Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Orthopraxy - Christian Practice

Old 08-20-2019, 07:11 AM   #1
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

Default Re: Eating & Drinking Jesus Daily - Who emphasizes this besides the LC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons to Glory! View Post
I'm convinced that eating and drinking Christ is something beyond just a mental comprehension, and is something of the Spirit that actually nourishes our spirit deep within. Many times, it seems, this nourishing is something that's connected to my mouth, that is I often get more fed spiritually, when speaking the word or singing or praying aloud.
But I have to say that the LC is one of the few places that I've heard about this (except here in Scottsdale) over the years. Different ones certainly mention the significance of the Lord's Table, but I don't know I've heard eating and drinking related much to my daily walk with Christ - that is, to eat Him on a daily basis that I might live by Him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
I think it's a great mercy to see that and to learn how to eat, drink, absorb and enjoy the Lord... daily! (And I agree, I don´t think there are many places that teach this or practice this on a daily basis.)
I think may of us are still waiting to hear about the "this" that our friend Sons to Glory! is speaking of. And we're still waiting to get the details about what Raptor means by "teach this" or "practice this". When pressed for details, Sons to Glory! describes what protestant Christians have teaching and practicing for 2,000 plus years. Nothing different.

StoG, just this past Sunday morning, at the fellowship I attend, I believe that the 800+ brothers and sisters experienced "something of the Spirit that actually nourished our spirit deep within". And you know how this happened? By the speaking of the Word, and by singing and praying aloud! Sound familiar? It should because this is exactly what you have described. And I'll tell you what, I have seen and experienced this at many different churches and ministries over the past 20+ years.

So again, I am simply asking you brothers to come down from the heavens and get practical with us. Tell us exactly what you mean by "eating and drinking" and "learning how to eat, drink, absorb and enjoy the Lord". Since you keep telling us that you don't see anywhere else where this is taught and practiced except in the Local Church (and Scottsdale I guess), it must be something above and beyond what you have thus far stated. So let's hear it!

-
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
[COLOR="Navy"]I think may of us are still waiting to hear about the "this" that our friend Sons to Glory! is speaking of. And we're still waiting to get the details about what Raptor means by "teach this" or "practice this". When pressed for details, Sons to Glory! describes what protestant Christians have teaching and practicing for 2,000 plus years. Nothing different.
Witness Lee's skill was in marketing. Repackaging fundamental truths in a way that tells the story that is catchy and creative while also being simple and consistent. Churches have kept the Lord's table for 2,000 years, but "eating Jesus is the way" repackages that truth and makes it fun to open that package.

Also, he knew who his target market was -- disaffected youth who were familiar with the Bible in a superficial way. Imagine, 20, 30 years later still thinking there was something "new" and "unique" in the "eating Jesus is the way" message.

The saints I meet with emphasize "praise and worship". Just as enjoyable, a little more reverential.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:49 AM   #3
Cal

Anyone who is experiencing the Lord in any kind of spiritual way is eating and drinking. Eating and drinking are not separate from any other inward spiritual experience. It's all part of the same thing. It's all just different ways to describe all that God is to us. He is all in all. It's impossible to experience him in any way and still feel empty or dry. It's impossible to experience him and not eat and drink.

So in fact, any group that talks about relationship with God is talking about eating and drinking.

Here's a way of looking at it. My experience of my family is a kind of food to me. I love being with them and having fun with them. It feeds me in a way. But I don't call it "eating and drinking." I call it being with my family. But it's still a kind of eating and drinking. So also with God. You don't have to call it eating and drinking to have the reality of those things.

Ironically, those in the LR don't actually eat and drink enough. If they did, they'd be more interested in the reality rather than being top dog and having the best jargon. Jesus rebuked those who cared more for getting the details right than having the reality (Matt 23:23).

Some who have left the LR still need to learn this.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #4
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
Here's a way of looking at it. My experience of my family is a kind of food to me. I love being with them and having fun with them. It feeds me in a way. But I don't call it "eating and drinking." I call it being with my family. But it's still a kind of eating and drinking. So also with God. You don't have to call it eating and drinking for it to have the reality of those things.
I grew weary of the unending back and forth on this thread, but I can surely agree with this!
Old 08-20-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
Cal

Don't get hung up on specifics. You'll miss out on seeing the whole thing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LO..._zXwY5jJOUAytu
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #6
aron

Quote:
You quoted "Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God." (post #107) I think the 'every word' part was meant literally by Jesus - he didn't have a shifting section of "fallen concepts" that he relegated whatever scriptures he wanted to ignore that day. Witness Lee, however, made that mistake. Let's not follow him.

