Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Introductions and Testimonies

Introductions and Testimonies Please tell everybody something about yourself. Tell us a little. Tell us a lot. Its up to you!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

I left the church three years ago after fighting with depression. That was my ah ha moment that I relised the church was not for me . They told me God will always be there and to pray so I did nothing happened . Through strength of my self I continued on . The so called saints keep telling me God gives us burdens but ones we can bear, I asked why did he give me the burden of depression to the point I wanted to kill my self . What stoped me was an old family friend her son killed himself and she posted on Facebook about her grief. I saw what it did and that gave me strength to continue on. I never did tell her she saved my life that day from reading her Facebook post. I wondered why God gave her son something he could not handle and he killed himself. The Lord is our Father.

Oh did not get me started about what they do to the sisters . Be quit sister , dress modest sister , do not talk to the brothers sister. That church puts themselves in a bubble and tried to keep people in and the world out . I hope it pops and all the world comes in. They ruined me , but I am strong . I see their tricks and lies .
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #2
kumbaya
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 244
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

I'm sorry you are hurt- I hope you can find some comfort knowing that others have gone through similar things and we're able to talk about it and come to terms with it, slowly! There's a lot on here to read, it can be overwhelming. Praying that God gives you, and us all, peace today!
kumbaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:07 AM   #3
Nell
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 945
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Thank you for telling us your story. I’m so sorry for your pain. Something else we were told is not to seek help outside the LC. That is, “just call on the Lord” etc. Sometimes a good Christian counselor can help to put things into perspective. One sister wrote about the “good ol’ boy” network that regulated the sisters to “put them in their place”.

I hope you will sign up and stay with us awhile.

Nell
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
Terry
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Renton, Washington
Posts: 3,222
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Oh did not get me started about what they do to the sisters . Be quit sister , dress modest sister , do not talk to the brothers sister. That church puts themselves in a bubble and tried to keep people in and the world out . I hope it pops and all the world comes in. They ruined me , but I am strong . I see their tricks and lies .
Depression is a difficult subject to talk about. People suffer on varying levels and I need to be sensitive when discussing it. How I suffer, others may suffer more.
Talking about sisters, I have a teenage daughter. Both my teenagers when they were pre-teens was the age where I did not want them to be subjected what you're talking about. I wouldn't want serving ones overstepping their bounds how to tell my daughter how to dress or who to speak to.
Personally need to feel comfortable speaking with the opposite gender. How you cause a person to be dysfunctional is to say don't talk to boys, don't talk to girls. Once as adolescents you form a young person with a trails of do not's, it may take them years to recover if at all. In my opinion serving ones have been too careless in their zeal to serve young brothers and young sisters. Parents too have been careless in relinquishing their parental responsibility as some sort of "being one with the serving ones".
I may share a photo from my Facebook timeline what I consider to be normal healthy human environment for young brothers and sisters from Lakeside Bible Camp my children attended some years back.
__________________
"Even a neutral has a right to take account of facts, even a neutral cannot be asked to close his mind or close his conscience."- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:52 PM   #5
awareness
Moderator of Alternative Views
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,240
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
I hope you will sign up and stay with us awhile.

Nell
Me too. And I too am sorry for your pain. Maybe LCD can be cathartic.
__________________

"If Christianity is going to survive in the 21st century . . . it must learn to laugh at itself." -Rene Girard
awareness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #6
HERn
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 754
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I left the church three years ago after fighting with depression. That was my ah ha moment that I relised the church was not for me . They told me God will always be there and to pray so I did nothing happened . Through strength of my self I continued on . The so called saints keep telling me God gives us burdens but ones we can bear, I asked why did he give me the burden of depression to the point I wanted to kill my self . What stoped me was an old family friend her son killed himself and she posted on Facebook about her grief. I saw what it did and that gave me strength to continue on. I never did tell her she saved my life that day from reading her Facebook post. I wondered why God gave her son something he could not handle and he killed himself. The Lord is our Father.

