Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Introductions and Testimonies

Introductions and Testimonies Please tell everybody something about yourself. Tell us a little. Tell us a lot. Its up to you!

Old 01-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
NewManLiving

Default Re: How Much To Throw Out?

What about NYCYPCD songs? Very well done, orchestrated, Vessels of Mercy is one of my favorite CDs. Not all of them are ministry centered. A good deal are Christ-centered love/worship compositions. Apparently, if my memory serves me, a brother in New York is a music major - am I correct? I see him on YouTube. Appears to have other interests as well. They also have a radio station and app - Hymns Radio
NewManLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
HERn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewManLiving View Post
What about NYCYPCD songs? Very well done, orchestrated, Vessels of Mercy is one of my favorite CDs. Not all of them are ministry centered. A good deal are Christ-centered love/worship compositions. Apparently, if my memory serves me, a brother in New York is a music major - am I correct? I see him on YouTube. Appears to have other interests as well. They also have a radio station and app - Hymns Radio
That reminds me that when I was in the recovery I liked the NYCYPCD (and other localities) much more than the LSM sponsored tapes which sounded stilted and too professional. Anymore I think that anything that LSM touches gets killed or deadened.

Last edited by HERn; 01-15-2016 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Added a word.
HERn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
NewManLiving

I still use the RC Bible as I really do enjoy it - even the footnotes at times when I need a quick reference ( don't always agree with them ). Anyway I ordered the audio bible from them a couple of years ago. Could not listen for long. it seemed like the reader had no feelings one way or the other - very monotone - could have been because of the poor quality of the recording.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
JJ

Quote:
I still use the RC Bible as I really do enjoy it - even the footnotes at times when I need a quick reference ( don't always agree with them ). Anyway I ordered the audio bible from them a couple of years ago. Could not listen for long. it seemed like the reader had no feelings one way or the other - very monotone - could have been because of the poor quality of the recording.
Yes, I also still use the RC Bible too, but not exclusively. I use Nestle's Greek interlinear and other versions (Blue Letter Bible and Bible Gateway, both on line, are fantastic to see how others have translated and commented on God's wonderful word).

There is no way God's word should be taken in a deadpan way..... too exciting (joy unspeakable and full of glory!).
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERn View Post
That reminds me that when I was in the recovery I liked the NYCYPCD (and other localities) much more than the LSM sponsored tapes which sounded stilted and too professional. Anymore I think that anything that LSM touches gets killed or deadened.
I am still surprised that LSM didn't try to shut down NYCYPCD. Not that they could, but it seems like it would have been an easy target.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:18 PM   #6
JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
I am still surprised that LSM didn't try to shut down NYCYPCD. Not that they could, but it seems like it would have been an easy target.
I don't know anything about NYCPCD. Can you tell me what it is, and why it is so good?
Old 01-16-2016, 03:51 AM   #7
NewManLiving

If I recall correctly, NYCYPCD (New York City Young People CD) is based in the Church In New York. Their earlier music was standard LC hymns or supplemental music ( when the supplement was around). Over the last couple of years they have become quite polished and have incorporated an orchestra. Those that play instruments are very good - even expert. I believe one of the ( elders ?) in NY arranges and coordinates their music ministry. They have kept the generic name NYCYPCD. They only released one CD under the the label Vessels of Mercy. I was so helped by this CD and noticed that they never played anything from it on their Hymns Radio. So I sent an e-mail asking why. Their response was that they (Vessels of Mercy) do not wish to be on the radio. However, the singers to me appear to be the same or a subset of those on the NYCYPCD so I do not know what is going on there. They never did release another CD under that label but continue to do so under the NYCYPCD label. You can find their music on ITunes , Google etc. much of it is on YouTube. The recent recordings are very good. You can create a playlist of some excellent worship and love songs for yourself and skip over the ministry songs. Although there are not all that many die-hard ministry songs
Old 01-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
JJ

Quote:
If I recall correctly, NYCYPCD (New York City Young People CD) is based in the Church In New York. Their earlier music was standard LC hymns or supplemental music ( when the supplement was around). Over the last couple of years they have become quite polished and have incorporated an orchestra. Those that play instruments are very good - even expert. I believe one of the ( elders ?) in NY arranges and coordinates their music ministry. They have kept the generic name NYCYPCD. They only released one CD under the the label Vessels of Mercy. I was so helped by this CD and noticed that they never played anything from it on their Hymns Radio. So I sent an e-mail asking why. Their response was that they (Vessels of Mercy) do not wish to be on the radio. However, the singers to me appear to be the same or a subset of those on the NYCYPCD so I do not know what is going on there. They never did release another CD under that label but continue to do so under the NYCYPCD label. You can find their music on ITunes , Google etc. much of it is on YouTube. The recent recordings are very good. You can create a playlist of some excellent worship and love songs for yourself and skip over the ministry songs. Although there are not all that many die-hard ministry songs
Thanks for the explanation. I checked them out. Yes, their current music is definitely from the Hymnal and song books of the Local Churches.

Last edited by JJ; 01-16-2016 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Update response
Old 01-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
Freedom

Does anyone know if WL spoke anything specific about music? I am curious what he had to say if he did. I am certainly aware of the LC stigmas about non-sanctioned music and instruments. I have played guitar in LC meetings for a long time.

It seems to me that those of us who have participated in LC music services have tried to make the best of a less-than-desirable setting. What I mean by that is embellishing the music in a way that makes it 'enjoyable', yet keeping things under the radar. Music is music. Those in the LC who legalize music are ignorant.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #10
Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I don't know anything about NYCPCD. Can you tell me what it is, and why it is so good?
NewManLiving pretty much summed it up. I wouldn't say that the NYCYPCD music was my taste, but the quality of the arrangements was better than anything LSM put out. They also used instruments besides piano and guitar.

The music itself was acceptable for LCers as it didn't feature any strong rhythmic arrangements or things like electric guitar.