One of the biggest problems I see in exegesis is misapplication. Words that were fulfilled by Messiah Yeshua (aka 'Jesus') were mistakenly said to be of the "NT believers enjoying grace", to use the RecV footnote verbiage. But rather, I contend that Jesus is the proverbial "man" who "lives by ... every word that proceeds from the mouth of God". Not you or I or Preacher Bob down the street. Jesus lived by every.. single.. word. His 'eating' was obedience. He literally "lived by" the word of God. Every word. That was his 'food' - he made that explicit in John 4:34.

Now, our 'food' was to believe into him. He's the Chosen One. He fulfilled the prophetic word. We believe this. To me, it's pretty simple, and one can easily "see the whole thing", to use your term. The ''specifics'' that StG put in his thread title: "Eating and Drinking Jesus Daily [as] emphasized by the LC" are unsubstantiated by scripture.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #7
aron

A Righteous Man living by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.

Psalm 23, by David the King.

1 The Lord [the Father] is my shepherd, I [the Christ] lack nothing.
2 [The Father] makes me [Christ] lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 [The Father] refreshes my soul.
He guides me [the Christ] along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I [Jesus Christ the Lord] walk [as a man on earth]
through the darkest valley,
I [Jesus Christ] will fear no evil,
for you [my Father who art in heaven] are with me [Christ];
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You [Father God] prepare a table before me [Christ the Son]
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil [Jesus is 'Christos', the Anointed King/Priest];
my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I [Jesus Christ] will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

Jesus taught, "In my Father's house are many abodes [rooms/mansions/pavilions]; I go to prepare a place for you". If we see Jesus as the Obedient Lamb of God fulfilling the promises of God in the prophetic utterances of the holy men of old, we now have the "rich entrance" laid before us. Our faith in this scriptural 'fact' becomes our 'food' to sustain us for the journey. We see the Lamb, by faith, and live, and he becomes our Shepherd. But we must keep our eyes on him. Not on ourselves!

The Protestant and post-protestant world invites the believers to mistakenly think it's about them. Somehow they, in their experiences, are fulfilling God's plan. Listen to the modern Christian song - typically all about the believer. Not about Jesus Christ. But I daresay that the "I" of scripture is Christ. The modern hymn-writer (and singer) sings about "you" (Jesus) and "me" (the believer) but they have mistakenly transposed themselves and their focus. Their faith, and attention, have become misplaced. The relationship of the Son on Earth with the Father in Heaven, the invitation ingrained in Psalm 23 and elsewhere, which should dominate our consciousness, is nearly ignored.

The rest of us do occasionally fulfill God's mandate, but occasionally we don't! One moment the Lord Jesus can say that we're channeling the Father's revelation (Matt 16:17), and next minute we're channeling Satan (Matt 16:23). So don't trust your experiences, however 'enjoyable' and 'real' they seem at present. Only the experiences of Jesus have passed fully through the fire, and the veil. Let his food (doing the Father's will) be your food (your faith). That is the 'sure peg' that we can hang our soul upon (Isa 22:23).

A little gospel lesson: if you drive cross the country, and help little old ladies cross streets and pull people out of ditches and rescue cats from trees, and somewhere outside Enid OK you lose your temper and kill a man, when you get to California the Judge won't want to talk about all the "enjoyment" you had along the way. He'll call you a Murderer. So don't trust your experiences. The Righteous Judge knows all. Place your attention, your focus, your hope on the One who is the Spotless Lamb of God. Only his journey is true.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #8
Ohio

Quote:
Keeping your clips "short, quick, living, and to the point."

Flying saucers. Don't want to miss them.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:55 PM   #9
OBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Ironically, those in the LR don't actually eat and drink enough. If they did, they'd be more interested in the reality rather than being top dog and having the best jargon.
A few years back now, I had a nephew (in the LC) say to me at a large family gathering that saying it better improves the experience of Christ. He was tentatively eager to engage in a serious discussion of the claim, but then never actually showed up when we got a place set up to do it online (private group on Facebook). I promised myself to be focused and kind in the exchange, but there was never a single interaction.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #10
Sons to Glory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
A few years back now, I had a nephew (in the LC) say to me at a large family gathering that saying it better improves the experience of Christ. He was tentatively eager to engage in a serious discussion of the claim, but then never actually showed up when we got a place set up to do it online (private group on Facebook). I promised myself to be focused and kind in the exchange, but there was never a single interaction.
I wonder if he was "coached" not to engage with you?
Old 05-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #11
Sons to Glory!

So I've been thinking about what positive things I actually got out of the LC (rather than focusing on the things that were downers). Because OBW had posted something recently on this old thread, I was reminded of it and went back and reread the entire thread. I was quite impressed by the (mostly) healthy exchange on here regarding this topic! (I will say it is somewhat fascinating seeing how much we can go around and around something when we've misjudged or misinterpreted what others have said, isn't it!?)

To continue the thought of this thread (and not start yet another one), eating and drinking falls into the realm of something we must take action to do ourselves, whether in the physical or spiritual. There are many instances in the New Testament where we are told of our responsibility to use our own free will and perform. Accordingly, to get nourishment we must "Rise . . . kill and eat!" (Acts 10:13) In order to enjoy the feast that is made ready we must first "come!" (Luke 14:17) Yes, the riches of Christ are already there, but to enjoy we must first choose to take them. He will come in to dine with us, but before we can enjoy that wonderful experience we must open the door. (Rev 3:20) Therefore, there has to be some response on our part to His calling us. (does He not even provide us with the living hunger for Him? This is evident because dead people don't get hungry.)

Some verses that have come to mind regarding this recently, regarding taking the initiative in our pursuit of Him.

"For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you . . ." 2 Tim 1:6

"work out your salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God who works in you to will and to act on behalf of His good purpose . . . " Phil 2:12-13

"exercise thyself rather unto godliness." 1 Tim 4:7

"whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." Rev 22:17

"The spirit of the prophets is subject to the prophets." 1 Cor 14:32

If there was anything positive that I got out of my time with the LC, it was that we are not called to sit back and be mere spectators in this grand masterpiece of God. We are called to actively participate in what He has done and has provided. "Rise Peter! Kill and eat!" Therefore we should sing, pray, worship, fellowship and walk in the good works He has prepared for us with our whole being engaged - body and soul and spirit!

In conclusion, I think perhaps my biggest positive takeaway from the LC was that I don't have to wait around for someone else to feed me while I spiritually starve, but rather I can take the initiative to enjoy what God has already provided me in Christ, the Bread of Life.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #12
Sons to Glory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
So again, I am simply asking you brothers to come down from the heavens and get practical with us. Tell us exactly what you mean by "eating and drinking" and "learning how to eat, drink, absorb and enjoy the Lord". Since you keep telling us that you don't see anywhere else where this is taught and practiced except in the Local Church (and Scottsdale I guess), it must be something above and beyond what you have thus far stated. So let's hear it!
Not sure what else I could say other than what I've previously conveyed of my practical, ongoing experience, a few times on here already (and cited these specific posts too) right?

And you , and others are right - it's not anything really different than what many are experiencing. That is, enjoying Jesus is the same as being nourished in Spirit. (right?) Hopefully as we are all pursuing Him we find ways daily to seek Him, be nourished and walk in spirit (all pretty much the same thing, right?). So in that respect all may be practicing the eating and the drinking . . . but are just not using that same terminology (perhaps). (and they may not realize they are "eating" Christ . . .)

FranklyM, in a walk I took this morning and while speaking to the Lord, these verses came to me (this is from memory, so no citations):

"He prepares a table before me in the presence of my enemies."

"I am the true bread that comes down from heaven that a man may eat and live." "He that is eating of Me shall live because of Me."

"Give us this day our daily bread."

"Do this in remembrance of Me."

"Be diligent to enter that rest."

My comments on above verses:
He spreads a table for us to eat in front of our enemies. Do our enemies then go away forever when we've eaten once? No. Neither does He stop spreading the table for us to eat.

No example/principle of eating I've seen is ever once for all. John 6:57 has been mentioned on here before - "He that eats Me shall live because of Me" - "eats" is well translated as "feeds" or "is eating." Look it up. It is not a singular, one time event.

How is "Give us this day our daily bread" a one time thing? And how do we "Do this in remembrance of Me" - just once? The idea is to keep on remembering and we do that by eating over and over and over.

Lastly, as per Hebrews 4:11, how is being "diligent to enter that rest" a one time thing? It is not - it is continual. Yes, He did it all, and spread a table before us. We are to come to Him and eat. And eat. And eat. When we remember, we eat again. We get busy with stuff, then eat again. We are to be diligent to enter all that He has already done: His one-time sacrifice and gift of righteousness AND His continually indwelling Spirit, which encourages us and nourishes us daily (if we eat of Him).

Hope that's a help Jo/Frankly, et. al.!