Oh did not get me started about what they do to the sisters . Be quit sister , dress modest sister , do not talk to the brothers sister. That church puts themselves in a bubble and tried to keep people in and the world out . I hope it pops and all the world comes in. They ruined me , but I am strong . I see their tricks and lies .
I am so glad you are alive and talking. It might be good if you could find a woman Christian therapist to talk with, and then find a group of non-LC Christian women for fellowship. I wish you the best.
__________________
Christ cares for all His sheep in whatever group.
HERn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
Bradley
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 65
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Personally need to feel comfortable speaking with the opposite gender. How you cause a person to be dysfunctional is to say don't talk to boys, don't talk to girls. Once as adolescents you form a young person with a trails of do not's, it may take them years to recover if at all.
This is the main thing I'm still suffering from, but I'm pushing myself to get past it. All those years of not being allowed to have conversations with women take their toll! I take partner dancing lessons several times a week so I'm always talking to women now, all the time. I do bachata and kizomba, which can get quite close and intimate especially kizomba.

I don't go on many dates (I don't ask very often) but I'm feeling a lot more confident and natural in the presence of beautiful women, and am even getting the hang of flirting a little. I've made huge progress in the last year.

Only about 6 months ago I'd stutter a lot with beautiful women and I haven't done that for a long time. Also I'm a lot less needy now. No more beta male wimp! Putting that past behind me and not letting it define who I am.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #8
Igzy
Member
 
Igzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,028
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Hey Bradley,

I like the video. Sexuality is an amazingly powerful thing, isn't it?

I don't know much about you. I don't know if you are average looking, handsome or otherwise. I don't want to know and you don't have to tell me. Because it doesn't really matter.

What matters is how you feel about yourself. And you should know that you are loved by God. You should be content with yourself. You matter. You were supposed to be. God made you because he wanted a Bradley. Confidence comes from accepting yourself as God accepts you. He loved you so much he was willing to die for you. That's how much he thinks about you. How can we feel bad about ourselves when that is true?

I have two teenage sons. They are very different. One is introverted and one is extroverted. I tell them again and again: Like yourself. Never wish you were anyone else. God likes you and he made you because he wanted a YOU. Don't ever apologize for being here because you are supposed to be here. You are loved and your gift is needed. That's what God thinks about you.

Bradley, somewhere out there is a woman for you. Pray that God brings her to you. Pray every day for her. Ask God to prepare both of you to meet each other. Trust that God loves you and is in control. He will handle things.

In the meantime, enjoy every day. Relax. Be happy. Be patient. Rest in the Lord. Cultivate confidence in who you are based upon that God made you and wanted you. It's true. Every day is not easy, but every day is a gift. So enjoy your days.

Igzy
__________________
There are three kinds of people: sheep, wolves and sheep dogs. I'm a sheep dog.
Igzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #9
Bradley
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 65
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
I like the video...
I thought it was a pretty harmless gif but the LCD editors edited it out anyway. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
I don't know much about you. I don't know if you are average looking, handsome or otherwise. I don't want to know and you don't have to tell me. Because it doesn't really matter. What matters is how you feel about yourself.
Thanks. I think I'm a catch actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
And you should know that you are loved by God ... God made you because he wanted a Bradley. Confidence comes from accepting yourself as God accepts you.
I never thought of that. I like that, thanks. I forget that I am accepted by God. I mostly consider myself these days as some fallen sinner that God just rolls his eyes and puts up with me because he loves me, it never occurred to me that maybe he might actually think highly of me, like a biased father. But of course, every father is biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
Don't ever apologize for being here because you are supposed to be here.
I didn't? You assumed that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
Bradley, somewhere out there is a woman for you. Pray that God brings her to you. Pray every day for her.
I disagree. Not about there being a woman out there, there are literally millions. I disagree that God will bring one to me if I pray.

I did that before I got married. I prayed hours every day for God to give me my 'rib'. I didn't get a rib, I got a dagger between the ribs. She was abusive, frigid, and marrying her was one of the biggest regrets in my life. I stayed with her for 6 years because I thought that God had given her to me as an answered prayer, I had called her my 'God Ordained Wife' (as a play on the 'God Ordained Way'). But she turned out to be so toxic that for the longest time I was upset with God for giving me such a horrible woman. Eventually the only way I could forgive Him was to accept the cold reality that He had not given her to me, I had made my own decision to marry her. I was giving God credit for something he had nothing to do with.

Instead of praying, I'm going to get good with women. Praying does not make you good with women, being with women makes you good with women. Dating makes you good with women.

To me, praying to meet the right woman is like praying for a successful business. I mean it can't hurt to do it on top of other things, but if thats your sole business plan you're in for a rude shock. You can't just pray, you need to come up with a strategy. You need to develop skills. You need to become savvy. You need persistence. You need to invest time, effort and money. You need to know what you're talking about.

Its not that I don't trust the Lord, I do. But I feel like maybe the Lord wants me to rise to the challenge of answering some of my own prayers. He can take care of the luck side of things and keep me safe but in becoming successful (whether materially or with women) its up to me to grow and fulfill my own destiny. We've been taught in the local churches about how evil independence is for so long but I disagree with that. Look at nature: The monarch butterfly, if you help it out of its cocoon you will kill it - it needs to struggle by itself. The baby deer needs to stand up and walk independent of its parents. Fish, when they hatch, don't even meet their parents as most of them just lay eggs and swim off - its up to them to survive and grow. That struggle the children go through strengthens them to become strong, healthy adults. Even in the human world, if you spoil a kid and give them everything they want and need on a silver platter, you make them weak and useless.

I love the Lord but I don't want to sit around and be weak just trusting that the Lord will do everything for me. I can't deal with my sin so I need him to do that, but becoming irresistible to women? Finding the woman of my dreams and having her fall hopelessly head over heels in love with me? To have a healthy and satisfying relationship with an amazing sex life? Thats a different ball park. I need to be proactive to become something **worthy of women's affection**, and God can't do that for me. Thats my job. If I sit and wait for it to happen, its like a kid wanting their dad to do their math homework for them.


But yeah besides that, thanks for the encouragement.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #10
Igzy
Member
 
Igzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,028
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
Instead of praying, I'm going to get good with women.
Why should they be mutually exclusive? I think you got the wrong idea from my post. I never suggested you not work on yourself. I never suggested you be passive. I just said be at peace and trust God.

Sounds like you went to one extreme in the LCM, and now you are going to another.

Trust me on this one, however active in your endeavors you plan to be, if you don't also trust that they are God's will (which is what faith is) then they are not going to work out for the best. And the only way to know God's will is to pray. It's never hurts to let God in on your plans. It gives him the opportunity to guide you.

Anyway, sounds like you have it all figured out for yourself anyway, so best wishes.
__________________
There are three kinds of people: sheep, wolves and sheep dogs. I'm a sheep dog.
Igzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #11
Bradley
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 65
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
Why should they be mutually exclusive?
They're not. I can be both a sexual man and a spiritual man. I absolutely agree 100%, but I feel like mainstream Christianity does not agree. Mainstream Christianity would rather I be abstinent and asexual until I commit the rest of my life to one specific woman. I already did that and it didn't work out so well. You know Einstein's definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results - so I won't be making that mistake again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
I never suggested you be passive
It sounded like thats exactly what you were saying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
Ask God to prepare both of you to meet each other. Trust that God loves you and is in control. He will handle things. In the meantime, enjoy every day. Relax. Be happy. Be patient.
- Ask God to prepare (read: you shouldn't prepare yourself)
- God is in control and will handle things (read: you're not in control, you don't need to handle anything)
- In the meantime relax and be patient (read: while you wait)

To me that sounds exactly like being passive. I guess I just misinterpreted it, my bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
Trust me on this one, however active in your endeavors you plan to be, if you don't also trust that they are God's will (which is what faith is) then they are not going to work out for the best.
I do trust that God's will and my own align. God made me as a man and gave me a sex drive; whereas society, mainstream Christianity and the Local Church Movement taught me not to approach women or be sexual with them. Who should I believe? I choose to believe God. But not in the way society, mainstream Christianity or the LCM would have me believe Him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
Sounds like you went to one extreme in the LCM, and now you are going to another.
Probably yeah. But thats what I want to do.




Anyways, apologies to the original dude for hijacking his introduction thread! We totally changed the subject.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #12
awareness
Moderator of Alternative Views
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,240
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
They're not. I can be both a sexual man and a spiritual man.
Spiritual Man? Sounds like Watchman Nee. He was both. And even liked brothels.
__________________

"If Christianity is going to survive in the 21st century . . . it must learn to laugh at itself." -Rene Girard
awareness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #13
UntoHim
Grateful Servant
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,605
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
I like the video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
I thought it was a pretty harmless gif but the LCD editors edited it out anyway. Weird.
Sorry about that Bradley. To be honest with you, it was probably harmless for Igzy, you and me....but the thing is...we are not the only ones reading, lurking and participating on this public forum. There are women/sisters. There are probably teenage boys and girls. I have the unenviable task of taking into consideration that just about anybody could be reading/lurking on our little venue here. Thus, I have to error on the side of caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
I can be both a sexual man and a spiritual man. I absolutely agree 100%, but I feel like mainstream Christianity does not agree. Mainstream Christianity would rather I be abstinent and asexual until I commit the rest of my life to one specific woman. I already did that and it didn't work out so well. You know Einstein's definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results - so I won't be making that mistake again.
I really appreciate your candor here. I must tell you though, it is actually God's idea that we "be abstinent and asexual until I commit the rest of my life to one specific woman". Your beef is not with the religion of mainstream Christianity as much as it is with God and his Word. I do, however, really sympathize with you and the position you find yourself in, and I know that Igzy does too. Both of us have been dealt some pretty big blows in our personal lives recently, so I just wanted you to know that we are not some stone cold bystanders rooting against you. We got some skin in the game too.

Hang in there my man. God is good. And if you give him enough time he will prove that to you every time.

Your brother who is (trying his best to be) Unto Him.

-
__________________
Now Unto Him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy (Jude 24)
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #14
Igzy
Member
 
Igzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,028
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
It sounded like thats exactly what you were saying:
Here's what I tell my boys: Invite God into everything you do. Be as driven and as proactive and as aggressive and as passionate as you want to be to go after your dreams. Really go for them. Lay it all out. Just remember that God is the best friend you will ever have on the journey, so invite him in. It can't hurt, right? After all, he's the one who put those dreams in you heart. Take care, son.
__________________
There are three kinds of people: sheep, wolves and sheep dogs. I'm a sheep dog.
Igzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #15
Bradley
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 65
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
Here's what I tell my boys: Invite God into everything you do. Be as driven and as proactive and as aggressive and as passionate as you want to be to go after your dreams. Really go for them. Lay it all out. Just remember that God is the best friend you will ever have on the journey, so invite him in. It can't hurt, right? After all, he's the one who put those dreams in you heart. Take care, son.

Thanks I appreciate that
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #16
Bradley
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 65
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
Spiritual Man? Sounds like Watchman Nee. He was both. And even liked brothels.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #17
Bradley
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 65
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
It is actually God's idea that we "be abstinent and asexual until I commit the rest of my life to one specific woman". Your beef is not with the religion of mainstream Christianity as much as it is with God and his Word.
Well if that were true I would have two conflicting options, then. Be faithful to the Lord and continue to live a sexless life as I have my whole life, or completely forget about God and just go enjoy my life of sin. Caught between a rock and a hard place really, I don't want either of those.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #18
Bradley
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 65
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
Sorry about that Bradley. To be honest with you, it was probably harmless for Igzy, you and me....but the thing is...we are not the only ones reading, lurking and participating on this public forum. There are women/sisters...
Can't let women see a gif of people latin dancing, huh? QUICK, SHIELD THEIR EYES. They might like it and go to dance class and (gasp) dance with a man!!!... If I was a sister I'd be insulted.

But hey you're the boss dude, its your website you call the shots
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #19
UntoHim
Grateful Servant
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,605
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Actually, Bradley, you left out the third option - Seek God's face. Look for his will in his Word and in the circumstances that you find yourself. All the time realizing that we are in a fallen, broken world. Full redemption, full shalom has not come. It may never come in your lifetime.

So, when you find you another woman...and you will...just remember that she will be just as fallen and broken as you, me and Igzy. And she will need redemption and salvation just as much as you, me and Igzy. In your heart of hearts I know that you know this. Just sayin...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
Can't let women see a gif of people latin dancing, huh? QUICK, SHIELD THEIR EYES. They might like it and go to dance class and (gasp) dance with a man!!!... If I was a sister I'd be insulted.
I've seen "Latin dancing". My wife was a Spanish teacher for 30+ years. That stuff on that video was a whole lot more racier than any "Latin dancing" I've ever seen. Dancing with a man is one thing, that Kizomba is just plain over-the-top for a Christian based forum. The Internet is filled with sexually provocative stuff as it is. Why should women and children coming to this kind of forum have to have this splashed in front of them? Not on my watch.
-
__________________
Now Unto Him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy (Jude 24)
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #20
Igzy
Member
 
Igzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,028
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
Can't let women see a gif of people latin dancing, huh? QUICK, SHIELD THEIR EYES. They might like it and go to dance class and (gasp) dance with a man!!!... If I was a sister I'd be insulted.

But hey you're the boss dude, its your website you call the shots
It's a judgment call, Bradley. The gif obviously was emphasizing a certain movement of the woman which was, um, striking. My thought about it was, wow! what an amazing God we have to create such an, um, amazing thing.

But at the same time, I totally understand UntoHim editing it away.

That's the nature of sex in public. You look, and then you look away. In private it's a different matter.
__________________
There are three kinds of people: sheep, wolves and sheep dogs. I'm a sheep dog.
Igzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #21
awareness
Moderator of Alternative Views
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,240
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
Good one bro Bradley. I like it. But no sarcasm here. Pickup a copy of this book to see for yourself :

My Unforgettable Memories:Watchman Nee and Shanghai Local Church
https://www.amazon.com/My-Unforgetta.../dp/B00C6EHY1Q
__________________

"If Christianity is going to survive in the 21st century . . . it must learn to laugh at itself." -Rene Girard
awareness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #22
Nell
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 945
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
Can't let women see a gif of people latin dancing, huh? QUICK, SHIELD THEIR EYES. They might like it and go to dance class and (gasp) dance with a man!!!... If I was a sister I'd be insulted.
...
I am a sister, and I feel your comments mock women who may actually want to shield their eyes from such...there's nothing wrong with that. I didn't see the video, I guess it was already gone.

Rather, I appreciate UntoHim and Igzy's comments. Consider the Christian woman who may be struggling with sexual sin (or depression), who stops by this forum for a reality check and maybe some encouragement on living a holy and righteous life. Instead, she sees a video that causes her to stumble, or she reads something that causes her to stumble. Instead of shielding her eyes, she thinks...what's wrong with Latin dancing? I think I'll take a class and be sure to have a male partner. She is so far from where she wanted and expected to be.

Sexual sin is rampant in today's culture and in the church. That's why there is such a struggle. Here is what God has to say about that:

Revelation 2:14, 16 (ESV)
14 But I have a few things against you: you have some there who ... put a stumbling block before the sons of Israel, so that they might ... practice sexual immorality. ... 16 Therefore repent. If not, I will come to you soon and war against them with the sword of my mouth.


There is no compromise between the practice of sexual immorality and God's Holiness and God's ways, especially in the church. In other words, Christians can't have it both ways. As the verse says, the practice of sexual immorality is a stumbling block which cannot and should not be tolerated. I don't know which is worse, practicing sexual immorality yourself or putting this stumbling block before others, causing them to fall into sexual immorality.

This is why you're getting the push-back.

Also, the original post of this thread is by someone struggling with depression. They don't need to go Latin dancing, do they?

Nell
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:33 PM   #23
awareness
Moderator of Alternative Views
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,240
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Brother Bradley. I advise you to run from the local church, AND this LCD, or anyone that wants to replace your spiritual walk, with their personal opinions, and those that want to deny the Bible, with David, Solomon, the Sons of God, Hosea, Song of Songs, and even righteous Lot (2 Peter 2:7).

And I have to remind everyone that Untohim allowed Lily Hsu's book to be discussed, about Nee's sexual infractions :
http://localchurchdiscussions.com/vB...?t=3489&page=4
__________________

"If Christianity is going to survive in the 21st century . . . it must learn to laugh at itself." -Rene Girard
awareness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:41 AM   #24
Nell
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 945
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
Brother Bradley. I advise you to run from the local church, AND this LCD, or anyone that wants to replace your spiritual walk, with their personal opinions, and those that want to deny the Bible, with David, Solomon, the Sons of God, Hosea, Song of Songs, and even righteous Lot (2 Peter 2:7).

And I have to remind everyone that Untohim allowed Lily Hsu's book to be discussed, about Nee's sexual infractions :
http://localchurchdiscussions.com/vB...?t=3489&page=4
Bradley,

There is another option. Consider all the responses, whatever they may be, as intended for your highest good. Pray about each to see what the Lord would say to you. Let Him separate the wheat from the chaff for you.

Blessings to you--
Nell
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #25
awareness
Moderator of Alternative Views
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,240
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
Bradley,

There is another option. Consider all the responses, whatever they may be, as intended for your highest good. Pray about each to see what the Lord would say to you. Let Him separate the wheat from the chaff for you.

Blessings to you--
Nell
Amen. Blessings to you bro Bradley. And you could come "down" to Alternative Views.
__________________

"If Christianity is going to survive in the 21st century . . . it must learn to laugh at itself." -Rene Girard
awareness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #26
Igzy
Member
 
Igzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,028
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
Bradley,

There is another option. Consider all the responses, whatever they may be, as intended for your highest good. Pray about each to see what the Lord would say to you. Let Him separate the wheat from the chaff for you.

Blessings to you--
Nell
Amen to that. Praying while doing is never a bad thing, assuming you don't close your eyes while driving or something like that.
__________________
There are three kinds of people: sheep, wolves and sheep dogs. I'm a sheep dog.
Igzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:10 PM   #27
HERn
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 754
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

How is sister "unregistered " doing? I believe she initially posted about leaving the LC and depression. I hope she is finding comfort and consolation. The Father has provided many resources, 99% of which have no association with the LC or LSM.
__________________
Christ cares for all His sheep in whatever group.
HERn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #28
JJ
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 701
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
Why should they be mutually exclusive? I think you got the wrong idea from my post. I never suggested you not work on yourself. I never suggested you be passive. I just said be at peace and trust God.

Sounds like you went to one extreme in the LCM, and now you are going to another.

Trust me on this one, however active in your endeavors you plan to be, if you don't also trust that they are God's will (which is what faith is) then they are not going to work out for the best. And the only way to know God's will is to pray. It's never hurts to let God in on your plans. It gives him the opportunity to guide you.

Anyway, sounds like you have it all figured out for yourself anyway, so best wishes.
Regarding sexual immorality, to abstain from it and be sanctified by God’s Holy Spirit is God’s will. Those who have a problem with that have a problem with God.... who is the avenger in these things. Paul said so in 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8. quote below from Berean Literal Bible:
1Finally then, brothers, we implore and exhort you in the Lord Jesus, that just as you have received from us in what manner it behooves you to walk and to please God, just as even you walk now, so you should abound more. 2For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus.

