Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Writings of Former Members > Polemic Writings of Nigel Tomes

Old 07-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
Ohio

Default Re: LSM’s Contradictary Rapture Teaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
Now Ohio and fair-minded readers,

Read the above quotes a few times. The juxtaposition of these two quotes show that Tomes flipped the order of what Witness Lee said, then twisted Witness Lee's direct statements to make it sound as if Witness Lee embraced this concept fully, and then Tomes exhibiting the shoddiest research and scholarship claimed that Witness Lee built a prophecy to predict the year the Lord would return!!!
Cassidy, you should bring this up with Mr. Tomes. I think every writer should be open to an honest challenge. Challenges are healthy in that they confront the real issues and bring to light what is the truth.

I have tried to be fair with WL and other LC leaders with every post. I regret that I did not fairly evaluate what I was taught in the Recovery for decades. I trusted all the brothers, and some violated that trust in a serious way. No one is above the scrutiny of an honest inquiry. The Bible tells us to "prove all things, hold on to what is good." Too bad we never had such a testing spirit with LC leaders.

If you think WL's writings have been maligned in this article, I would suggest that you dialog with Nigel Tomes directly. I can say, based on my limited contact with him, that he is far more humble than those leaders which I have met at LSM and Cleveland.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Cassidy, you should bring this up with Mr. Tomes. I think every writer should be open to an honest challenge. Challenges are healthy in that they confront the real issues and bring to light what is the truth.

I have tried to be fair with WL and other LC leaders with every post. I regret that I did not fairly evaluate what I was taught in the Recovery for decades. I trusted all the brothers, and some violated that trust in a serious way. No one is above the scrutiny of an honest inquiry. The Bible tells us to "prove all things, hold on to what is good." Too bad we never had such a testing spirit with LC leaders.

If you think WL's writings have been maligned in this article, I would suggest that you dialog with Nigel Tomes directly. I can say, based on my limited contact with him, that he is far more humble than those leaders which I have met at LSM and Cleveland.
That is fine Ohio.

Would welcome Tomes to join this dialogue.

No better place than right here.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
That is fine Ohio.

Would welcome Tomes to join this dialogue.

No better place than right here.
The first step, according to Matthew 16 is to "go to your brother."

Private dialog is always a preferable first step.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
The first step, according to Matthew 16 is to "go to your brother."

Private dialog is always a preferable first step.
I'm not offended.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

Firstly, this is an open, public forum. Nigel provided the paper to me to post on this open, public forum, and I'm quite sure he did so with the full expectation that there would be some amount of debate regarding it's content. Tomes is a longtime veteran of academia, and as such would expect nothing less than a healthy, contentious challenge from those with opposing views.

Secondly, I don't see where anybody has gotten "personal" (yet), or thrown any punches below the belt, so I don't think there is any cause for anybody to be offended, or any need for private fellowship or apologies.

Now all this being said, I would invite Nigel to come and respond, but I certainly understand why he may not have the time or heart to do so.
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote