Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Apologetic discussions

Apologetic discussions Apologetic Discussions Regarding the Teachings of Watchman Nee and Witness Lee

Old 03-08-2018, 05:22 AM   #1
Drake

Default Re: What is the boundary of the Local Church?

Igzy>”It's a little weird that we have LCMers here defending the existence of latter day Apostles, yet denying that the Recovery believed that Lee's presumed Apostleship gave him authority over church”

Igzy,

I don’t believe I ever said that modern day apostles do not have authority according to the function of their gift in the ministry.

I just don’t except it the way you define it or frame the whole matter.

Drake
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:52 AM   #2
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Igzy>”It's a little weird that we have LCMers here defending the existence of latter day Apostles, yet denying that the Recovery believed that Lee's presumed Apostleship gave him authority over church”

Igzy,

I don’t believe I ever said that modern day apostles do not have authority according to the function of their gift in the ministry.

Drake
Can you be more specific as to how a "modern day" apostle differs from the 12?
Old 03-08-2018, 07:19 AM   #3
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
Can you be more specific as to how a "modern day" apostle differs from the 12?
No because it is a false comparison.

We are discussing at the moment the existence of NT apostles and their being given as gifts by the Lord Himself in His ascension and their function. Clearly the 12 are distinct from Paul and all the other apostles Evangelical mentioned.

Thanks
Drake
Old 03-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #4
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
No because it is a false comparison.

We are discussing at the moment the existence of NT apostles and their being given as gifts by the Lord Himself in His ascension and their function. Clearly the 12 are distinct from Paul and all the other apostles Evangelical mentioned.

Thanks
Drake
Do you agree that the NT is complete? That the "fellowship of the Apostle's" that we are to keep is already complete?
Old 03-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #5
Drake

Quote:
Do you agree that the NT is complete? That the "fellowship of the Apostle's" that we are to keep is already complete?

Of course the NT is complete. What a question!
Old 03-08-2018, 09:01 AM   #6
Ohio

Quote:
Yet, LSM had grand announcements declaring that the "interpreted word" was NOT complete until Lee published his set of commentaries.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #7
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
That is where you, Igzy and I all agree.

Since the NT is complete and we are to "keep the fellowship of the apostles" it puts the fellowship of the apostles above any present day apostle, as a result an apostle might have the authority to raise up churches and appoint elders, but if he steps outside of the bounds of the fellowship of the apostles his authority is trumped by the NT.

If we all agree with that then I think the three of us are all in agreement on the crucial points. From my understanding Igzy is happy to consider anything else a matter of semantics and for myself I still consider that the Lord gives apostles applies today.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #8
Drake

Quote:
That is where you, Igzy and I all agree.

Since the NT is complete and we are to "keep the fellowship of the apostles" it puts the fellowship of the apostles above any present day apostle, as a result an apostle might have the authority to raise up churches and appoint elders, but if he steps outside of the bounds of the fellowship of the apostles his authority is trumped by the NT.

If we all agree with that then I think the three of us are all in agreement on the crucial points. From my understanding Igzy is happy to consider anything else a matter of semantics and for myself I still consider that the Lord gives apostles applies today.
ZNP,

It is possible that we agree on more than is apparent not just here in this note but elsewhere. However, I have learned to wait until I hear the whole argument because more often than not what sounds like agreement is quickly followed by Brother bashing at which point I realize I cannot agree with that even if I might agree on some points. It’s like you might agree with some points about racial bias, want to lend some support......then someone smashes a window, grabs a flat screen, and you regret having any sympathy at that point. A greater principle kicks in.

Drake
Old 03-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #9
TLFisher

Quote:
What is the actual meaning when one utilizes the phrase "fellowship of the Apostle's"?
To any Christian if you said "fellowship of the Apostles" one would transparently refer to NT scripture.
In LC circles the phrase would tend to be more opaque than it would be transparent. What causes the phrase to be opaque is it could be used as what NT scripture says or as LSM's interpretation of NT scripture.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #10
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
What is the actual meaning when one utilizes the phrase "fellowship of the Apostle's"?
To any Christian if you said "fellowship of the Apostles" one would transparently refer to NT scripture.
In LC circles the phrase would tend to be more opaque than it would be transparent. What causes the phrase to be opaque is it could be used as what NT scripture says or as LSM's interpretation of NT scripture.
I mean the NT.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #11
Cal

Quote:
I didn't accept you to expect it.

Thus far, however, I haven't heard a compelling argument to believe that if someone claims to an Apostle these days I'm just supposed to let him come in and order my church around. That seems a recipe for disaster. Think for example of... the LCM movement!

I need evidence of Apostleship. Lee didn't have it. At best he was an ambitious teacher. He wasn't a true Apostle. If he was, he was the most scandal-ridden one in history!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #12
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post

Thus far, however, I haven't heard a compelling argument to believe that if someone claims to an Apostle these days I'm just supposed to let him come in and order my church around. That seems a recipe for disaster. Think for example of... the LCM movement!

I need evidence of Apostleship. Lee didn't have it. At best he was an ambitious teacher. He wasn't a true Apostle. If he was, he was the most scandal-ridden one in history!
Igzy,

I would defer to Pauls argument in 2 Corinthians chapters 12 and 13. It is His speaking in us through the apostle.

Drake
Old 03-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #13
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
I know, spellcheck is my worst enema!