Peace in Jesus Christ.

Carol G
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #17
aron

Quote:
Originally Posted by countmeworthy View Post
What a wonderful story/ experience Nell. You are also a very gifted writer!
I agree with cmw. All your years of setting type and proof-reading bore fruit. You have a great writing style.

I used to be into baseball but nearly had a nervous breakdown one day when my team was on the field in the bottom of the ninth. The home team was at the plate with the tying run at third base, and the winning run at first. There were two outs. I listened to a couple of pitches and turned off the radio. I couldn't take it any more. That was it for me: I never could forget that moment.

Later, I heard that RK was a big Detroit Tigers fan, and had declared this allegiance from the podium. So I guess times change. As long as you pledge allegiance to their program, you can watch baseball.

Your story was great. I am glad you were there that day on that park bench in St. Louis, and I bet God was glad too! I think you could feel "the joy of the Lord" with you on that day. There is absolutely nothing better than to feel that you are being used by God.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Thanks Aaron and CMW--

It was a wonderful day for sure!

When someone you used to care about tells you that you have "offended the Body of Christ", days like 6/23/13 show that God's actions speak louder than their unkind words.

I'm pretty sure I've never done any typesetting and not much proofreading. I was on the edit team for Jane's book though!

Blessings to you all (even the unkind LC members)--
Nell
Old 11-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #19
countmeworthy

Quote:
Thanks Aaron and CMW--

When someone you used to care about tells you that you have "offended the Body of Christ", days like 6/23/13 show that God's actions speak louder than their unkind words.
Nell
Your welcome Nell :-)

As for offending the 'body of Christ'...we know they mean the LSM...

I noted in my post in the "excommunicated" thread
1) They are keen in pointing out the speck in their brothers' eye not noticing how HUGE the LOG in their own eye has gotten! That log is so big now, it has blinded them.

2) They are more worried about offending the church and their founders than grieving the Holy Spirit, a far more serious offense and something they ought to worry about !!

For that matter we should all be careful not to grieve the Holy Spirit. We grieve the Holy Spirit:
-- by taking our Salvation for granted
--losing our First Love and putting Him on the back burner.
-- by not caring about our brethren. That they reject us, that is their problem. We must still love them with God's Love even though we may never again associate with them on this earth in this lifetime. God will be the Judge.

So shake off their unkind words. And May our Good, Gracious, Kind, Compassionate God of LOVE bless you with many more wonderful days like you experienced.

Carol
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #20
OBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by countmeworthy View Post
. . . . They are more worried about offending the church and their founders than grieving the Holy Spirit, a far more serious offense and something they ought to worry about !!
This is so true.

Well, mostly.

I say "mostly" because the offense to the church is on their part. They offend it every time they insist that their sect is, like Pope Benedict said, the true church while everyone else is sort-of-church. Wounded church.

Not picking on CMW here. We all do it. We still find ourselves saying things like we learned it so many years ago. I keep discovering the levels of garlic stuck in my nose after these 26 years of outward freedom from their ways.

We need to quit reinforcing their warped view of what the church is. When they say "church," they are speaking of something that is not consistent with so many things that the church is. When they say "body," they would elevate a section of colon to the status of "the proper body" without need for the rest of that body.

If we quote them, it is OK. But we should not say what they say as if it is true. The only ones offended are those who are either of the hierarchy of the LSM/LRC, or are so steeped in it that they consider themselves to be the sole owners of the status of "church," "body," "saint," etc. Some will back down when confronted on this. But it too seldom pricks their consciences as being a proof of sectarianism.

BTW. Loved the story, Nell. Even if I had such an experience, it would not be written in such an engaging manner.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
BTW. Loved the story, Nell. Even if I had such an experience, it would not be written in such an engaging manner.
Thanks O.

Nell
Old 09-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #22
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default The Park Bench 2 (Row 12)

A few weeks ago, I was at the Rangers game in Arlington. I take hundreds (thousands) of pictures at the games, and when someone blocks my view, and there is no one behind me on row 12, I move from my row 11 seat to row 12 where there is a wall. I can stand and take pictures on row 12.

Soon a young lady ploped herself down beside me. Her name was Allison. She began to talk to me and showed no sign of stopping and no signs of watching the game. She was feeling no pain. Soon we were best friends. In her painless state, she could no longer find her old friends and was happy to find a new one. She had their seat location and I tried to tell her exactly where it was.

As her new best friend, nothing would do but I must join her and her friends for a round of Las Vegas Bombs. She wanted to know what my favorite drink was. I really don't have a favorite, but I will have a frozen drink at the game once or twice a season. I guess the Las Vegas Bombs were great here at the game.

On and on it went. Finally I agreed to meet Allison's friends and take her to them since I was sure she would never be able to find them on her own. After pointing us in the right direction, we found her friend Tiffany, who was in a little better shape than Allison. Tiffany explained that Allison was in a messy divorce and was not doing well. Allison wanted me to go with them. I told Tiffany I wanted to watch the game. She understood. I handed Allison over to Tiffany. It was after the 7th inning and no alcohol was sold after the 7th inning. This is a good thing.

Allison hugged me...Tiffany hugged me...I was wonderful...I was so sweet...how could they ever thank me...on and on.

Before they left, I told Allison I wanted to ask her a question: "Allison, do you ever talk to Jesus?"

"Yes. I'm Catholic".

"But, do you ever talk to Jesus?"

"Well, I don't talk to him enough."

"Allison, you need to talk to Jesus."

OK. I'll talk to Jesus.

More hugs and a sweet goodbye.

Thank you Lord for bringing those people to block my view so I couldn't take pictures. Thank you for moving me from row 11 to row 12. Thank you for having the usher plop Allison down next to me. I hope Allison is talking to You. I know she's talking, I just hope she talks to You.

Your children are everywhere, including park benches and ballparks. You loved everyone in that ballpark that night and you sent one of them to me. Thank you.

I'm ready for my next assignment.

Nell
Old 09-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #23
Ohio

Default Re: The Park Bench 2 (Row 12)

Quote:

I'm ready for my next assignment.

Nell
Designated driver?
Old 09-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #24
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default Re: The Park Bench 2 (Row 12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Designated driver?
That too.

(At home plate you can sign up as a Designated Driver. You get a coupon for a free soft drink. I always sign up!)
Old 09-25-2014, 06:02 AM   #25
Dancing

Loved your stories, Nell.
I especially admire your willingness to be interrupted for others' sake....that shows where your heart REALLY is. For it's obvious you do indeed love your Rangers
"Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts." - Jer 15:16 KJV
Dancing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #26
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing View Post
Loved your stories, Nell.
I especially admire your willingness to be interrupted for others' sake....that shows where your heart REALLY is. For it's obvious you do indeed love your Rangers
Thanks, Dancing.

It's been a rough season for the Rangers this year, but it's almost over and we're finishing strong. Spring Training is only 6 months away!

Nell
Old 09-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #27
Dancing

Quote:
Thanks, Dancing.

It's been a rough season for the Rangers this year, but it's almost over and we're finishing strong. Spring Training is only 6 months away!

Nell
Have you noticed how well the Pirates are doing? And we're "low budget..."
"Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts." - Jer 15:16 KJV
Dancing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #28
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing View Post
Have you noticed how well the Pirates are doing? And we're "low budget..."
I've noticed! Raise the Jolly Roger! We love Clint Hurdle. He was one of us a few years ago. Great guy.

We're looking to be the party pooper and doing a fine job of it. Fantastic walk-off tonight against the A's. We can't bury them for the post season, but we can help KC take home field advantage from them.

See ya' Derek.

Nell
Old 12-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #29
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Last summer I was walking to my car after a ballgame. The game was just over and several people were walking toward the parking lots in the same direction I was going. I noticed a black guy in the crowd among the herd going my way. Soon I decided to take a shortcut across a grassy area which was a more direct route to my car.

I was approaching the street I needed to cross...2 lanes going each direction separated by a median. The same black guy, in his 30's, came along side me as we approached this broad street and said pleasantly, with a smile in his voice, "You're going to take my hand and we're going to cross this street together." He held his hand out to me and I took it. He looked both ways for traffic and we started to cross the street. I don't know how to describe the feeling I had. I was holding the hand of a total stranger because he told me to. I had never done such a thing before. I felt totally safe. I even had a sense of wellbeing. I didn't think I needed help crossing the street, but maybe I did. There was no conversation, just me holding his hand and him looking out for cars.

After we were on the other side, I said a meek "thank you" and he said something like "drive safe". I can't really remember. My car was to the left a short distance...I always park in the same place. I was thinking about the game or something...one of the few games we won last summer. I can't remember looking around to see where he went. I just remember I didn't see him anymore.

I got in my car and it hit me... what just happened? I just took the hand of a stranger, a black guy who told me we were going to cross the street together. We did, and I wasn't uneasy or uncomfortable in the least. In fact, I felt safe. I remember thinking "that might have been an angel". Hummm. That might have been an angel. I can't say it was...but I can't say it wasn't.

Nell
Old 12-23-2014, 05:40 AM   #30
awareness

Quote:
Last summer I was walking to my car after a ballgame. The game was just over and several people were walking toward the parking lots in the same direction I was going. I noticed a black guy in the crowd among the herd going my way. Soon I decided to take a shortcut across a grassy area which was a more direct route to my car.

I was approaching the street I needed to cross...2 lanes going each direction separated by a median. The same black guy, in his 30's, came along side me as we approached this broad street and said pleasantly, with a smile in his voice, "You're going to take my hand and we're going to cross this street together." He held his hand out to me and I took it. He looked both ways for traffic and we started to cross the street. I don't know how to describe the feeling I had. I was holding the hand of a total stranger because he told me to. I had never done such a thing before. I felt totally safe. I even had a sense of wellbeing. I didn't think I needed help crossing the street, but maybe I did. There was no conversation, just me holding his hand and him looking out for cars.

After we were on the other side, I said a meek "thank you" and he said something like "drive safe". I can't really remember. My car was to the left a short distance...I always park in the same place. I was thinking about the game or something...one of the few games we won last summer. I can't remember looking around to see where he went. I just remember I didn't see him anymore.

I got in my car and it hit me... what just happened? I just took the hand of a stranger, a black guy who told me we were going to cross the street together. We did, and I wasn't uneasy or uncomfortable in the least. In fact, I felt safe. I remember thinking "that might have been an angel". Hummm. That might have been an angel. I can't say it was...but I can't say it wasn't.

Nell
Maybe he thought you were an angel ...
Old 12-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #31
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
Maybe he thought you were an angel ...
Nice Aw...I can certainly see how he could make that mistake!
Old 03-09-2021, 12:29 PM   #32
Nell
Admin/Moderator

We are free to be who God made us to be.

Nell
Old 03-14-2021, 07:24 PM   #33
JJ

I've been singing and enjoying this song that I heard many times but hadn't really appreciated.

After listening and singing I realized this is what we are going to be doing together for eternity, giving glory to our God in Christ. Awesome!

Glory in the Highest – by Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, and others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIwZ_UzddAs

Lyrics:
You are the first
You go before
You are the last
Lord, You're the encore
Your name's in lights
For all to see
The starry Host
Declare Your glory
Glory in the highest
Glory in the highest
Glory in the highest
Apart from You
There is no God
Light of the world
The Bright and Morning Star
Your name will shine
For all to see
You are the One
You are my glory
Glory in the highest
Glory in the highest
Glory in the highest
And no one else could ever compare
To You, Lord
All the earth together declares
Glory in the highest
Glory in the highest
Glory in the highest
To You, Lord
To You, Lord
Glory in the highest
Glory in the highest
Hallelujah!
And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14 NASB)
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote