Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Orthopraxy - Christian Practice

Old 10-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
Freedom

Default Re: Double Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Even more labeling as rumors if you say or insinuate current coworkers knew about it and did nothing.
Your post reminded me of what Ron spoke in Ecuador:
Quote:
The temptation is to ask, who is right and who is wrong. Or you may try to find out for yourself what is right and what is wrong. “Oh, this man of death, Steve Isitt, he wrote something. And someone else is sending it everywhere. I need to figure this out; oh, I never heard these things. Could this be true? Did the brothers behave like that?” As soon as you think this way, you yourself are finished. Okay? Because you are on the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. You apply that tree to the situation.

So some may decide that this person is right. Others will say that person is wrong. That will lead to argument, dissension, division, and confusion. Who has all the information? There is a statement made about Brother Lee; you can’t ask Brother Lee about it.
I think it's fair to say that Ron knows very well what took place in the late 80's. If nothing else, he presumes to know since he wrote a book about it. But look at what he spoke in Ecuador. It's full of rhetorical questions. Nothing solid is stated, even though he played a role in providing the official narrative during that time period. The underlying implication with what he spoke in Ecuador is that all the talk about past events is just rumors because WL isn't here to verify it. It's interesting that he didn't presume to dispel what he believes to be "rumors".

It goes without saying that there are many brothers, still alive, that know what took place in the late 80's, and have chosen to keep their mouths shut. So there are no rumors in regards to the major events that took place. There are obviously little details that can't be verified, but the more important things can be verified by multiple witnesses. It is also significant that no one has ever refuted that certain things happened.
Isaiah 43:10 “You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
TLFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
I think it's fair to say that Ron knows very well what took place in the late 80's. If nothing else, he presumes to know since he wrote a book about it. But look at what he spoke in Ecuador. It's full of rhetorical questions. Nothing solid is stated, even though he played a role in providing the official narrative during that time period. The underlying implication with what he spoke in Ecuador is that all the talk about past events is just rumors because WL isn't here to verify it. It's interesting that he didn't presume to dispel what he believes to be "rumors".

It goes without saying that there are many brothers, still alive, that know what took place in the late 80's, and have chosen to keep their mouths shut. So there are no rumors in regards to the major events that took place. There are obviously little details that can't be verified, but the more important things can be verified by multiple witnesses. It is also significant that no one has ever refuted that certain things happened.
It's as if Witness Lee was the only one who could possibly corroborate what's been brought forth on this forum, thebereans.net, among other forums. All the while Ron and many current coworkers are quite capable of speaking for themselves. Question is, will they speak transparently or defer to the "Tree of knowledge" excuse mechanism?
Old 10-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
TLFisher

Another double standard is in regard to criticism of brothers that results in quarantines. Those of us who have met with the local churches are quote familiar what happened in 1990 and 2005/2006.
For example the geographic area that I was raised in Southern California, brothers are so quick to sign quarantine letters they know very little (if at all) about.
Yet if you were to question them about unrighteous matters than happened in Ontario, Ca they would likely say "I don't know. I don't know anything about what happened in that locality."
Old 10-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
Freedom

Quote:
Another double standard is in regard to criticism of brothers that results in quarantines. Those of us who have met with the local churches are quote familiar what happened in 1990 and 2005/2006.
For example the geographic area that I was raised in Southern California, brothers are so quick to sign quarantine letters they know very little (if at all) about.
Yet if you were to question them about unrighteous matters than happened in Ontario, Ca they would likely say "I don't know. I don't know anything about what happened in that locality."
I think it's safe to say that letters are signed and decisions are made as a result of external pressure and not out of necessity. Take the quarantine letter from 1990 for instance. How many of the signators of that letter even knew much about what happened besides what WL told them? It's a serious matter, signing something without knowing or understanding what is being signed.
Isaiah 43:10 “You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
Intothewind

Is that a fair assumption to make? I would only hope someone signing a letter would carefully read everything and discuss with everyone involved...
Intothewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #6
TLFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intothewind View Post
Is that a fair assumption to make? I would only hope someone signing a letter would carefully read everything and discuss with everyone involved...
You would think....More likely what happened; ignore your conscience, treat the signature as a check endorsement, and just be one with the brothers and go on positively.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #7
Ohio

Quote:
You would think....More likely what happened; ignore your conscience, treat the signature as a check endorsement, and just be one with the brothers and go on positively.
They would never actually say "ignore your conscience."

Rather they would say, "Brothers, this is a test for all of us. Don't get involved with right and wrong. Those brothers are eating from the wrong tree, and look what happened to them -- now they are rebelling against the Lord. Pay attention to life brothers, trust the Lord, and let Bruther Lee take care of this. This letter just reaffirms our oneness with God's NT ministry in His divine economy that we all would go on in one accord in these final days for the building up of all the local churches, yada, yada, choke, gag."