Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Oh Lord, Where Do We Go From Here?

Oh Lord, Where Do We Go From Here? Current and former members (and anyone in between!)... tell us what is on your mind and in your heart.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
brad

Default I'm a mormon/ex mormon videos on youtube

Has anyone seen these? Over the past few months I've noticed a lot of these "I'm a ____, ____, and ______, and I'm a mormon" videos in the promotion section on youtube.

http://youtu.be/MiX5H33SZ2k

Anyway, there's now a group that posts "I'm an ex mormon" videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/iamanexm.../4/rDPSjMCb6O8

I'm sure many here can relate to the testimonies shared and feel encouraged to see how other have struggled through the isolation and challenges of transitioning out of a pretty tight-knit fellowship. Check it out.
brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
Ohio

Default Re: I'm a mormon/ex mormon videos on youtube

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad View Post
I'm sure many here can relate to the testimonies shared and feel encouraged to see how other have struggled through the isolation and challenges of transitioning out of a pretty tight-knit fellowship. Check it out.

Hey Brad,

I like the quote from WL in your signature line. Can you reference it?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
NeitherFirstnorLast

You know, it occurs to me that if one can identify WL as the "Minister of the Age" because he preached something unique which you would hear 'nowhere else', then one could also call Joseph Smith the "Minister of the Age" because surely he did likewise!

I think both men were talking out of their hats.
NeitherFirstnorLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Hey Brad,

I like the quote from WL in your signature line. Can you reference it?
Just click the link. It's on the page:
http://www.local-church-characterist...onnections.htm
One other factor is a test of a genuine local church. There may be a Christian group that has no particular name, no particular fellowship, and no particular teaching. Their fellowship is universal, not isolated, and they do not have a separate administration. Although they pass all these tests, do not be quick to say that they are a true local church. It is still possible that this group has a hidden connection with another organization. They are like a kite in the air: someone on the ground is holding the string. How high the kite flies does not depend upon the kite; it depends upon the one holding the string... One group said, “We are exactly the same as you. We have no particular name, particular teaching, or particular fellowship. Our fellowship is universal, and we do not insist upon having a separate administration.” When we heard this, we thought it was wonderful. However, we eventually learned that this group was connected to an organization in England. The kite was flying in China, but the one who held the string was in England.
The church is a pure golden lampstand, but any group that has a hidden connection with another organization is not pure. Rather, it is cloudy, opaque. The church, on the contrary, must be transparent and crystal clear. The New Jerusalem is a transparent city. Even the gold in the New Jerusalem is clear as glass (Rev. 21:18). In this city there is nothing opaque.
Whenever you meet a Christian group, you must check whether it has a particular name, a particular fellowship, a particular teaching, a fellowship that is not universal, a separate administration, or a hidden connection with another organization. If any group can pass all six tests, then the group must be all right.
(Witness Lee, Young People's Training, 194-195)

brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
11of101
Banned

Why no "I'm an ex LSM/LC" on youtube? Are we faceless? My excuse - I got no webcam.
11of101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Ohio

Quote:
Just click the link. It's on the page:
http://www.local-church-characterist...onnections.htm
I think we forgot that LSM is not an organization but an organism.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:52 AM   #7
rayliotta

Quote:
Although they pass all these tests, do not be quick to say that they are a true local church. It is still possible that this group has a hidden connection with another organization. They are like a kite in the air: someone on the ground is holding the string. How high the kite flies does not depend upon the kite; it depends upon the one holding the string... One group said, “We are exactly the same as you. We have no particular name, particular teaching, or particular fellowship. Our fellowship is universal, and we do not insist upon having a separate administration.” When we heard this, we thought it was wonderful. However, we eventually learned that this group was connected to an organization in England. The kite was flying in China, but the one who held the string was in England.
(Witness Lee, Young People's Training, 194-195)
Oh, the irony! Oh, the layers upon layers of irony!
rayliotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:54 AM   #8
rayliotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11of101 View Post
Why no "I'm an ex LSM/LC" on youtube? Are we faceless? My excuse - I got no webcam.
Dude, do a voice-over on a Star Trek: TOS clip.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 AM   #9
11of101
Banned

RayLiotta,

Somehow I think my cockney accent would not have the right effect for a Star Trek clip. I'm more a DS9 fan. Religion's power is a recurring theme throughout. Marc Alaimo as Gul Dukat has a great voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poE3tUIgu2A

This is from season 7, episode 9. hmm, 7, 9, 7of9

11of101 calling 7of9. Do you read me, over. 7of9 please respond. I'm tired of being a member of the Body. I'd much rather be a member of yours. you have the finest set of data nodes my ocular implants have ever detected. Leave Voyager and join me at DS9. Together we can start a borg colony of our own.
11of101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #10
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayliotta View Post
Oh, the irony! Oh, the layers upon layers of irony!
Layers and layers of hypocrisy!

NFNL found this out first hand. In the beginning it was Christ only Christ which attracted him to the LC. Soon he came to find out that this church "has a hidden connection with another organization." And that organization is LSM, which demands their allegiance to them, and no other. They are allowed to initially hide that "hidden connection," but eventually NFNL and others learned that it existed, and with the tacit approval of the members.

That by definition is hypocrisy, folks. Condemning others for "hidden connections," and then having the same yourself, but denying its existence. As I said, layers and layers of hypocrisy!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:49 AM   #11
rayliotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Layers and layers of hypocrisy!

NFNL found this out first hand. In the beginning it was Christ only Christ which attracted him to the LC. Soon he came to find out that this church "has a hidden connection with another organization." And that organization is LSM, which demands their allegiance to them, and no other. They are allowed to initially hide that "hidden connection," but eventually NFNL and others learned that it existed, and with the tacit approval of the members.

That by definition is hypocrisy, folks. Condemning others for "hidden connections," and then having the same yourself, but denying its existence. As I said, layers and layers of hypocrisy!
A full-timer once told me there's nothing wrong with the line-item veto.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:06 AM   #12
OBW

The funny thing about "hidden connections" is that almost no one else has a hidden connection. Whatever connection exists in out in the open. If you don't like the connection, you are fully aware of it. No one is hiding it.

Then there is that group (implying a connection) of allegedly autonomous assemblies that claims to answer to no one but Christ. And the only group I know like that is the LRC.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #13
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
The funny thing about "hidden connections" is that almost no one else has a hidden connection. Whatever connection exists in out in the open. If you don't like the connection, you are fully aware of it. No one is hiding it.

Then there is that group (implying a connection) of allegedly autonomous assemblies that claims to answer to no one but Christ. And the only group I know like that is the LRC.
In the end the church and the ministries of the gifted ones will have to coexist. I am not aware of many that can navigate this well. There are a lot of pitfalls.
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote