Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Apologetic discussions

Apologetic discussions Apologetic Discussions Regarding the Teachings of Watchman Nee and Witness Lee

Old 07-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
countmeworthy

Default Open/Honest discussion on Speaking/Praying in 'Tongues'

Hi all,
As members or former members of the LC, we were not persuaded to 'speak in tongues'. Some here who were Christians before hooking up with the LC came from 'tongue speaking/praying' denominations.

What I need is people's input and experience of 'praying/speaking' in tongues. I don't need scriptures for or against as much as I need people's experiences of experiencing praying in 'tongues' before, during or after the LC life.

It is very important to me because I am often around people who are strong advocates of 'tongue speaking'. They firmily believe [based on their pastor's teachings who of course quotes the scriptures] to enforce the importance of praying in tongues. I do not bring up the subject. They do.

Many claim a person is not filled with the Holy Spirit unless they pray in tongues. Many also believe one is not truly 'baptized in the Holy Spirit unless there is the evidence of 'speaking in tongues'. I disagree with them and tell them so. That is when all hell breaks lose!

Never mind most of the people I know who advocate speaking/praying in tongues don't know how to search the scriptures. Do not know the Power of the Blood of Jesus through personal and genuine experience. Few I know who are dogmatic about speaking/praying in tongues have led people to Christ.

By FAITH, I on occasion pray in tongues believing the Holy Spirit is praying through me. Those times are the times I do not know how to pray for a specific need, be it for myself or someone else.

I get bashed a lot because I am not an advocate of praying/speaking in tongues. I do not think people are stronger believers if they pray/speak in tongues of if they do not.

Imho, what makes us strong believers is our surrender to the Word of God, Jesus our Lord, addressing HIM when we speak (but not necessarily 'calling on the Lord' as we did in the LC.)

My personal experience that has made me a 'stronger' believer/follower in Christ is my relationship with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, my prayer life which is 90% praying the Word of God back to the Lord, building up the Body of Christ as the Spirit leads and leading people to Christ again as the Spirit of God leads. I study topics prayerfully so I can be prepared to answer every person as we are encouraged to do in Colossians 4:5-6.

I find often times people (believers) respect and are amazed at how I share the Word uplifting them.

BUT... if I casually mention speaking/praying in tongues is not a big deal...oh boy. I will get lambasted for it. Same thing when I am asked 'what church' I belong to. Oh boy. After they have been so thankful for how I uplifted them, I will get a lecture for not attending 'church' regularly. "You need to find a 'home church'" I am told. Never mind they can't tell me what they're favorite scripture is.

So... my question is
Quote:
do YOU pray/speak in tongues?

Why / why not?

What is your experience around those that do?
I assume most people who have left the LC and are on this forum do not pray in tongues because they never did while in the LC. If that is the reason you do not pray/speak, that is ok.

I really want to hear from those who DO pray/speak in tongues before/during/after the LC life. ...What your thoughts are. I need suggestions, advise and counsel. Thanks friends.

Blessings and Peace,
Carol G
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
Ohio

Default Re: open/honest discussion on Speaking/praying in 'tongues'

Quote:
Originally Posted by countmeworthy View Post

I really want to hear from those who DO pray/speak in tongues before/during/after the LC life. ...What your thoughts are. I need suggestions, advise and counsel. Thanks friends.
"Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues?" -- I Cor 12.30

As a lukewarm member of a moderately "pentecostal" congregation, I am one of the minority who do not pray or worship in tongues. I have not been privately coerced regarding tongues. It does bother me that every verse in scriptures that mentions being "in Spirit" -- e.g. John 4.23 -- is interpreted as speaking in tongues. More troubling are these occasional "outbursts" of an individual shouting in a tongue, which mandates an unequally necessary "interpretation." These are nearly always canned regurgitations of blessings upon "My People" from Amos, or Nahum, or Obadiah, or somewhere. I'm not sure where. But everyone applauds and I feel stupid for not believing in it all.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
countmeworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
"Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues?" -- I Cor 12.30

As a lukewarm member of a moderately "pentecostal" congregation, I am one of the minority who do not pray or worship in tongues. I have not been privately coerced regarding tongues. It does bother me that every verse in scriptures that mentions being "in Spirit" -- e.g. John 4.23 -- is interpreted as speaking in tongues. More troubling are these occasional "outbursts" of an individual shouting in a tongue, which mandates an unequally necessary "interpretation." These are nearly always canned regurgitations of blessings upon "My People" from Amos, or Nahum, or Obadiah, or somewhere. I'm not sure where. But everyone applauds and I feel stupid for not believing in it all.

I want to hold my reservations for replying but I "CAN'T"!!! Bad-bad emotions!

See... this is why imho, as off the wall the LC was in many of their practices, while I did not understand what it really meant to walk in spirit or 'exercise our spirit' as we called it, over the years as I have grown in the Lord and in the Power of His Word and Spirit, I came to understand what it means to walk in spirit, " to exercise my spirit...which to me means praying the Word to the Lord a LOT and following the Spirit intuitively as a result of my prayer life). I know what it means to crucify the flesh, to be crucified in Christ. It is awesome ! Once you get it, that is the life we want to live! It does not mean the Lord does not want us to watch the Spurs play and beat the other teams! It does not mean we cannot watch TV, enjoy the finer things of this life. I look forward to walking and living IN Spirit 24/7! I will have a lot less problems then!!

When Jesus was speaking to the woman at the well, He told her they that worship God must worship Him IN Spirit and in Truth. She did not start speaking in tongues now did she?

I do not know if the other churches Paul spoke/wrote to spoke in tongues other than the Corinthian church but they are the church that spoke in tongues and were the most carnal bunch of them all. Every 'pastor' speaks of Corinth being carnal and most people use the 'tongue' scriptures found in the Corinthian letters. I think every one agrees that the tongues spoken of in Acts were not the babbling tongues of the charasmatic/pentecostal churches but rather languages. They spoke in an unknown tongue unto themselves but to those who spoke that language, it was understood.

I just don't get what the big hoopla is about tongue speaking and while I do not make an issue of it, I am often lectured on that to speak in tongues 'edifys oneself' to God. hmm... ok whatever. I know when I am praying IN SPIRIT, I get the same results if not better for I am praying the very WORD of God to GOD. So there!

I often ask: If you do not read the scriptures prayerfully or do not know the Word intimately (not referring to quoting scriptures) how do you know your tongue speaking is of the Holy Spirit.

Oh boy. There comes the backlash!! "It's not demonic babbling!! " I am told. I did not say it was. I am merely asking how they know it is from the Holy Spirit because I have never spontaneously 'spoken in tongues'! When I have, I force myself to 'babble' believing the Holy Spirit is praying through me. Of course, I usually 'babble' the same 'language' because I made it up. Nothing wrong with that either for we make up prayers in our own native tongue to the Lord that is not always praying the Word back to Him. So when I cannot find the words to pray in English, I will pray in 'tongues'. But it is far and few between. I am being honest here.

I explain that to them but it is not good enough.

After all. I am not smarter than a pastor am I? This is what I sometimes told. (Probably not...as 1) I am a woman 1) I am not ordained -by man-) But I AM A king and priest unto the Most High God! Revelation 1:6 and Revelation 5:10 says I am..as well as those who believe the Word. I believe it, receive it and walk in Spirit and in the Truth ! So there!!

What I do know is most true believers do not know what the scriptures mean when they read 'In Spirit' as you well pointed out Ohio my Spurs bud! Many know we are tri parted: spirit, soul and body.

Most however misquote 1 Thessalonians 5:23 and say body, soul and spirit.

I do know that those who I have led to the Lord and am discliping, teaching the Word are stronger in Christ (to the Glory and Praise of Almighty God) than those who go to 'church' and beat me over the head for not being ' tongue speaking filled'.

The reason I decided to try speaking in tongues is because I started frequenting tongue speaking churches inadvertantly. I did not join any Pentecostal or assembly of God congregations. I ended up frequenting charasmatic churches that had bands and 'a worship team'. I admit I was pressured to give in. However at the same time I was curious. I did not want to miss out on something that was from the Lord if tongues really was and I was holding back because I was taught it was not for today and the Corinthians who spoke in tongues were a very carnal church.

However there might be some here on the forum whose lives have been transformed for speaking/praying in tongues. I am quite open to hear their experiences.

Thanks Ohio!

Carol G
Old 07-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
Ohio

Quote:
I just don't get what the big hoopla is about tongue speaking and while I do not make an issue of it, I am often lectured on that to speak in tongues 'edifys oneself' to God. hmm... ok whatever. I know when I am praying IN SPIRIT, I get the same results if not better for I am praying the very WORD of God to GOD. So there!

I often ask: If you do not read the scriptures prayerfully or do not know the Word intimately (not referring to quoting scriptures) how do you know your tongue speaking is of the Holy Spirit.
Regularly used also is Jude 20 "But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit."

A while ago I learned that approx. 50% of evangelicals speak in tongues. I was surprised. And their number is growing faster than those who do not speak in tongues. What that told me is this -- tongues was the great divide -- half do and half don't -- among those who are genuine children of God.

CMW, how do they know their tongue speaking is of the Holy Spirit? Why would you ask that question? Of course, it is! It has to be! They are speaking the heavenly prayer language! It is the gift of the Spirit! Shame on you for even asking!

My wife genuinely (she says) spoke in tongues years ago, before the LC, and has not since. She gets upset when others (like me) say anything negatively about speaking in tongues. Her point is actually good -- tongues is in the Bible, and they are a gift of the Holy Spirit. End of discussion. To my knowledge, her not speaking in tongues has never been an issue with all her friends there.

We did meet with the Church of Christ for a while. One day after the meeting, out of the blue the minister starts off telling me his little spiel about "tongues have ceased." My wife started walking our way, and I indicated to him that this was not a good topic to discuss in front of her. He decided to disregard my word. She never went back. Later the minister apologized, but the damage was done. As a reaction to our former LC days, once anyone decides to critique other believers, she smells pride and, since she has a very sensitive nose, it stinks.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
countmeworthy

Quote:
Regularly used also is Jude 20 "But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit."

A while ago I learned that approx. 50% of evangelicals speak in tongues. I was surprised. And their number is growing faster than those who do not speak in tongues. What that told me is this -- tongues was the great divide -- half do and half don't -- among those who are genuine children of God.

CMW, how do they know their tongue speaking is of the Holy Spirit? Why would you ask that question? Of course, it is! It has to be! They are speaking the heavenly prayer language! It is the gift of the Spirit! Shame on you for even asking!

My wife genuinely (she says) spoke in tongues years ago, before the LC, and has not since. She gets upset when others (like me) say anything negatively about speaking in tongues. Her point is actually good -- tongues is in the Bible, and they are a gift of the Holy Spirit. End of discussion. To my knowledge, her not speaking in tongues has never been an issue with all her friends there.

We did meet with the Church of Christ for a while. One day after the meeting, out of the blue the minister starts off telling me his little spiel about "tongues have ceased." My wife started walking our way, and I indicated to him that this was not a good topic to discuss in front of her. He decided to disregard my word. She never went back. Later the minister apologized, but the damage was done. As a reaction to our former LC days, once anyone decides to critique other believers, she smells pride and, since she has a very sensitive nose, it stinks.
Amigos and amigas in Christ,

First off...remember on occasion I pray in tongues. I learned to pray in tongues being around my charasmatic Christian friends. Many have experienced a spontaneous outburst of praying in tongues when asked if they wanted to be filled with the Holy Spirit or be baptized in the Holy Spirit with fire. I never experienced that.

To your question why would I ask the question if a person's tongue speaking is the Holy Spirit praying through them when it is scriptural:

1) Just like we had people in the LC who called on the Lord, used the same LC tone and were not filled with the Spirit of Christ or His Word, and WE COULD TELL, I have been in prayer meetings (tongue prayer meetings) where people are walking around praying out loud in tongues. No English words just tongues. I could often tell when a person was truly in spirit praying in the Spirit. Others had no presence of the Lord. It was just vain babbling.

2) Is it not true that not all "believers" are born again? Just because they 'believe' in God and they pray to God, does not constitute them as born again, regenerated believers right? I used to be one of them and I more than certain I am not alone on this board with that experience.

We even have some people here who used to be in the LC, believed in God and now they don't. Really? How can a person truly have a relationship with their Creator and then deny Him. Well. I suppose if Judas Iscariot denied Jesus as his Lord, it has to still be true today. Thank God we have a very Patient and Merciful God....for right now anyway.

Is it not true that many people who pray in tongues are not filled with the Spirit but they think they are? And just as many are people who do not pray in tongues but are born again are also not filled with the Spirit? How many times have we heard people pray at the table or wherever and their prayers are just plain dead! Emotional prayers or the lack does not constitute praying -in spirit-. There has to be a deep connection to our Creator while praying. And believe me. I am not always praying in spirit when I am in prayer! Sometimes I pray from my mind or my emotions. I do try to catch myself otherwise the Holy Spirit will correct me. He's good about doing that.

3) I remember reading there are other religions whose congregants pray 'in tongues' too. Mormons, Catholic Charasmatics who still say the "Hail Mary" and pray the rosary also speak in tongues.

I just found this on a google search:

Quote:
Charles R. Smith says on pages 20-22 of his book, Tongues in Biblical Perspective:

IN NON-CHRISTIAN RELIGIONS.--Tongues occupied a significant place in ancient Greek religion. The seeress at Delphi, not far from Corinth, spoke in tongues. [ MY insert here: Perhaps that is where the Corinthians picked up speaking in tongues? Maybe huh? -]

According to Plutarch (A.D. 44-117), interpreters were kept in attendance to explain her incoherent utterances. Many scholars have stated that tongues were experienced in the mystery religions (Osirius, Mithra, Eleusinian, Dionsyian, and Orphic cults). Some have concluded that the unintelligible lists of "words" in the "magical papyri" and in certain Gnostic "prayers" are records of ecstatic utterances. About A.D. 180 Celsus reported ecstatic utterances among the Gnostics. Lucian of Samosata (A.D. 120-198) described tongues speaking as it was practiced by the devotees of the Syrian goddess, Juno.

Today shamans (witch doctors, priests, or medicine men) in Haiti, Greenland, Micronesia, and countries of Africa, Australia, Asia, and North and South America speak in tongues. Several groups use drugs to aid in inducing the ecstatic state and utterances. Voodoo practitioners speak in tongues. Buddhist and Shinto priest have been heard speaking in tongues. Moslems have spoken in tongues, and an ancient tradition even reports that Mohammed himself spoke in tongues. According to his own account, after his ecstatic experiences he found it difficult to return to "logical and intelligible speech" (Kelsey, p. 143).

And the Lord also says in Matthew 7:
Quote:
“Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. 22 On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ 23 But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you whoare workers of iniquities’
So is it not possible people who speak in tongues might suffer the same condemnation as these people noted in Matthew 7?

So while I am not saying Speaking in Tongues is not in the scriptures, I wonder why it is one of the great divides among the believers in Christ? I do not care if people pray / speak in tongues. I don't think anyone here does either. But many of those people believe the only way to be filled with the Spirit or be baptized in the Spirit is by the evidence of speaking in 'tongues'. I told a friend yesterday there is no evidence when Jesus Himself was Filled with the Holy Spirit after John baptized Him, He prayed in tongues for 40 days and nights! He rebuked Satan with the Word of God. But my friend wanted to argue with me. No biggie to me. We've been friends since first grade...and we are approaching 60 yrs young. UGH!

When I tell them I was filled with the Spirit when I got saved and did not speak in tongues I am told I was NOT filled with the Holy Spirit. Imagine that!

While I also know not everyone who gets saved is initially filled with the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit is in them when they got saved, if they truly got saved because The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of JESUS and is GOD Himself. I know I was because of my immediate transformation.

That is a judgmental attitude taken towards me. I do not criticize them for speaking/praying in tongues. I do not think either 'camp' should criticize each other for speaking in tongues or not. As true believers, we ought to build one another's Faith in The Word so they can be strong in the Lord and lead people to Christ themselves. Is that not what Jesus instructed us ALL to do when He said " Go out and disciple the nations" ?

If people speak in tongues, fine. If they do not fine too.

So my next question to you Ohio, my good friend... is why does your wife not speak in tongues now that you have left the LC and attend a tongue speaking church? I am not judging her or you. I am simply curious!

I hope others ex Lcrs or current LCrs or anyone who is a lurker will chime in too because I want to hear and learn from their experiences.

Blessings everyone!

Carol G
Old 07-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
OBW

Default Re: Open/Honest discussion on Speaking/Praying in 'Tongues'

Interesting topic.

Until just before I turned 18, I was part of the Assemblies of God (AOG), one of the original, but somewhat mainstream among charismatics. We attended one of the larger assemblies in town, so it was not hell-fire and brimstone preaching all the time. More like Pentecostal Baptists. (Not saying anything bad about Baptists.)

In my last year there, I had become somewhat disheartened that there was really so little supporting the miraculous gifts. Not that they were not there. But just not so prominent.

My memories were of things that were somewhat forced, sprinkled with events that seemed quite spontaneous and even possibly God-driven. But almost all of it was surrounding speaking in tongues. Never anything I knew to be any actual healing or other miracles.

And, now that I have read 1 Corinthians many times without the Pentecostal overlay, I can say that I do not clearly agree with the cessationists (tongues will simply cease) but cannot support the extreme push that is found in so many charismatic assemblies. None of the gifts were "advertised" as "yours for the asking," but were provided as the Spirit deemed necessary.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
countmeworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
Interesting topic.

Until just before I turned 18, I was part of the Assemblies of God (AOG), one of the original, but somewhat mainstream among charismatics. We attended one of the larger assemblies in town, so it was not hell-fire and brimstone preaching all the time. More like Pentecostal Baptists. (Not saying anything bad about Baptists.)

In my last year there, I had become somewhat disheartened that there was really so little supporting the miraculous gifts. Not that they were not there. But just not so prominent.

My memories were of things that were somewhat forced, sprinkled with events that seemed quite spontaneous and even possibly God-driven. But almost all of it was surrounding speaking in tongues. Never anything I knew to be any actual healing or other miracles.

And, now that I have read 1 Corinthians many times without the Pentecostal overlay, I can say that I do not clearly agree with the cessationists (tongues will simply cease) but cannot support the extreme push that is found in so many charismatic assemblies. None of the gifts were "advertised" as "yours for the asking," but were provided as the Spirit deemed necessary.
I am guessing you do not pray/speak un tongues. Yet you did at one time. Am I correct OBW? Were you simply disillusioned by the whole AOG experience? When you prayed in tongues especially at the off set, was it spontaneous?

Did the LC life move you away from tongues? Would you be willing to pray in tongues again today? Why or why not?

I am simply trying to figure things out.

Thanks Mike!

Blessings in abundance!

Carol G
Old 07-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Ohio

Quote:
If people speak in tongues, fine. If they do not fine too.

So my next question to you Ohio, my good friend... is why does your wife not speak in tongues now that you have left the LC and attend a tongue speaking church? I am not judging her or you. I am simply curious!
The first time was truly spontaneously of the Spirit, and unless the Lord wants her to speak in tongues again, she is content without tongues.

Tongues is a gift that some receive. If every one is speaking in tongues, then we should question whether it is the real thing, or just a performance. I would hate to think how many perform in tongues due to peer pressure.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
james73

I do not pray in tongues, but I learned to "speak in tongues" just to satisfy my own curiosity that it was nothing but a physical ability and, essentially a misguided power play by the church.

My experience was at ICA in Hong Kong, an AOG church, I was at the Alpha course "Away Weekend" and there had been a lot of talk about tongues. It was a mark of pride, a sign of "spiritual maturity" which to me (and given the characters of the people that did it) meant it was a load of nonsense. There was such a false humility in the humility in which the tongue-speakers had, they used it so glibly as if to show how easy it was to them, which only caused the others to marvel more.

One girl in particular convinced me there was something wrong with this - because she WANTED it, so bad! She was almost crying at dinner, she said "why didn't God give me this gift?" And the slightly superior church lady was at her side, "there there, we all have different gifts [but mine is better than yours]."

So, curiosity aroused, hen I got back I researched it, delved into glossolalia, found it was something quite easy to learn to do, one of those little tricks like learning to whistle or blow bubble gum, that you always feel faintly foolish practicing alone but the payoffs when back in company are huge It's really no big deal, take away the spiritual mulch, I did it pretty well in about two minutes. It's quite fun, quite novel - and if I'd been surrounded by people in awe and praising the Lord I am sure I would have found it a spiritual experience..... but I think if everybody knew how easy it was, the myth would dissolve and nobody would bother doing it.

Anyway, there are some who say it's the genuine Holy Spirit and I would never take that away from them or even disagree or debate with them - I am sure there are genuine cases, but I also think it's become a thing, a power play, an attraction or amusement ride to give the kids or newcomers something to aim at. Not far off the spiritual maturity games played by LSM, come to think of it.

I was gonna post a scientific study I found a while back but it would break copyright. A Linguistic Analysis of Glossolalia by Michael Motley, Communication Quarterly Vol 30, No. 1, Winter 1981. It found that there was significant language structure within "tongues" speaking, not related to speakers' own language and likely not coming from traditionally understood cognitive centres. The implications of that study were for language learning, they weren't examining it from the spiritual side - but that's an interesting finding and adds credence to those who would say it is from the Holy Spirit. Certainly according to those findings tongue speaking is not "made up" and is coming from somewhere deeper than the brain which controls normal language/speech. That defeats my own point somewhat but I think it's interesting - and hiding knowledge which disagrees with one's arguments is never a good strategy
james73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
OBW

Quote:
I am guessing you do not pray/speak un tongues. Yet you did at one time. Am I correct OBW? Were you simply disillusioned by the whole AOG experience? When you prayed in tongues especially at the off set, was it spontaneous?

Did the LC life move you away from tongues? Would you be willing to pray in tongues again today? Why or why not?

I am simply trying to figure things out.

Thanks Mike!

Blessings in abundance!

Carol G
The truth is that I never spoke in tongues.

I started doing some research into the basis for the teaching, primarily to be able to support it to others that I knew from other denominations.

The experience gave me a reason to be less certain. I saw the reference to speaking in tongues at Pentecost, once among the Samaritans, then at the house of Cornelius, then the parts in those three chapters of 1 Corinthians. And while I did not have the mental acuity to see the things in those three chapters that I do now, they did not simply endorse it as something for everyone.

And that bothered me.

Along with the fact that it seemed that really only a very few at our church actually did anything other than engage in some kind of random jabbering when there was a time when all were praying. Rarely was there anything that could be passed off as some kind of language. While not explicitly stated, Paul seemed to suggest that even the "groanings" of the Spirit were still words and thoughts that we were unable to come up with, not just repeated monosyllabic gibberish.

Having said that, there were some occasions when I sensed something "in the air" upon entering the sanctuary and before the service was over, someone (generally from among two or three specific people) had risen and spoke something that was more complex than the gibberish I just mentioned and someone else (or on very rare occasion, the same person) then translated it.

But even then, there was never any situation in which the language was known by someone else in the room. And virtually always, the English spoken was some kind of near-quotation of either OT (generally) scripture or a typical warning from a hell-fire kind of sermon. I don't recall anything that was unique or specifically meaningful (although years later my mom mentioned that the "warnings" were typically assumed to be for the benefit of some unsaved person there, and not for the majority of us — in other words, the assembly as a whole pitchforked it).

On the whole, nothing that stands out as a remarkable evidence that God spoke or acted. And, as I mentioned, I do not recall ever seeing any kind of actual miracle. There were stories about them in the past. Or somewhere else. But not there. Or anywhere else in the general vicinity.

I don't think that anyone is intentionally faking it in these kinds of groups (although there are plenty faking it in some groups) — just so determined that it has to be true that they believe what is otherwise unlikely. They suggest that, to begin to speak in tongues you should "help out" by jabbering. In the kind of emotionally charged environment of those prayer times, I would now be hard-pressed to accept much as genuine just because somebody "felt" something euphoric.

But at the same time, I do not deny that God can do as he pleases in these areas. But the first example was a bunch of Galilean fishermen speaking in languages that they clearly did not know while people who did know them were present. The sign was more to the hearer than the speaker. The speaker probably had little idea what was going on. And surely would make no personal claim about it. Peter surely did not. He declared that everything going on was according to God, as evidence of the truth of Christ.

Not something to make him and the others stronger in their faith or to have a special blessing.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
But even then, there was never any situation in which the language was known by someone else in the room. And virtually always, the English spoken was some kind of near-quotation of either OT (generally) scripture or a typical warning from a hell-fire kind of sermon. I don't recall anything that was unique or specifically meaningful (although years later my mom mentioned that the "warnings" were typically assumed to be for the benefit of some unsaved person there, and not for the majority of us — in other words, the assembly as a whole pitchforked it).
Had to laugh at this one. I find it interesting that a proper interpretation of tongues -- a bona fide gift of the Holy Spirit -- could be "pitchforked" by the entire congregation as hay, straw, or stubble. Another feature seems to be that the tongue-message seems to mimic the general ministry of the church. In my congregation, there is no "hell-fire" kind of sermon, and hence, none of the tongue-messages nor their interpretations are of the "hell-fire" kind. All the ones I have heard are the "blessing" kind of message.

It's actually the only part of the service which appears spontaneous and open to the members to initiate. Perhaps I am wrong. These tongue-messages and their interpretations could be planned for.

From my limited observation, tongues have 3 purposes --
  1. General praise and worship. This is both public and private.
  2. Messages given in meetings, which require someone to interpret.
  3. Gospel preaching, like in the book of Acts. I have not seen this.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
OBW

Quote:
Had to laugh at this one. I find it interesting that a proper interpretation of tongues -- a bona fide gift of the Holy Spirit -- could be "pitchforked" by the entire congregation as hay, straw, or stubble. Another feature seems to be that the tongue-message seems to mimic the general ministry of the church. In my congregation, there is no "hell-fire" kind of sermon, and hence, none of the tongue-messages nor their interpretations are of the "hell-fire" kind. All the ones I have heard are the "blessing" kind of message.

It's actually the only part of the service which appears spontaneous and open to the members to initiate. Perhaps I am wrong. These tongue-messages and their interpretations could be planned for.

From my limited observation, tongues have 3 purposes --
  1. General praise and worship. This is both public and private.
  2. Messages given in meetings, which require someone to interpret.
  3. Gospel preaching, like in the book of Acts. I have not seen this.
Suggesting that it is just hay, straw or stubble might be a little harsh. But they were mostly sure that it was not for them personally, but for some backsliding or never-saved person in their midst. And "backsliding" is a significant problem in a group that follows the Arminian thought on salvation (you can lose it).

Virtually all of the tongues that were not simply part of that jabbering during prayer times fell into category 2. And they sounded like the warnings of an OT prophet. Sometimes prefaced by phrases like "Ye, my people" and the like.

And no matter what, you have to remember that I am slightly more than 40 years removed from the AOG, so despite the rather uncanny ability to remember details of long-past events, we are really working on "long past" at this point.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
countmeworthy

Thanks all for your input. I concluded there are a lot of very strong true believers in Christ who are neither for or against tongue praying/speaking.

What I have learned is most non tongue/praying-speaking fellow brethren are not critical or judgmental of those who do. But my findings is most tongue-speaking brethren wants ALL believers to pray in tongues!

Many think we are not filled with the Holy Spirit if we don't or we are not baptized in the Holy Spirit if we do not speak in tongues.

That is absolutely not true!

However while there have been many who spontaneously spoke / speak in tongues, no one ever interprets what they are saying! They all acknowledge that if we speak in tongues in public there should be an interpreter but there is never anyone around to interpret!

I also think that if Nee/Lee had pushed us to speak in tongues, there would be a lot more posters / LC lurkers / LC members speaking and praying in tongues. I will probably get hammered for this comment so I'll go first:
Old 07-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
Ohio

Quote:
I also think that if Nee/Lee had pushed us to speak in tongues, there would be a lot more posters / LC lurkers / LC members speaking and praying in tongues. I will probably get hammered for this comment so I'll go first:
Regarding the matter of tongue-speaking among the Pentecostals, Witness Lee left me with two lasting conclusions ...

1. All tongue-speaking is fake
  2. Those who play with these fake things will become immoral
I'm not saying I agree with this, only that these are the conclusions I retained after hearing him speak for many years. I never heard anything positive about those who spoke in tongues.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
james73

Quote:
But my findings is most tongue-speaking brethren wants ALL believers to pray in tongues!
Yes this is true, and not just in tongues but in many addictive behaviours. Addiction seeks company - when I first discovered cigarettes, I wanted all my friends to try. Not because I was evil, but because I wanted them to experience that "joy" (sigh..... youth is my only defence!). The same behaviour is seen in tongue speakers, beer drinkers, pray-readers.

I think this thread has unveiled something which I have long suspected (being in a certain "recovery" myself before THAT Recovery): To casually hypothesize:

We (people in general) find pleasure in mood-altering substances or practices but the pleasure is short-lived and relies on a steady supply of the substance or practice. We want to shore up our "pleasure castle" by securing our supply: getting dealers, enhancing supply and demand and making it more socially acceptable by bringing others in - but we cannot make it too easy for them just to come in and say "yeah cool, i'm in" because then where's the security gone? Casual cocaine users are a pain in the butt to an addict, since they are mostly mooching and they do nothing to improve the "industry". They are more likely to get everyone arrested, or disrupt supply.

And in religion, the lady in my group who has dedicated her life to the Recovery and lived a very prim and proper life won't feel ANY comfort or security of supply if a tattooed ex-drug addict playboy can just come in and say "hey, yeah, I'm for Jesus, what's for dinner?" and get the same badge.

[aside... this lady was told age 14 that she could consider whether her piano playing, which she enjoyed, was for her or for God. After much prayer, she reluctantly gave it up and only played Hymns for the rest of her life.... saddest story i ever heard]

I'm thinking Jonah here. I think Jonah's annoyance at Nineveh getting saved is a big issue in the organized church. That lady, who gave up so much, doesn't want to accept a "casual" user, just like Jonah didn't want to accept Nineveh. If I can just come in so easily, her dedication has been for nothing! She could have played burlesque piano in a nude bar and dated sailors until age 33 and THEN come to the church, just the same, it's hardly fair! (I'm still thinking Jonah here!). Anyway, so "they", the organised addicts of religion, build up these castles, these entrance requirements to cope with the paradox of a) wanting desperately to share their addiction; but b) not wanting it to fall apart by becoming too accessible. In Pentecostals, it's tongues. In Judaism it was sacrifices, temples and high priests. In LC, the "entrance requirements" are ongoing "continuing professional development" in the form of work, proving your dedication, 12 hours of CPD per week in reading the Life Study and joining daily morning revivals, Home Groups, Lord's Table, Prophesying meetings.

The Good News, of course, is, all you have to do is say (and believe) "hey I'm for Christ" and you're in. Christ isn't a mood altering addiction, He's simply there and will never leave. Temple, tongues and Life Studies, THEY are all mood-altering addicitons and they can all go in the bin, this is Jesus' beautiful message. It's Good News to the unsaved, Terrible News to those who didn't genuinely accept Jesus into their lives but instead simply followed religious practice at great personal sacrifice.

Now I come to think of it, the guy I like at the LC group who has been helping me with some issues, he GENUINELY has Christ, he doesn't see anything in his life as a sacrifice and he never ever "pushes" Christ on anyone. He drives a red Porsche and runs a travel agency for Utah Mormons visiting China. He loves that I visit other churches and does the same himself from time to time. The others are, without exception, addicts. It's so blindingly clear to me now~~~

And so, back to the issue of tongues: if someone's eagerly and fervently recommending it to you, think "addict". If someone's quietly off doing it somewhere (well, you wouldn't know, but you know my meaning), then it could well be the genuine Holy Spirit upon them. Praise the Lord for that but never envy it because the Spirit is in you too just the same.
james73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
countmeworthy

Quote:
Regarding the matter of tongue-speaking among the Pentecostals, Witness Lee let me with two lasting conclusions ...

I'm not saying I agree with this, only those are the conclusions I retained after hearing him speak for many years. I never heard anything positive about those who spoke in tongues.
And that was all of our conclusions because he said so. There might be some closeted tongue speakers in the LSM but not for long or they did not continue in this practice. Peoples ways...whether in a church environment, home environment, or any group environment rub off on each other.

This is why we need to be careful who we hang with. Even the "world" gets it. Professional white collared people who make 6 figures and up ward are not going to hang out out with people who make less than 60,000 in principle.

So goes with tongue praying folks. I went to a tongue praying church for a few years. When I attended the Wednesday night prayer meetings, the pastor would set the agenda: 15 minutes for our country, 15 minutes for the church, 15 minutes for finances and 15 minutes for whatever... When the prayer service began, everyone prayed "in the spirit", tongues of course. After the 1st 15 minutes, he would tap his mik, so we could begin praying for the next subject..again in tongues. The tongues didn't change "language". After a while I stopped attending the prayer meetings and eventually I stopped going to 'church'

I noticed I would pray in tongues when everyone was praying. I did get tired and would pray in my English tongue. It was hard when everyone was babbling.

I think everyone I knew was the same way we knew each other in the LC..friendly but not too chummy..unless you somehow knew each other. On occasion I will be invited to a home fellowship.

My unchurched friends on the other hand and I hang out at each others houses and we let the Spirit flow. Please do not consider me arrogant with what I am about to say... I am more mature on Christ than they are so I am more insightful.

I sometimes have to correct them. I will correct them if they say things they ought not to say...if they disrespect the Lord's name, if they call some a name that is derogatory, things like that.

I know as their 'mentor', I can't stoop down to their level. For one, it is not in me, and 2 on the rare occasion I have, I have felt terrible afterwards, so I have had to repent for my conduct. And 3, I know that I know that I know they are watching my conduct!

Let's face it. How serious do you think they would take my ministering to them if I stooped to their level? Just so y'all understand, I have 2 childhood friends I am discipling. I have a different set of friends one religious friend who up to 6-7 months ago was a very bad backslider. I think something he did while on drugs finally sobered him up and he went back to his church..tongue speaking.

I have another childhood friend, (the one with the tat) who defends tongue speaking vehemently. She sarcastically asked me if I knew more than the pastor who has studied the bible all his life and had scriptures to back up tongue speaking. I did not want to argue w/her (she argues with everyone). And while I do not have the business experience of running a congregation, I probably could give him a run for his money.

I simply told her the Corinthians were the tongue speaking church who were very carnal...as she drank her beer. Btw, I do not judge people (Chtistians) if they drink a beer now and then. I look at their character as a whole just as they look at mine.

One day a few months ago we had a very mini high school reunion. Check this out: 4 of us got together before the 5th person joined us. My friend who I'm discipline and my "tongue speaking" beer drinking friend plus our -guest- who we had not seen in 20 plus years hooked up at a restaurant. Our guest was throwing F bombs all over the place. My friend "E" responded by hugging her, telling her with a big smile not to talk like that. The girl was overkill with them F bombs!

At some point, I told our friend, the 3 of us were born again believers. "The 3 of you??!". Yes, I told her. Before I could say anything else, our beer drinking, tongue believing friend changed the subject as she didn't want us to say anything about the Lord. Then our 5th friend joined us who is Catholic but does not want to hear anything about God or "religion".

So your point is valid Ohio.

THanks for tour input everyone!

BLessings and Joy,
Carol
Old 07-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #17
OBW

Quote:
Regarding the matter of tongue-speaking among the Pentecostals, Witness Lee left me with two lasting conclusions ...

I would not consider either of these simply true. But there is something about extreme positions that creates moral dilemmas.

First, there is a general teaching among some Pentecostals that being filled with the Holy Spirit gives you special spiritual strength against sin. This is the beginning of failure because you let your guard down since you think it is impossible, or nearly so.

Then, one little appreciated fact about the Pentecostal movement (at least its beginnings) is that it mostly sprang from the Methodists and retained the belief in the ability to lose salvation (Arminian). So, once you actually sin (and realize it) you are now "backslidden." And, in our tendency to believe that we have time, we will allow ourselves to enjoy our sin until we decide to "get saved" again.

In other words, there is a tendency to believe in hills of being Christian v valleys of being heathen rather than hills and valleys in the faith.

Now many of the newer charismatic independents are not of the Arminian persuasion. And also, fewer are as ideologically extreme as their old-school Pentecostal brethren.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #18
Ohio

Quote:
I'm not saying I agree with this, only that these are the conclusions I retained after hearing him speak for many years. I never heard anything positive about those who spoke in tongues.
Yet I was once told Titus Chu often spoke/prayed in tongues. Perhaps the word got out.

Another LC brother told me that the Azuza St. revival was definitely the move of the Spirit.

Today, however, I know many who speak in tongues and lead exemplary Christian lives, and are very knowledgeable in the Bible.