3For this is the will of God, your sanctification: You are to abstain from sexual immorality; 4each of you to know how to win mastery over his own vessel in holiness and honor, 5not in the passion of lust, as also the Gentiles, not knowing God; 6not to go beyond and to overreach his brother in the matter, because the Lord is avenging concerning all these things, just as also we told you before and thoroughly warned. 7For God has not called us to impurity, but into holiness. 8So then, the one rejecting this does not disregard man but God, the One also giving His Holy Spirit to you.

Note, this doesn’t say “abstain from sex” (that’s holy in the marriage bed according to Peter and Paul).

This, and other commandments of the Lord Jesus and His Apostles “Love one another” being the first are possible in the Holy Spirit but impossible in the flesh.

Bradley, sorry, there is no fooling God, or his sanctified ones “saints” on this.
__________________
And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14 NASB)
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #29
Nell
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 945
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Regarding sexual immorality, to abstain from it and be sanctified by God’s Holy Spirit is God’s will. Those who have a problem with that have a problem with God.... who is the avenger in these things. Paul said so in 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8. quote below from Berean Literal Bible:
1Finally then, brothers, we implore and exhort you in the Lord Jesus, that just as you have received from us in what manner it behooves you to walk and to please God, just as even you walk now, so you should abound more. 2For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus.

3For this is the will of God, your sanctification: You are to abstain from sexual immorality; 4each of you to know how to win mastery over his own vessel in holiness and honor, 5not in the passion of lust, as also the Gentiles, not knowing God; 6not to go beyond and to overreach his brother in the matter, because the Lord is avenging concerning all these things, just as also we told you before and thoroughly warned. 7For God has not called us to impurity, but into holiness. 8So then, the one rejecting this does not disregard man but God, the One also giving His Holy Spirit to you.

Note, this doesn’t say “abstain from sex” (that’s holy in the marriage bed according to Peter and Paul).

This, and other commandments of the Lord Jesus and His Apostles “Love one another” being the first are possible in the Holy Spirit but impossible in the flesh.

Bradley, sorry, there is no fooling God, or his sanctified ones “saints” on this.
Excellent word JJ. In fact, the following verses continue your thoughts as to "WHY" Christians abstain from sexual immorality:

1 Cor. 3:16-20:
16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
18 Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.
19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
20 And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.


Further in I Cor. 6:16-20
15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.


Nell
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #30
awareness
Moderator of Alternative Views
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,240
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Isn't it interesting that Paul felt to warn the Thessalonians against sexual immorality?

I guess that's been a problem all the way up to Watchman Nee, and The Recovery.
__________________

"If Christianity is going to survive in the 21st century . . . it must learn to laugh at itself." -Rene Girard

Last edited by awareness; 03-24-2018 at 11:41 AM.
awareness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #31
JJ
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 701
Default Re: I Left the Church 3 Years ago after Fighting with Depression

Right. Thanks Nell and Unto Him for speaking truth in love on this matter.

While there is no prohibition against dancing in scripture, sexually suggestive movements (common in many forms of dancing today) allowed on this site that children and persons struggling with self control in this matter would see may send the wrong message about the purpose of this site (discussion of God’s truth).

Good call Unto Him. I struggled with youthful lust and pornography when I was younger, even as a Christian. But, thankfully Jesus has delivered me from that, and still does every day through the power of His Holy Spirit.

Bradley, your horrible past marriage (in which your wife made you abstain from sex and beat you according to your past posts) is not a benchmark of a proper Christian experience. That is not an excuse to think that indulging in sex outside of marriage has anything to do with God’s will for your life.

Scripture (Paul again) suggests that it is better for you to marry than to burn. Find a sister (lot’s of churches and Christian web sites have connecting opportunities for that) who respects and heeds what scripture commands with respect to sex and everything (there are many who are looking for a mate just like you) and marry her.
__________________
And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14 NASB)
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:51 AM.


3.8.9