Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Orthodoxy - Christian Teaching

Old 10-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
Sons to Glory!

Default Re: Outer Darkness?

I was reading some links an ex-LC brother (Terry Risenhoover) recently sent me to various writings by the Plymouth Brethren. In one of these a brother named Kelly takes on Govett for his view that the unfaithful servant goes into Hades for a thousand years. Evidently, and I haven't confirmed this in his writings, Govett held this view.

Govett pastored at the Surrey Chapel until his death. M.E. Barber fellowshiped there and she strongly influenced Nee. This may be where WL got this view -- that believers will spend 1,000 years in outer darkness (or Hades).

I appreciate how Govett writes with good clarity, but if he holds this view I don't think I can agree with him on this. At least not with the current light I've been given . . .

But I also appreciate the differing views as this is a meatier subject to grasp I think. Praise God that our oneness doesn't depend on agreeing on this kind of non-essential doctrine! (I'd much rather have different views than be in lockstep.)

So does anyone know for sure whether Govett held the view that those who don't have works which survived the Bema would spend 1,000 years in Hades?

(Also, for anyone interested, here is the latest and hopefully final edit of the "Faithful in a Few Things" paper. Lots of little proofings and edits by others on this version!)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bema - Faithful in a Few 10-1-18.pdf (52.2 KB, 1082 views)
Old 02-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
Drake

Default Re: Outer Darkness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons to Glory! View Post
Govett pastored at the Surrey Chapel until his death. M.E. Barber fellowshiped there and she strongly influenced Nee. This may be where WL got this view -- that believers will spend 1,000 years in outer darkness (or Hades).
Hi StG,

Sorry for the delay on your questions.... That is a misunderstanding for neither Watchman Nee or Witness Lee taught that the outer darkness = Hades.

"The outer darkness outside of the Lord’s glory is neither the lake of fire nor the section of torment in Hades where all the perished sinners are (Luke 16:26, 23a, 28). It is a place of dispensational punishment for the defeated believers." Basic Lessons on Service, Witness Lee

As to Govett you will have to provide a reference with a quote or a scripture and then I can explore my library and its resources. I believe I have all of Govett's works but do not recall him making that remark.

Drake
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote